Sign in to follow this  
hev

nuisance calls

my MIL just been on the phone and she keeps getting salespeople ringing her all the time,she finds it hard to get up so the calls are not wanted,does anyone know of a number or website where we can block sales calls,ive heard of it before but cant remember it,thanks

BT run a scheme where they offer caller ID (for all calls) and an opt-out scheme (for sales calls). This is free of charge. Can't remember the exact name but BT operator will know. As for getting up to the phone - why doesn't she get a cordless one, then she can keep it with her.

It's called the Telephone Preference Service.

The phone number for this service is:

0845 070 0707

You can also access it on-line, by going to:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

Registration can be done at:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

Unfortunately this only covers UK-based "nuisance calls" (or maybe it's EU-based ones - not sure ... :unsure:), so you may still get bothered by (usually) American telemarketers.

Also remember it can take up to 28 days for this change to take effect, so your mother-in-law may still be bothered by these calls for another month yet unfortunately. :(

James

You may find that you still get cold calls even when you are registered with the TPS (not all companies follow the rules and check the lists).

However, if someone does cold call, just say "can I take your name please so I can include it on my complaint / report to the TPS?" They usually hang up pretty sharpish :D

Hi Everyone

I was told that you also have to register on the Silent Call Guard for it to work. Don't know if this is only for BT though :unsure:

CPS 0800398893 (takes 28 days)

Silent Call Guard 08704443969 (takes 48 hrs)

This lasts for 1 year

Haven't had any more calls though (touching wood)

We're with Telewest and use their withheld calls blocker - I think it's ?1 a month. We also use their free answerphone service and very rarely pick up the phone using just 1471 or the answerphone service.

If it's a cold caller we just ignore the call.

Daisy

Hi,

I registered with the TPS after getting about 3 or 4 sales calls every day. It took a few months to filter out those pests, but i hardly ever get any calls now :D .

On a funny note, Kai answered the phone the other day and i heard him say, "Are you selling something?". It turned out to be my boss! :oops:

Loulou

I use the TPS one myself, and get the free caller display for my BT line aswell, I have also reported these nasty little companies who get through :thumbs:

I have registered with TPS but got call from marketing company this morning. When I asked where they got my number as I'm on TPS she said I'd need to speak to BT as they had transferred them the number. I pointed out I'm not with BT but she said that didn't matter, she was only trying to do her job. Does BT pass on numbers for marketing purposes?