punky

please tell me your stories

erm - wether its amusing depends on viewpoint and humour ( mines dry and caustic) and ive probably got random humour! 3 incidents stick in my mind, but they may not seem funny to some ( i cracked up tho!)

when son was 3 and was xmas eve had a chitchat about santa coming with presents later - son looked at me like i was deranged, sniffed and pointed out to me that 'santa couldnt exist because reindeers cant actually fly' I gave up then at the concept of xmas fairy tales!!

then at 4, he was being walked home from nursery by minder and 9yr old son, my boy points to a stop sign and booms 'whats that' - 9yr old says ' a stop sign' son retorts - 'its and octagon actually' :blink:

when he was 7 i got internet and was sitting here doing IQ tests - he begged me to let him have a go, i gently explained that they were grown up tests and not to expect much.......................

ever had ur IQ thrashed by a 7 yr old? Humiliating!! he hasnt let me forget it to this day :tearful:

xx pep ( told u they were weird)

Hi there,

Not sure if you will find these funny but i will give it a go:-

My AS son was around 7 at the time and he was spinning outside went to check out what he was doing and he got a fright and fell over and bumped his head he shouted out "Thanks alot now i have lost vital information."

Coming from South Africa and moving to Essex has been a big change especially with the ascent of people my son has picked up on the habit of dropping his TH's and we have been pointing this out too him. The lady who lives next door looks after dogs and my son ran home and said to us "Poor gunner he is death!" I was very confused I said "what do you mean death, did he die. "No, he's death, you know he cant hear". He took it literally and no amount of pointing it out he still says death for deaf.

This happened recently... My folks live with us and with the usually sleep patterns of Keegan he was up most of the night. he snuck into my folks room and woke them up, my mom said best go back to bed now its late and your mom and dad will be cross with you. He says very innocently its ok the doors closed and moms on top of dad by now. (I know what you are thinking) not that lucky - he meant that I always have too have one of my legs over my hubby to get to sleep (could have been another pun there but you know what I mean). Out of the mouths of babes.

I could go on all night but I will stop there

justamom

:lol::lol: No that was funny. M y 8 year old own 2 land snails. I was in a shop when i seen they sold plastic ones but monster size. I thought it would be so funny to put one in his tank. enyway i put it in and it really did look real i thought he would find it so funny. Did he hell he looked at me like i was insane and said what happened to my snail. whots it doing in there. i said it's a joke can you not see why thats funny. No he said and walked of even now he dosent get it :blink: Now i've got to laght but i felt really stupid :lol:

M has no real concept of a joke or if we are joking when we talk to him. He will often ask me if i'm joking even if i say something and am smiling. He also has great trouble 'reading' a situation.

Well.......

On holiday last year hubby and M went off to get some drinks whilst we were sitting round the pool. M has a thing about ice cubes so wanted a cup of them. I was laying on the sunbed reading a book and hadn't seen them coming back. Hubby had a handful of ice cubes no one knew about. He leant over me and put them down my swimming costume. I screamed with shock and my mum said M's face went blank, probably as he tried to work out what was going on. He then screamed and threw his cup of ice cubes at this poor lady opposite who had her back to us. I'm not sure who was more shocked her or us. :oops:

It took us a long time to calm M down and make him realise daddy had been joking with mummy. We won't be doing that again. :lol:

mum22boys

I don't know wherther this is ASD related or just to do with Ds1 being a toddler, but it's still pretty funny. He goes to a toddler group every Tuesday morning and whilst he ignores the other children he's happy to wander around and play in his own way with the toys. It's a church based group (I'm not religious myself) so every week they sing religious songs and have little parables told them. The first week we went (about two months ago) the story was based on the Parable of the Lost Sheep, only instead of sheep it was lost milk bottle tops. The narrator had ten bottle tops, but had lost one and was looking for it.

