Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

making visual board

hello

my sons social worker came round other day ,and suggested i make a visual board for him so he can see what hes doing next

im sure i saw another post about this a while back but i didnt pay attention then.

i got a magnetic board and magnets but need some pictures or cards to use[not very good at drawing]

any one any ideas on this?

i hope it works -i hope it stops the screaming inbetween moving from one thing to another.

p.s was trying to say in the title i got no printer, but wasnt enough room.

Edited by rainbow queen

Hi there

Dont really have any advice but will be interested in your answers as my SALT spoke today about us doing the same for my son. We'll be using makaton symbols as we intend to use them with him along with signing at the moment anyway.

Lynne

Try ebay,put in autisum and there's plenty of thing to help with all kinds of communication,

Hope it helps

Our SALT made some up for Lewis and his school can do them for him too. I think they use boardmaker. It's an official thing and i'm not sure but i think it costs :crying: anyway you could try googleing it and see what comes up!

www.dotolearn.com has a good section on pictures for a visual timetable. Is there anyone you know with a printer that could run them off for you?

Lx

i looked at e bay and yes they got all things i need

but alas ive no account with them or any credit cards :(

but there is loads of stuff i would get -surely there is a shop that sells these cards and pictures,where i could ring up and order then send cheque or postal order ?

:blink:

sounds intreging not 100% shure it would work with me though lol

If your small person is at school they should have the facilities to help you. Don't go and spend lots of money or spend lots of time making things when they can and should do it for you. After all better behaviour at home=better behaviour at school. SALT should be able to help too. Love Kat

Hi

We did get our visual timetable from ebay. The ebay shop was Visikidds although I just typed in visual timetable to the ebay search. It cost ?15. Yes I could have made it myself but the money was worth the time saved and the pictures are really good. I couldn't find an actual timetable anywhere else.

The do2learn site already mentioned is the other place I would suggest as well. Plus our OT gave us some photocopied sheets of symbols and she said she would help us if we needed it. So try OT as well as SALT.

I trawled through the educational catalogues at work. I might have missed one so I can't say they definitely don't do them there.

The Mayer-Johnson website, which sells the boardmaker CD roms also sells books of visual symbols, which are much cheaper than the CD roms, and all you have to do is photocopy the ones you need and laminate them (or stick them onto card and cover with sticky-backed clear plastic if you don't have a laminator)

Otherwise, you could take photos with a cheapie disposable camera, and use these.

I've just recently made one.

I found a cheapie puzzle in a shop with times throughout the day and pictures on it and laminated them with magnets on the back, works excellant but has nackered my laminator, lol.

For pictures for rewards etc you can cut out pictures from a catalogue or use wrappings from fast food take aways if your child has that as a treat or if it's swimming then use part of a leaflet.

For other things my son likes to do like going to the park for a treat or going fishing I just looked for clipart.

The board is great even though my son doesn't like it or so he says, but it helps me to keep to on track of telling him what is happening next and what is part of the normal daily routine.

check out www.speakingofspeech.com loads of free sppech and language resourses on it