Sign in to follow this  
madmooch

computer whiz kid

My 2yr old daughter has managed to change the background on my desktop to the background on the forum :huh::o:lol:

How she's done it i dont know, it takes me all my time to figure things out :blink:

Clare

My 2yr old daughter has managed to change the background on my desktop to the background on the forum :huh::o:lol:

How she's done it i dont know, it takes me all my time to figure things out :blink:

Clare

sound like me when i was 2

when i was 2 i could install programs on the computor and change the screen savors backgrounds themes and much more as well

unfortunatly my dad (who i hate lol just glad he is dead) wasent willing to show me how to use the computor so i had to teach myself

a word of warning though

if your 2 year old can change the background on your dek top now then teach her how to configer and use a computors configiration settings propperly when i was teaching myself about computors i was infamous for breaking them i would mess around with things like virtual memory and every time i did the computor would stop working i would over clock the cpu and every time i did we had to buy new computor

teach you daughter what each setting does and tell her whats ok to play with and whats not

im not a parent just an 18 year old aspie and i got in to so much trouble over computors and sometimes it wasent eaven my fault

when i was in primary school i was using a computor and as soon as i finished it was no longer working i offerd to try and fix it but some other kid said you broke it in the first plalce well i got a detention for that and thing is he only said that because he had seen me changing the background on the computor the day before

MM india is 3 and she amazes me what she can do on the pc,she knows how to find things in her favourites,use paint,put media files on,do a google image search and set her desktop background :o shes learnt most of it by herself too.

well like i said before im not a parent but most kids learn thigs super fast when they are young and i read on internet that asd people have a natural stregnth for computors or maths or science (im computors and science maths is my weakness as i have dyscalculia) so the super fast learning and the natural stregnth prob go hand in hand

but do teach them what each setting does and whats ok to alter and whats not i would say that this is important because i maniged to perminitly break 32 computors while i was teaching myself

microsoft india is forever fiddling with the settings on my pc too,i can only teach her what i know which isnt a great deal,just enough to get by,she will probably know more than me by 5 years old.

microsoft india is forever fiddling with the settings on my pc too,i can only teach her what i know which isnt a great deal,just enough to get by,she will probably know more than me by 5 years old.

if you go to start settings control pannal you will see a list of all the difrent settings there will be one called systems tell her not to go in to that at all that is the one were you can end up doing magor damige to your computor

well you dont have to know that much about computors to stop the kids totally werking the computor lol

just make shure they dont go in to system and make shure they dont get in to bios (THAT IS A BIG NO NO AREA)

Whats BIOS? :oops::lol:

Clare

Bios stands for Basic Input Output system it is bios is a type of software that is stored in the cmos computor chip (computor chip on the circut board in side the computor)bios can be accsessed by pressing a key during the first few seconds of the start up routene the key that u ushually press to acsess bios is either the delet key or the one of the function keys (a functin key is one of those keys at the top of the key board ie F<then numore here between 1 and 12> so F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12) if the bios accsess key is a funtion key it is ushually F1 or F12 but can be a difrent key it depends on the bios vershion

if you have a second computor i can guide you through the prosess of putting a pass word on the bios to protect it (if some one trys to accses bios they will have to put a pass word in they will get 3 chanses and then the system will hault) i would be reluctant about guiding you through this prosess if you dont have a second computor that you can use the internet on

if your daughter maniges to get in to bios there are an infanite numbor of things that can go wrong with the computor if the settings are alterd the bios settings are extreamily sensitive they controll things like the amount of power going to the cpu the tempriture of the hard drives power usage for each componenet over clocking memary accses system resorses if any of the settings in the bios are out by 1 or not set to the specified settings provided in the hard ware manules then the computor will not work at all

Edited by microsoft_admin

Hmmmmmm sounds familiar !! :blink:

Second week of pre-school, supervisor came up to me and asked if we have a computer at home. We didn't so i said 'Nope'. Little monkey had started up the compter - found game he wanted to play (without the desktop shortcut), played the game - printed it off - and shut down the comp............ :o:huh::blink:

As i said - we didn't have a computer then and he hadn't 'had a go' on anyone elses - he'd just copied her from the previous day.

