KarenT

1-1 support

Following on from my thread on making reasonable adjustment, I wonder if any of you (Hi phasmid!) can advise on 1-1 support.

In my meeting with J's class teacher this week she mentioned an incident during PE. Apparently before the session J had been 'acting silly' (for which I would read 'acting autistically and probably under stress for some reason) and she'd asked him if he felt he could manage PE without being silly or would he prefer to sit out. (I reminded her that J should not miss out on PE as it's part of the curriculum and he should be helped to access it.) He'd then climbed to the top of the hall between two ropes and jumped 20 feet to the floor. Teacher checked he was OK and told him to be more careful, he then climbed to the top again and lost his balance when coming down, resulting in him falling the last few feet and being slapped in the face by the leather-bound ends of both ropes, leaving slight bruising.

How do you think I'd stand requesting 1-1 support for J during PE sessions, given that he has no formal dx at this stage, no statement and is on SA?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Karen

x

The school has an obligation to ensure J's safety and if these sort of incidents are common in PE you have a strong case for arguing for it in this situation. You don't actually need a dx they should be responding on health and safety grounds.

I would go in and talk over your concerns and see if they are willing to put this support in place. Whatever the result of your discussions, confirm the salient details of the discussion back to the school in writing. Incidentally, keep a diary of all such events, so that you can build your case, ideally, also write to the school on all occasions to put on record your version of events. I know I keep going on about detailing everything in writing to the school, but you need to build up your evidence of need separate to the school, and unless it is recorded in writing, and sent to the school, you are struggling.

Incidentally, keep a diary of all such events, so that you can build your case, ideally, also write to the school on all occasions to put on record your version of events. I know I keep going on about detailing everything in writing to the school, but you need to build up your evidence of need separate to the school, and unless it is recorded in writing, and sent to the school, you are struggling.

I fully agree with you Tez, and I keep an ongoing diary of all events associated with J, appointments, advice all sorts of things and I write up notes of meetings I've attended on his behalf as soon as I get home and it's still fresh(ish!) in my head. That's why I'm pushing for a home-school diary as well.

Thanks.

Karen

x

The school has to use its best endeavours to ensure that the childs special educational needs are met - if that includes supervision and assistance during PE - then I think that answers that one nicely :rolleyes:

I would have thought that before excluding a child from a lesson, all steps should have been taken to ensure that the child was fully able to access the lesson and therefore be fully inlcuded.

Make sure you note the incident in writing to the school.

HelenL