Well, Ds1 normally takes no notice of the stories and will wander off. But this time he stood fascinated. He couldn't take his eyes off the narrator. Then the narrator put all the bottle tops on the chair. I was checking my change so wasn't really paying attention. The narrator went to get all the ten bottle tops to count them (she'd "found" the missing one), but there were only three. I looked round, suddenly realising the reason for Ds1's interest. He had the other seven milk tops clutched firmly in his hands and they were then taken to a chair by him and laid neatly out in a row :blink:

And this week whilst all the other toddlers were listening to the story of the Three Little Pigs he went and played with the handle of a suitcase, poked the wolf puppet in the eyes whilst it wasn't being used and went and played a very sombre tune on the piano. Although the wolf was huffing and puffing at that point so maybe he wanted to add dramatic tension :D

Edited by Bullet

We live with a mad proffessor/Mr. Bean Aspie .........who quotes from comedy sketches all the time.This morning he,s been completely hyper :D .............................I asked him what he,d eaten for breakfast this morning.........................he,s spins round arms flapping in his short pjama bottoms and big baggy t-shirt he sleeps in ........creeps up to me like Mr.bean then stares at me and goes into Little Britain mode...............(theres a scene in a scottish guest house in the dining room David Williams is a creepy waiter type with funny hair, tweed jacket and horrid teeth)............he quotes from the scene in full ........."I am hard yet soft, Iam clear yet see through, what am I ???........................jelly...............".........then he span round again and skipped off....................Confused?...........me too still don,t know what he had for breakfast, but he has me in stitches a lot of the time :lol: .

Suze :lol: I love it! William does the same. I will say to him 'what would you like for tea' and he gives me this sideways look ' If you ask me on a Monday... I'd say.... Yeeeeees'!!! :clap: It's hillarious. He also does a fab impression of that annoying Churchill dog... :thumbs:

As for Mr Bean, a couple of years ago he had an audience of about 20 kids and their parents in a park while doing Mr Bean impressions. Amazing from someone who often is unable to say hello to strangers!

This is the sort of thing I love about AS, and wouldn't want to change for the world.

Lauren

Is stripping naked in the library funny?

What about sitting on Tim Brook-Taylor's lap on a tractor train at that garden place in Cornwall with a 'full' nappy? He very politely changed his mind and said he would walk.

Well this might not seem funny but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ben and I were at a pre school session the school were running to get children ready to start in September. I had been telling the head how Ben was very intelligent and on the gifted scale. She gave me that look that say's "oh yer I've heard it all before". Clearly thinking I was another mother who thinks her child is brilliant.

Ben was making a model with cardboard boxes as they do, when the Head came over and asked him if his model had a name. Ben replied. "no, actually I haven't thought about that yet I was concentrating on making it symmetrical." He was only three. Have you ever seen a head teachers jaw drop in total astonishment? She looked at his model and said "it is too" I think she took me a bit more seriously after that. Maybe not funny but very satisfying :lol:

I was six, sitting in the bath, playing with toy ships. It was the Royal Navy versus the 'Brown Monster'.

Mum came in and saw the Brown Monster. She asked "What happened!?!" and I said "Adam(my fifteen year old brother) came in and did it!".

I think I got away with it.

Is stripping naked in the library funny?

What about sitting on Tim Brook-Taylor's lap on a tractor train at that garden place in Cornwall with a 'full' nappy? He very politely changed his mind and said he would walk.

Sorry, delia -

just to clarify, this is your littlun we're talking about here?? :wacko::wacko:

:lol:

The latest is...

dd... 'William where is the battery?'

W... ' What tree?'

dd...'The battery, where is it?

W... ' What's a bat tree? I've never heard one of those'

:blink:

Edited by Lauren

:lol: Been thinking. When my AS daughter was about 4, now 14, she had a new pair of shoes. (she has had new ones since) She was sitting on the floor trying to put them on without much success. I was cooking tea at the time and quickly turned round and said "you have to pull your tongue out first" I then realised what I had said and looked down at her, she was sitting with a puzzled look on her face holding on to her tongue.

We still laugh about it now. :lol:

I would love to hear stories about funny things that have happened in your lives related to aspergers and your kids please.

:shame: Please don't assume everyone here is a parent of someone with Asperger's. It's not very inclusive, and discourages people like me from contributing here. (You're not the only one that does it either.)

James

Please don't assume everyone here is a parent of someone with Asperger's. It's not very inclusive, and discourages people like me from contributing here. (You're not the only one that does it either.)

Good point. I tend to write 'our children' when I know I'm talking to someone with a child on the spectrum. It's not intended to exclude, but include the other parent.

