Tez

A child's school records

Had a call from A's school yesterday to say that they've copied all his records and they are available for me to go and collect. No mention of any charge, I only asked to view them. However, they did say that they've "lost" all of his Junior school records and by implication all his Infant school records. I particularly wanted to see these, since I feel the need to know how much these schools knew about his difficulties, particularly the Infant school who bullied me into believing I was an overprotective mother.

Is it likely that these records could have been copied and held elsewhere? Has anyone else had this problem of lost records?

Tez,

Try asking the LEA if they have the contents of A's school file. I had the complete LEA file contents copied and the school files were there.

I don't think they will be there as a matter of course for every child, but I think if there has been a bit of aggro such as Tribunal - then they get the school file for evidence.

Hope this helps

HelenL

Tez. I have also asked to see the lea version of my child's sen records. There were some very suprising things in there that I had never been copied on :angry: How very convenient of the school to loose some of these records. Surely any letters done on the computer can be duplicated by them. It is only the handwriten notes that will be the problem. If any outside agencies have been involved they will have their own files which might help. I wonder if the LEA would be interested that the school have lost this information. Perhaps one of the many advisors they employ could offer school advice on their filing system :devil: It is very unusual for a school just to copy what they've got, and hand it over. You don't think there is any chance that they just don't want you to see what they have do you :whistle:

Thanks Everyone,

I went and picked the files up yesterday. They are more interesting for what they don't contain than what they do.

It is very unusual for a school just to copy what they've got, and hand it over. You don't think there is any chance that they just don't want you to see what they have do you

LKS I think you are absolutely right. I was handed 3 very large files covering years 8-10. Year 7 and all the Junior and Infant school files are missing. In total there were about 500 pages all photocopied. No charge was made, but most of these papers were of emails I had sent to the school or documentation regarding the statutory assessment. What was missing was all school reports, all documentation (including mine) on numerous bullying events, some very serious with police involvement, including letters of apology that the Headmaster had sent to me, memos by members of staff that were listed on the SEN documentation sheet and all documentation regarding his being placed on the gifted list (although, I do still have the documentation that the school originally sent me.)

However, there were some interesting documents that I hadn't seen. Some letters from the Neurologist and his Consultant from CAHMS asking the school to provide a laptop which I had been told had been sent but which the school denied receiving. Further letters from them regarding his diagnosis and expressing concern for my son's safety in the school environment and later letters clearly pointing out his self harming activities in school and asking them to be more vigilant.

It was also interesting to note the clear support and help he was receiving from the Deputy Head and the lack of help he was getting from his learning Mentor who did not seem to understand that he had a problem and felt that A had no need of him.

Try asking the LEA if they have the contents of A's school file. I had the complete LEA file contents copied and the school files were there.

Helen, I'm going to do this. I know that the LEA have been asking lots of questions about A's early school life so this could well be where the files have disappeared to.