Clever Little Monkey :lol::D

Com was playing on the computer one day when he came trotting out of the office (never runs) saying there was a bomb on the computer (old mac error message) but it was alright he'd fixed it - this was 1994 and we'd had to take out a ?5000 loan for that computer :o

Never seen Nemo panic like that before or since!

At 2 years old Com had managed to follow the instructions on the desk top, shut the computer down, restart it and get back, through several layers of files (no desktop icons for the kids in those days) into the editing mode of the game he was playing :lol:

The hospital where my mother worked in 1980 had a filing cabinet sized minicomputer in an office wired up to some medical equipment out in the ward. The computer and any electronic medical equipment fascinated me. Sometimes a doctor would let me press a few button or connect test leads to the medical equipment, but the computer was strictly out of bounds. I wasn't even allowed in the office and could only look at it through a glass panel. One day the computer was left unattended and the office door wasn't locked. I entered the office and started playing around with the computer. The screen displayed lots of menus and graphs and tables of data. It was fascinating. A few minutes later all these security guards marched into the office. I must have set off an alarm. They were shocked to see this little kid that was only 2 or 3 years old pushing buttons on the keyboard changing all the graphs and data tables.

Do I hold the record for the world's youngest hacker?

Probably Canopus. :lol: ,

And I probably hold the record for the oldest person never to have used a computer. I was about 26. I still have to ask my children to guide me through everthing!

K

well i first hacked a computer when i was 11 months old (thats not a joke)

it was a simple computer and very big

i was staring at the internet leads and it accourd to me that if a computer conects to other computers to form and accssess the internet

then there ggot to be way of viwing files on that computer

so i got on internet (eaven then i could use google and i was pritty good at reading then as well) and read up on hacking i then proceded to hack the computer that one of ougher negbors had well i got in and created a new docment saying hi im jonathon from ovar the road i just maniged to hacke you computer come over this house if you whant proof) well they came over 5 min afta claiming that my mum had done it as they couldent beleve an 11month old could do this well my mum asked me infront of them if i did it and i said yes and whent back to the computer

i was a very very good hacker by the time i was 6 but unfortunatley it all stopped there i tried to hack a computer at the local tescos express so i could get free choclate well i got caught and tescos pusued it all the way to court and on that day my as was a virtye as it got me cleard of the crim i had unwittingly comited at 6 and unfortunatly got my computer confiscated (had my owen computer when i was 6)

in light of the above facts i dont think you have won the youngest hacker evear award Canopus sorry

well i first hacked a computer when i was 11 months old (thats not a joke)

it was a simple computer and very big

i was staring at the internet leads and it accourd to me that if a computer conects to other computers to form and accssess the internet

then there ggot to be way of viwing files on that computer

so i got on internet (eaven then i could use google and i was pritty good at reading then as well) and read up on hacking i then proceded to hack the computer that one of ougher negbors had well i got in and created a new docment saying hi im jonathon from ovar the road i just maniged to hacke you computer come over this house if you whant proof) well they came over 5 min afta claiming that my mum had done it as they couldent beleve an 11month old could do this well my mum asked me infront of them if i did it and i said yes and whent back to the computer

When exactly was this? The internet didn't exist until 1995ish although ethernet and token ring networks existed back in the 1980s. Google came into the world in 1998 so you must have been 10 or 11 years old if you claim you are 18 today.

When exactly was this? The internet didn't exist until 1995ish although ethernet and token ring networks existed back in the 1980s. Google came into the world in 1998 so you must have been 10 or 11 years old if you claim you are 18 today.

And your IQ would be very high ifyour reading was that good at 11 month.

im not shure when it was i know i used the internet to do it and i know i was very very young when i did this

My 2 and half year old cancelled a dvd from burning today and it was not a rewriteable disk....I tell you his dad was not happy :lol:

My 2 and half year old cancelled a dvd from burning today and it was not a rewriteable disk....I tell you his dad was not happy :lol:

lol there is a program called dvdr re right turns the dvd in to a re rightable one (must have a 252 speed dvd drive for it to work)

lol there is a program called dvdr re right turns the dvd in to a re rightable one (must have a 252 speed dvd drive for it to work)

my dh got a job at his school for hacking into computers and so knows what he's talking about :lol: and said no really you can't and the disk is only good for binning :huh:

well he prob right actually since it was only rumer i read about

I don't doubt he's right - he's sooo clever :D and all mine. :D

good for you you must be prood (by the way what does dh mean)

Yeah my four year old is a computer whizz when I let him be. I hear that it's good to get them on playstations etc so that they can relate to their peers at school about it. On the other hand I hear computers are bad for ASD kids as they should be concentrating on social skills rather than looking into a screen. I guess a lot of ASD kids are going to be IT people of the future.

