Stephanie

Cranial Oesteopathy

A friend and I both have 4 year old ASD sons and are thinking of taking them for cranial oesteopathy. I have used it before for my other son when he was a baby and it had astounding results.

Has anyone tried it with their ASD child - I would be interested to know what changes I may see in my son if it works.

Be interested to hear any comments.

Cheers lovelies!

Stephanie x

I've been taking J to a cranial osteopath since July and I believe it's made an incredible difference to him. I can't explain what's being done to him because I don't fully understand it myself, and the osteo himself doesn't talk much about the technicalities because he says it's too complicated to explain - I tend to go on the results even though it does sound and look a bit far-fetched. A lot of people have poo-pooed CO but I speak as I find and although J hasn't been 'fixed' (far from it!) we certainly have had more windows of opportunity to explain behaviours to him and get through to him more. He's generally more responsive, to the extent that he learned to ride his bike without stabilisers within a few weeks of starting treatment, whereas before he'd just get on the thing and go before we had a chance to say anything about balance, control etc. Suddenly he was patient enough to listen to our advice and - more to the point - follow it and get results.

I should point out that J doesn't have a dx yet but we're waiting for a second opinion - he's suspected of having AS but although he scored highly on ADOS at his recent assessment it was mostly in emotional and social development and not spread across the triad sufficiently to define a diagnosis. His AS would seem to be rather mild compared to many on this board, but still we've had our share of meltdowns and lack of friends so he certainly qualifies as one of the club as far as I can see.

My own opinion about CO is to give it a try. I tried it for J because it was the one therapy I'd heard only positive reports about - even those who felt it hadn't benefited their child had nothing negative to say about it.

Gotta go now, my pc's being rebuilt...

Karen

x

do you have to pay for it, or can you get it on the NHS? . :D

do you have to pay for it, or can you get it on the NHS? . :D

I've only heard of private practitioners I'm afraid. It's not that expensive though, but I guess it's all relative to personal circumstances. J's charged 35 quid (sorry, after PC rebuild I no longer have a pound sign...) for first consultation which lasted an hour, including first investigative examination. Thereafter it's been 27 pounds per 30-45 minutes session. He doesn't have regular weekly sessions as the osteo prefers to examine him each time and decide then when he should see him next. Initially it was three-weekly but after his appointment on Saturday I don't have to take him back for another six weeks. He's definitely making progress though.

You'll find a directory of cranial osteopaths here: http://www.cranial.org.uk/ General osteopaths are quite commonplace but it's harder to find a cranial osteo in some areas.

Karen

x