Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

A Mixed up day...

Started off going by going to the CAMHS psychiatrist meeting with hubby. Ended up doing another Aspergers Questionnaire as the psychiatrist didn't have anything from when the paed did her assessment. It was all kept very light-hearted, and at one point, I thought that the psych would turn around and say that there was nothing wrong with Louis.

We finished the questionnaire, and the psych said that 'Louis definately has aspergers syndrome'.

We have been given Connors questionnaires to fill in (plus one for the school) to assess for likelihood of ADHD as well.

We were given a choice of medications. Ritalin, Rispiridone, Strattera, and Melatonin.

The psych vetoed ritalin straight away. Saying that he doesn't like to use it in the first instance because of it's side effects, and what can happen to children with AS when they take ritalin (his words - they go Zombie like, and we don't want that!)

Rispiridone, again, he said that he would prefer it if that was a second choice medication.

We have gone for a low dose of Strattera, and are going to trial it for 3 months, with an appointment to see psych in 6 weeks.

We have also got a prescription for melatonin which we are only going to use if and when Louis needs it.

I don't think we were meant to get the presctription though, as we had to go back 3 times for various reasons (including the psych forgetting to sign the 'script.)

We also photocopied all of Louis's reports to go to the school we viewed yesterday. Hopefully they will get back to us soon and let us know whether they can help Louis.

What a day...........is this the diagnosis???...how do you feel >:D<<'> ..............feels like you,ve climbed a mountain but don,t get to see the lovely view...............well thats how I felt. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> ..........hugs to you hope your o.k. Suzex.

Suze, it seems like Aspergers Syndrome is the diagnosis.

2 different doctors, 2 different assessments, 1 diagnosis.

Only difference is that only one of them could prescribe the meds. The other couldn't because of the inability to do follow up.

How do I feel? I don't know. I suppose no different to before other than I'm still not sure about the medications. In a way I am pleased that he is being given the chance to try them, but I also feel a bit sad I suppose that my son has to try medications in order to help him...

Microsoft_admin - CAMHS is Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.

>:D<<'> Hunni >:D<<'>

I remember the feeling very, very well. :(

One minute your pleased - next your not... Rollercoaster is definately the right word for it.

Take it easy >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Glad you finally got a diagnosis confirmed

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> for when it all starts to sink in ... - be gentle with yourself