He only goes on every now and again when I let him, I am more wary of him since he deleted all my pics off the digital camera - choked!

I hear that it's good to get them on playstations etc so that they can relate to their peers at school about it. On the other hand I hear computers are bad for ASD kids as they should be concentrating on social skills rather than looking into a screen.

I have heard this one a million times before. It all boils down to popular youth culture vs inappropriate interests. An obsession is not an obsession if it is generally considered popular culture. If the point is reached where 99.9% of kids have a Playstation and use them for several hours a day, then society will accept it as the norm if kids talk about nothing but video games in the school playground. The tiny minority of kids who don't take an interest in Playstations will be victimised and marginalised in the same way as kids that don't play football or ride bikes. In the 1980s it was considered socially acceptable for kids to spend 4 hours a day staring at a television screen but not 4 hours a day in front of a computer.

I guess a lot of ASD kids are going to be IT people of the future.

If you can get them to program that is. Does anybody here have a kid that programs?

Com tried it but has decided that design is far less tedious and now insists that Nemo does most of the coding - Com is brilliant with the ideas and can tell you how to implement them but just isn't interested in spending the time actually doing it.

Isn't that how the computer industry works these days anyway? - the ideas people farm it out to programmers in places like India who will do all the tedious stuff for very little money.

Zemanski

Just to emphasis what Admin has already said: DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH THE BIOS!

All my upgrades or change of computers in the last seven years have been the result of me breaking them and then the next generation of the broken component is then affordable as a repair/replacement. This unfortunately means my PC is always going to be a med-spec games machine because I'm always shelling out for affordable repairs instead of saving it for a big upgrade. If I can last until summer without breaking it, I can get a better video card.

Com tried it but has decided that design is far less tedious and now insists that Nemo does most of the coding - Com is brilliant with the ideas and can tell you how to implement them but just isn't interested in spending the time actually doing it.

I always thought that the design people tended to be NT types and the people that got down to the nitty gritty low level side of things were those who tended to have AS. Being an expert programmer takes skill, dedication, and concentration.

Bittorent was not the creation of Bram Cohen. It was conceived by one of his former employers but Cohen came up with the code in his own time at home. He has recently been diagnosed with AS.

Isn't that how the computer industry works these days anyway? - the ideas people farm it out to programmers in places like India who will do all the tedious stuff for very little money.

Indian computer people also have ideas as well. The third world is quite capable of decimating the entire software industry in Britain.

I'm fully aware of that - America is getting pretty worried, India and the east in general is just hitting a development boom as they find their way into the west's nice little earners and just now the technology they need to enter that market is very cheap so there's nothing to stop them using their ideas.

I always thought Com would love the programming side - a you say it seems to fit the criteria for people who can obsess - but he prefers to figure out the system and then leave the grind to someone else and move on to the next idea. Com is a very abstract thinker and as such is rarely interested in the actual practicalities.

I'm fully aware of that - America is getting pretty worried, India and the east in general is just hitting a development boom as they find their way into the west's nice little earners and just now the technology they need to enter that market is very cheap so there's nothing to stop them using their ideas.

Establishing a software and IT industry is attractive to many third world countries because it doesn't require a high level of financial investment compared to say car manufacturing or fibre optics. Computers and computer textbooks are cheap.

I always thought Com would love the programming side - a you say it seems to fit the criteria for people who can obsess - but he prefers to figure out the system and then leave the grind to someone else and move on to the next idea. Com is a very abstract thinker and as such is rarely interested in the actual practicalities.

Some people tend to be systems oriented whereas others excel at low level details. In electronics I happen to be in-between as I prefer working at circuit level. Above this is systems level and below is physical level. Quite often a systems level person and a low level person makes a perfect pair.

I had difficulty understanding object oriented programming as I was used to programming in C and assembly language which are low level. Com probably wouldn't want to touch anything lower level than Java.