CarerQuie

Statement as 'comfort blanket'.

my friend,a parent of a child with autism,is on a Return to teaching course.

At the most recent session,a big cheese from the LEA SEN department came and spoke to the returning teachers.In a disparaging voice,he said that there are some parents who want statements as 'comfort blankets'.

I THINK he just about got out in one piece.What do you think?xx

Hi CarerQuie.

In an ideal world, our children would have all their needs met without a statement........but unfortunately, we don't lve in an ideal world.

A statement is a legal document. A comfort blanket - no. A way of ensuring a child's needs are met - yes.

Annie

x

By comfort blanket I assume he meant 'safety net'?

A safety net that's full of holes, badly maintained and often built on shoddy foundations out of punk materials for sure - but a damn sight better than nowt! HIS attitude, as an LEA 'official' is a perfect example of WHY those nets are needed in the first place - ignorance, stupidity and downright ######-mindedness from the people who are supposedly retained to safeguard our children's interests....

L&P

BD :angry:

Hi to all. :)

Certainly H is in need of a "confort blanket" this just because his needs are ignored. :angry::wallbash:

When is the LEA machine will understand that they suppose to answer to the needs of every child individualy??

Malika.

This is why my friends and I turn up to the opening of a local authority envelope: to dispell the myth that we are all over-anxious parents. Actually we have joined just about every committee we can get on to :dance:

Lots of us are school governors, from there you can get elected onto the Education scrutiny panel. Then there's a parents and carers forum (run by SS) where you can invite various bods to come and listen, and the NHS user group where your responses get used to prioritise services (supposedly). Parents can also respond as individuals to consultation documents. Most local authorities have an educational website which parents can access and consultations will be on there. And in your local paper - the NHS takes out adverts for consultation. After a while you get invited to do things. Frankly a lot of it is quite dull, but we are a large network and so no one person does it all.