lyns

Stimming

Hi

Sorry I havent been around for a long time so I will give my self a quick re-introduction. I'm Lynsay and I have 2 children my eldest who is nearly 6 has Autism his main difficulties are that he is non verbal, behaviour problems, self harms the list goes on but I hasten to add the behaviour and self harm is on particularly bad days the rest of the time he is my little angel!!!

At the moment he is stimming quite a lot on generally everything and with this he is shouting screeching and making really weird loud noises. Now if he did this occasionaly it wouldnt be so bad but at the moment he seems like he is doing it all day long and I cant bear it any more I have a constant headache :crying: . Any ideas of how to cut this back a bit. He does it when we are out too and we get the filthiest looks from people. Just wondering is this a common problem or am I alone in this type of behaviour :unsure:

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated

Lyns

Hello Lyn, and welcome back >:D<<'>

I don't have any experience of this; my youngest son did this when he was none verbal (he used to scream alot) but he has been verbal since he was 4; I also cut out artificial sweetners from his diet and since then he's stopped.

I'm sure someone will come along with excellent advice.

All I can offer is tea and sympathy >:D<<'>

Lauren

Hi Lyns,

My son is seven ASD, he is very verbal, but his understanding of receptive language is delayed.

He is VERY loud and will let out a sudden shout or scream that really goes through you, he does it at

home and out and about, there doesn't seem to be any build up to it so you cant see it coming and calm

him before hand, I think it's something that suddenly comes into his head and this is his reaction.

And he too does this all day long, so I can really relate to how draining it gets, you can feel your

chest tighten, whilst he is having a shout or scream it's hard to get through to him, I generally try to snap

him out of it by standing in front of him to get his attention, but I dont try to get him to look at me.

Sorry no advice, but to let you know that I think this is quite common and you are not alone.

Brook >:D<<'>

my child does this when he is stressed. Using music helps him to calm down or letting him get under and into a quilt cover also calms him down. Sometimes he even likes a heavy weight on top of him and the quilt cover which also helps him to calm down.

Jen

Hi, My son Hayden who's nearly 5 does this constantly, whooooo noises and screeching, some days are worse than others and at the mo he is worse than usual, i tend to try and block it out but i'm kinda used to iT :rolleyes: but with my son i think he just enjoys doing it, stimulation for him, it is quite annoying when your tying to watch tv :rolleyes:

Clare