Sign in to follow this  
helenmorbey

Advice please

Found out yesterday from a paediatrician that my youngest is on the spectrum. She was previously diagnosed with sensory integration dysfunction, she seems to be mildly affected. She is currently almost 4 and a half and at nursery, she copes quite well now and most of her "behavior" is at home, she will come home and want to be alone with a video or playstation. How can i help her? Helen

Hi Helen,

A very big welcome to the forum. :)>:D<<'>

I expect if you just found out yesterday that your daughter is on the spectrum, you have loads of questions at the moment, and whether or not you were expecting it, the news can still take time to sink in.

A big priority will be to discuss the pediatrician's assessment with the nursery, so that they help make your daughter's transition to school as smooth as possible - she may need support then to help her adjust to the change.

Take your time, look around the forum and there are always people here who can answer any particular questions you have.

Kathryn.

Hello and welcome Helen.

I am sure if you read through some of the posts you'll find your daughters reaction to nursery is normal experience here! Our kids often spend their time at school (or nursery in your daughters case) by appearing to 'cope'. When they get home it is a place of safety, they can let go of any pretence and be themselves and it is quite normal for this to manifest itself in 'behaviour'.

As Kathryn says your head will no doubt be full of questions right now. If you can't find the answers just ask us - no matter how daft the question may seem if you can't find the answer you're looking for one of us will be able to help.

Hi welcome to the forum.

I think the best way you can help is to just try and keep as much in routine as possible. .... and if you feel she is misbehaving try and think what might be causing her to behave that way.

>:D<<'>

Hi Helen welcome, I guess the stresses of nursery tire your daughter and she needs to escape with her games.My son used to go for hours and play with his tractors(his obsession) after school.It may be her way of chilling out and relaxing.

Hello Helen and wecome >:D<<'> ,

My daughter is nearly 4 and attends a 'special needs' base of a mainstream nursery. After 'coping' there ( and sometimes not ) she is exhausted and not in the mood for a chat !

Hope you find some useful things her and everyone is happy to answer questions.

Hello Helen, and welcome. I am an adult with Asperger's. After a day at work, with people, I like to spend some time on my own. I think that you should let your daughter spend time on her own after school. She probably needs to relax and unwind.

Hi Helen and welcome :)>:D<<'>

I expect that you're still a bit in shock ... :huh:

Take some time for yourself to come to terms with things and then have a browse through some of the threads on here - there's a lot of wisdom tucked away in them ... :)

Routine and visual timetables help us a lot, although all are children are very different, so what works for one may not work for another and vice versa.

I also found EarlyBird (NAS) very useful to help me to understand more about autism and ideas for helping my son.

Eve

People and children with ASD find schooling etc more tiring than normal people. My son always missed the last day or two of school because he gets tired at the end of the term.

Keep an open mind and try things if something works keep it if it does not throw it out. One year something will work very effectively than the next it will not.

Keep a list of what works, all the assessments and how your child difficulties affect her at home and at school.

Its like learning a new language first you are confused than you think you understand something then the goal post moves and you do not understand anything.

The forum is always here to help.

Jen

Hi Helen,

Tough time after the dx, go easy on yourself, she's still the same little girl remember.

Welcome to the forum. These guys are sooooo good - you'll never leave us!

Take your time and look around :D

Daisy