Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Given up smoking!! Not easy!

Nice to have an official off topic area, feel justified in posting about this now!! :D

Gave up the fags on New Years Eve, haven't had one since was feeling very pleased with myself and not struggling too much until tonight!!! Don't know why am know dying for one :tearful:

Won't have on 'cos too late to go to shop now kids in bed but if someone walkedd in and offered me one I know I'd accept, ###### disappointed in my lack of willpower now :(

Anyone else given up??

Luv Witsend.

Hi i gave up 2 years ago. Dont have one you would feel so bad if you do it's not worth it. I know how hard it is to give up. I remember i was climbing the walls but it did pass and now im fine. Keep going. Good luck

>:D<<'> hi

my mum, gave up few years back and she had smoked for years and years-she used zyban from the gp and swore it helped her also alan carrs book about giving up which is really good

i my self have smoked on and off for years now been given up since last may -due to being single again as i find when im in relationships it makes me more stressed and i smoke.

but mainly health reasons had lot probs with abnormal cells in the cervix and was told smoking can contribute to it......still undergoing checks and possible treatment, also its healther for my son who been dx with asthma.

i dont drink much now as i found this triggered me off wanting to smoke. i feel lot better and have more cash and try to eat more healther.

i wish you luck as its really hard,and with demanding children-im afraid ive replaced cigs with more cups of tea :lol: im also on tablets though and think this has helped to calm me down and helped me not craving for the release of a cig.

Well done for getting this far.

I have never smoked either but I know how I'd feel if I had to give up tea and coffee.

Witsend,

Well done for giving up, I gave up 2.5 years ago after many attempts and I'm very glad I did. It's one of the best things you coud have done for you AND your children.

A very good place for advice and support if you are giving up smoking is http://quitnet.com, there are various forums etc. on there. It's mainly American but there are plenty of Brits too. (Check out the British Quitters club). A good place to go when your motivation to quit dips a little.

Good luck!

Simon

Well done you :clap:

If you've managed since New Years Eve - DONT GIVE IN NOW

I'm still a 10 a day girl I'm afraid. I'm having problems with high pressure in my eyes tho, which is apparently a possible pre cursor to glaucoma & I am very young to have this problem (not very young, just very young for this :P ). I've read that smoking exacerbates this, so I'm starting to plan to give up.

I know that sounds really woolly but the most success I had with giving up the weed was when I planned it for 3 months in advance. I then managed 3 weeks and 5 days.

Stupid girl that I am I then had a fag & here I am back up to 10 a day.

Keep strong. Stick with it. Don't give in.

It's ###### hard but worth it I'm sure. Think how proud you can be of yourself for lasting one day longer, then another then another.

Witsend

You may want to give people around you the following:

Dear all my friends and colleagues:

I am going to try (yet again), to quit smoking. So I am serving fair warning. During the next while I will ask you to completely disregard anything I may say, as I have been known in past quit attempts to become quit irrational, and even, shall I say a wee bit nasty. So If I say something you may find offensive, please disregard it, and do not take it personally, it is just my addiction talking. Above all do not confront me on it, I know (again from past experience), that I will be looking to pick a fight, so don't give me an excuse. Much as this may surprise you, I can be one nasty B**T*H, when I am in the mood for it. Yes, I know, you would not expect this of me, but consider yourself warned ahead of time. Just go away shaking your head, and say to yourself, she is sure having a hard time of it, she could use my support :)

On the other hand, if you too are looking for a fight, I may just be your babe.. try me on, you never know what you will get, I may scrap like a lioness, or I may just burst into tears, your guess is as good as mine.

This said, if you should have any one whom you may think need a good dose of reality therapy, or just a general telling off, steer them my direction, I will I am sure to gladly oblige. Come to think of it should you have an enemy or two you would like me to yell at, or possibly a relative, or errant child you would like chastised, I will be at your service. I do ask that you do not send me on any foolish errands, and I become quit remorseful when I recover my senses, and I know I will have enough apologising to do on my own without the added burden of chasing down people I do not know to express my heart felt apologies to. This has been known to send me into a deep depression, and God Knows, you do not want that! If you think my testiness is bad, you don't want to see the Poor, poor pitiful me side, it is down right sickening.

I will be using the aid of Zyban, and this helps me considerably, but has the unfortunate side effect of making me a little manic. So let me buzz, let me clean, let me whiz around. Have some understanding that I will walk into a room half a dozen times before I will remember why I went there in the first place. But know, I have been known to actually get something accomplished. It may be useless, and meaningless, but it will get done. So if any of you have any useless, meaningless tasks, that require no thought process to accomplish, send them my way. I will be suffering from CRS (Can't remember ****). I will not mind them, as I will forget them as soon as they are done, Hell I may forget them as I am doing them.

Do not offer me a cig. I will be eternally grateful at the time, but will come back later to claim your first born, and all other descendants you may propagate. If you have no intention of propagating, I promise I will haunt you, after what will surely be my early demise. Do not ask what I intend to do with said first borne, and their antecedents, you do not want to know!

I will have available to me, all kinds of things to abate my oral fixation, most healthy, but some not. You are welcome to have some, as long as you leave me enough to combat my needs. Don't ever take the last one. YOU WILL BE SORRY! Under no circumstances touch my water bottle. I have spit in it, so you takes your chances :)

This said, I do hope you can all be supportive of this. It is one of the hardest things I will ever do. I do not ask you to quit with me, you can if you want, but I do ask for some understanding, or at least to just ignore me.

Thank you in advance for your support.

ive tried and failed miserably to stop smoking :( maybe if i found something that brought my stress levels down like cigarettes do it would be easier

Thank you all for your replies and support. It is now eleven days since I smoked and today I am feeling good about it, really really hope I can do it this time. Am eating an enormous amount and will soon prob be able to roll everywhere instead of walk :lol: but guess I'll just have to tackle that one next!

Thanks for the quote thing Mossgrove - made me laugh - though actually uncannily accurate in parts :ph34r:

Jill and lindy-lou Good Luck for the future when you feel the time is right I'm sure you will do it too ( well if I can.... :P ).

Cheers you lot, you're fab.

Witsend.

Witsend,

Hang on in there girl. :clap: It really is worth all the effort!

I gave up 20 years ago when my son was admitted to hospital with asthma.

Nellie xx

good luck witsend. I gave up 22 years ago and I was on about 30 a day then. I had tried loads of times to cut down but it just did not work. Then I got a really really bad chest infection and I couldn't smoke even though I must admit I was still tempted :sick: I have not had one ciggie since then, because I can't have just one if you know what I mean.I started off taking loads of cut up fruit and veg into work, which lasted all of 2 days :lol: I swiftly moved on to sweeties particularly liquorice(sp)I'll be thinking of you >:D<<'>

i used to go to a ebd school and i was fourced in to smoking by a gang of bullies every morning they would corner me and make me smoke a fag round the back of the scool i told the teachers and my mum but the bullies got away with it and i kept being made to smoke 4 years on i am still suffering from there crulty i am now addicted to smoking and i smoke a lot i am 18 and i have virtually zero confidence in myself (that whats my mum says) i am finding it very very hard to stop smoking am still trying to mentally prepair myself for my next battle between nicoteen adiction and no fags(next time i try to give up)

i