Whilst we're on about minor gripes, there's a lot of use of the word Asperger's in posts too - I think the first post on this thread did it, but I'm not going back to check. My son couldn't be further from an Asperger diagnosis, and I find that slightly exclusive. I don't let it stop me if I think what I've got to say is relevant.

Baddad, my not so little'un stripped off in the library only two weeks ago. <sigh>

well ive stopped taking my daughter in public loo's with me since she starts asking at the top of her vioce whether im doing a number one or number two (polite version) :whistle:

i had a plumber here the other day putting in a new boiler, i had to leave him to it so i could take dd to school. she announced to him that he could help himself to what he wanted because hes a grown up!! :wacko:

Good point. I tend to write 'our children' when I know I'm talking to someone with a child on the spectrum. It's not intended to exclude, but include the other parent.

Whilst we're on about minor gripes, there's a lot of use of the word Asperger's in posts too - I think the first post on this thread did it, but I'm not going back to check. My son couldn't be further from an Asperger diagnosis, and I find that slightly exclusive. I don't let it stop me if I think what I've got to say is relevant.

Well I only said "Asperger's" in my post because punky had in her original post. I was initially going to say "... a parent of someone with an ASD", until I went back to check the quote. :)

James

Edited by Gordie

The most fun you can have with peas...

Tonight Ben opted out of our usual stir fry, so I did him chicken chips and peas instead.

He ate the chicken and chips and left the peas, so I tried to gee him up a bit.

Then he said :

Dad, could you eat thirty peas in a minute with a cocktail thingy?

Easy, I said, could you?

Dunno...

So i got the kitchen timer, and a cocktail stick and away he went...

pea seventeen got stuck in his throat and he started gagging.

I gave him a drink of apple juice but then he got the giggles and it came out of his nose

then the pea came out of his nose

finished with both of us reduced to tears with laughter...

Who'd have thought it. Seventeen peas... You can buy a huge bag for around a pound - MONTHS worth!!

duno,

maybe you had to be there!! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

Badders (and Mr Pea) ;)

BD, sounded like a good way to get my Ben to eat peas for a millisecond there. Then you gave me visions of a small child being rushed to intensive care with a pea lodged up his nose. Not a good way to spend ones Saturday evening. :huh::o

I find it difficult myself, as i am on the spectrum am dyslexic dispraxic, etc etc, to sit down and type out things using a lot of explanation, and trying to cover all areas so as not to upset anyone,is hard and i usually say what comes into my head.

I asked for amusing stories about children, so that could mean your child or it could mean you when you were a child,. for example when i was 5 i had a brick which i used to look after i was very attached to it and used to clean it and polish it and sleep with it. and I dont understand all the short grouped together words like NT i have no idea what they mean, but it doesnt matter. I dont mean to generalise either, and why i want these stories, they are funny and entertaining, I illustrate childrens books and i find the things that our children do and the things we did as children wether we be autistic or have aspergers or any other things in relation to these things to be quite interesting and inspiring. thankyou x i am a she

Edited by punky

Hi punky,

NT= neurotypical: a term used for people who do not have autistic spectrum disorder.

If you look in the top right hand corner and click on "jargon buster", you will find more of these expressions explained.

Kathryn

I find it difficult myself, as i am on the spectrum am dyslexic dispraxic, etc etc, to sit down and type out things using a lot of explanation, and trying to cover all areas so as not to upset anyone,is hard and i usually say what comes into my head.

I asked for amusing stories about children, so that could mean your child or it could mean you when you were a child,. for example when i was 5 i had a brick which i used to look after i was very attached to it and used to clean it and polish it and sleep with it. and I dont understand all the short grouped together words like NT i have no idea what they mean, but it doesnt matter. I dont mean to generalise either, and why i want these stories, they are funny and entertaining, I illustrate childrens books and i find the things that our children do and the things we did as children wether we be autistic or have aspergers or any other things in relation to these things to be quite interesting and inspiring. thankyou x i am a she

:oops: Sorry for getting your gender wrong, punky. *goes to correct the earlier post*

But thanks for the clarification. :) I hope you don't take my earlier criticism personally. :pray:

James