Brook

Anyone see this?

Guest hallyscomet
INCREASE IN TOTAS SYNDROME AMONGST JOURNALISTS:

Studies have shown that there is a rise in the number of journalists desperate to make a controversial name for themselves being diagnosed with TOTAS. TOTAS (which stands for Talking Out Their ar*e Syndrome) is a debilitating condition affecting several journalists every time they put pen to paper. Symptoms include an inability to think things through, a wish to make ill informed judgements based on little or no evidence and a desire to sell their papers regardless of the ethics of the article. One journalist (who wished to be unnamed) said: "I meant to write a thoughtful and well balanced piece on ADHD. But I made the mistake of gripping my pen between my ar*e cheeks. I couldn't control what I was doing and before I knew it I'd spouted off a load of vitriolic nonsense. The trouble with TOTAS is that it's contagious. So once my words were down on paper hundreds of people were also making illdefined and ridiculous comments on poor parenting, diet and 'all that's needed is a swift boot up the backside'".

Treatment for TOTAS is still in its infancy, yet it has been shown that a combination of drugs and therapy can work wonders. One of the drugs, Write-it-in is being cited as a possible benefit and journalists who've taken it reported an increase in their ability to sit down, concentrate and actually check the facts of something before typing.

Its not only in the papers, its also on the Radio, I had a head to head with this outspoken twit on Radio his name is Stan Zemanic, over here on Radio 2GB. He was so pissed with me as I quite candidly made him look like a total "drop kick" I pulled him off his pedestal without rolling around in the mud like a pig that he was. I stated the various stages of diagnosis, and countless treatments and therapys most parents put their children through. (This twit said there is no such thing as ADHD). After my call, he received many callers in support of what I was saying, as up until I jumped in, many were having their 2 bobs worth in support of his view - bunch of idiots.) He said everyone in the Radio Station has ADHD if you read through the self diagnosis list.

Could have punched his lights out. Anyway I made him look like a right ass.

Get those replies in ladies- otherwise there will be a lot of replies from those that agree with them, that know nothing about TRUE ADHD,never will.

Regards

Hailey

I sent a reply - it's not been posted - I think they are censoring the replies ... mine described the cost to family life and the sacrifices we have made as a result of J's diagnoses, which include ADHD

... like my giving up my job - the income of which was three times what I receive as carer's allowance

... the fact that my husband has twice decided not to apply for promotion due to the stresses of home life

...the way we have lost friends

... that we no longer have a social life.

I also commented that we were a two parent family - that must have been the clincher for not publishing it ... :(

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post this quick link about answering to critics if anyone's interested?

http://add.about.com/od/addprimer/a/critics.htm?nl=1

Best Wishes

Rach x (still seething about the Mail!) :whistle:

Hey Lauren,

me too, I sent 2 as I didn't think the first one went :lol:

Neither have been posted on there and I havn't had any reply either! The scum bags!

i have now posted two comments,one about my adhd son whom has no behaviuor issues and also about my husband whom is adhd and in his forties,neither have appeared and in the second i have commented that my first hadnt appeared and that they only want to show those with behaviour issues and those with lack of knowledge saying it does not exist,i explained what adhd actually was i.e. hyperactivity,lack of concertration,impulsive,sleep problem,cant remember things etc and that all adhd people do not have an behaviour problem.makes my blood boil when they have this sterotype of adhd.

Bullet - excellent post :clap: well written

ADHD ....... of course it's genuine, I've had cubs in my pack with it and they're hard work ....... and you can't say they never got enough exercise because I used to run very tiring games both at the beginning and the end.

I have every sympathy for all you parents who have to cope with this disability 24/7

When I was a girl one of my friends was un-dx ADHD - he was totally hyper and there was only one thing which calmed him down - Marijuana - worked a treat! :devil:

He is now 40 and is still as hyper as ever.

I am distubed to find this article stating that there are are a few ill formed people who do not understand adhd. I have a child with adhd and two "normal children". Is it bad parenting? Well that is what the professionals were trying to tell me, so I did the positive parenting course and spent years with a child psycologist knowing that I have two perfectly well behaved children. It was only when school were having problems with changes in routine and obsessions that it became clear it was not bad parenting. After two nervous breakdowns they referred my son to a child psychiatrist who spent hours talking to him and reading all the information from the school. The change in my son now he is on medication is unbelievable, and even the school rang us up when we did not give him his medication as we had run out. You see they could tell the difference with his concentration on his school work. Don't tar us all with the same brush, it took me four and a half years to find out what was wrong.

This is what I posted

I am distubed to find this article stating that there are are a few ill formed people who do not understand adhd. I have a child with adhd and two "normal children". Is it bad parenting? Well that is what the professionals were trying to tell me, so I did the positive parenting course and spent years with a child psycologist knowing that I have two perfectly well behaved children. It was only when school were having problems with changes in routine and obsessions that it became clear it was not bad parenting. After two nervous breakdowns they referred my son to a child psychiatrist who spent hours talking to him and reading all the information from the school. The change in my son now he is on medication is unbelievable, and even the school rang us up when we did not give him his medication as we had run out. You see they could tell the difference with his concentration on his school work. Don't tar us all with the same brush, it took me four and a half years to find out what was wrong.

This is what I posted

Had another look now,and yours has been posted and it hasn't been edited,need more posts like that.

I would like to know how they are choosing posts,because they are making it seem very anti ADHD,excluding the minority of comments from people from here,and elsewhere who actually have experience with ADHD.

They did not post mine like Rachelp2 and Laurens' ,they are quick enough to accept comments from people saying all we need is a kick up the backside and our struggles do not exist,but not quick enough to give a more balanced view,with those of us who have it and/or know it is real.

Bullet, you really ought to submit that - they definitely won't publish it, but it might make them think. :lol:

The thing that made me most sad is that one of the letters is from the parent of an autistic child saying that she doesn't think adhd exists. She's said something like "if you have autism as a child, you have autism as an adult" (true) but then goes on to say "how many adults do you hear claiming to have adhd?"

Well, actually, if you read all the responses there seem to be quite a few! Plus, maybe it's because it's only just been recognised? After all, how many undiagnosed autistic adults are there out there because they were born before it was recognised?

I do not know anything about adhd. I don't know anybody with adhd. Therefore I am not qualified to comment on it & wouldn't dream of doing so, any more than I would expect someone with no knowledge of autism to comment about it's reality or how it affects my son.

Sadly, other people seem to think the ability to type a letter to a newspaper gives them the right to pass comment, even if they know sod all.

Just sent this to them ...

I've already commented on this issue, as have several others I know, describing very real issues surrounding the care of children with this diagnosis - yet our comments have not been published.

I wonder what criteria you use to publish comments? as the comments on this website appear to be quite anti-ADHD and, mainly, from those who have no actual experience of coping with a child with this diagnosis. It appears that opinion rules rather than experience.

What about a more balanced view? to include those with more knowledge and/or experience?

I suspect that you will not post this comment either :-(

ive written a reply and just told them to walk a mile in my shoes, or indeed my daughters, but until then dont judge me or my child! its terrible, i hate people like this its so unfair!!!!! i would rather have nothing in the world if i was given a cure for my daughter, but til then i have to do what i have to do!