stresshead

thyroid linked to ADD/ADHD??

Hi first I would like to say a big "HELLO!" to you all, and compliment this site!

My 6 year old son has recently been diagnosed with AS and I have found this site very uplifting and enlightening, so well done!

Anyway my posting is regarding more to do with my daughter 16, who has just been told that she has a underactive thyroid (shock!!) and been put on thyroxine tablets.

I have heard in the past that a thyroid condition can be linked to mental health issues, and my nan (who sadly died a few years ago) had an under active thyroid was also diagnosed with paranoid schitzophrenia which has put some truth into what I have heard.

I have always thought that my daughter has had some form of ADD/ADHD but 10 years ago when I approached her teacher she dispelled this idea by saying "oh she's not like that in school" "she's just letting off steam at home, due to having to conform all day at school" 10 years ago it seems not much was known about the condition, and I just got on bringing her up the to best of my ability.

When having searches on the net re. my 6 yr olds AS, I have come across various sites regarding ADD/ADHD and had a little nose around, I am now aware that there are 3 types of ADD/ADHD, my daughter fits perfectly within the inattentive part of it which, apparently frequently goes undiagnosed in girls. Other problems that she has are morbid thoughts, often to the point where they make her cry, and panic attacks and some sort of air hunger, where she has to gulp air (anxiety)

What I am wondering, is if anyone else has encountered this and/or your opinions on it. I have found a website which shows some of these studies

http://diet-studies.com/thyroid.html

you may have to copy and paste as I don't know if it is linkable.

I would much appreciate your thoughts and opinions and any advice on what to do, feel a bit like I have let her down by being so absorbed with 6 yr old

Thanks A

I also have an underactive thyroid. It does interfere with your brain processes and if left untreated sends you mad- so this might explain some of what you are experiencing.

Have you ever looked into whether your daughter has an ASD- does she have any traits? I had a miserable time in my teens and was diagnosed with depression. I had suicidal thoughts too, but now i know about AS, it has made a lot of sense. I also think this is often missed in girls because they generally are more aware of social cues than boys and can mask it quite well, although they feel alienated inside.

At least you are recognising it now. Why not tell your daughter that you regret not being more supportive in the past and you'd like to be there for her. Make a bit of girly time to do things she'd like to do away from your son and allow her to talk through her feelings and let her know that she isn't the only one who feels like that. It will get better.

Thank you for your reply Shona, I have had a sit down with my daughter and chatted about this and she wants all of her "why am I like this, why do I do this, why don't I think like that" questions answered. She wants to be refered to my sons paed. I think she felt a little relieved that there could be a possible answer.

I also had a word with ASD link nurse about a possible link and she has heard that there could be, but doesn't know much about it, as it is her colleagues who deal with ADD/ADHD she only deals with Aspergers.

I will be making an appointment with my daughters GP for a referral, and see how she gets on.

Also planned to do lunch and go shopping, just her and me! Makes a change to her agreeing to do that with me rather than with her friends!

Hi stresshead

I believe there is a problem with how the thyroid hormones are working at the tissue level in some children with ADHD. To get up to date perhaps you could look on "Medline" and put in your keywords like thyroid or hypothyroidism and ADHD to get the most up to date picture?

Perhaps you could feed back to us what you find? I'm well out of date on this now, sorry.

Best of luck

VS xx

I have Hypothyriodism and someone once mentioned that there could be a link with mums thyriod conditions and having children with asd's.

Clare

I have also seen items regarding, this

A

wow surprised a bit here - im dx with underactive thyroid too

I get what u say about ADHD cos my son has it also, but without hyperactivity, twice during primary school teachers pointed out ' that he couldnt possibly have ADHD because wasnt bouncing off walls'

Lol hes horrified eno at the snippet of info that ADD is predominant in females and hes rare in a male.......

on the thyroid issue, its the most awful feeling b4 diagnosis, I honestly wondered if i was going loopy - once on thyroxine i was told ' all cured' but i do say it isnt the case, its a lot better granted, but i still have times of bone tiredness and sometimes struggle to string a sentance together, but generally you do learn to read ur energy levels and adapt.

I did read some american info about how they treat underactive thyroid and there was some reserch to say that depression often tagged along with dx, in america they give a secondary drug to counteract . Sorry to sound vuage....

i know i did reserch stuff a few years ago when i was first diagnosed but as i was also suffering depression LOL sorta lost interest?!

as far a s things go for your daughter, its a difficult age isnt it, it could still be a mix of puberty rather than diagnosis of hypothyroidism? Hope shes feeling much better since starting on thyroxine

xx pep

hi Pepper,

do you understand the thyroxine levels? DR said my daughters was 5.5 and most people are between 4-4.5, I thought this was confusing, to me that seems like to much thyroxine, over the normal level??? But he def. said underactive, and she is sleeping excessivelly.

thanks A

I have a multi nodular goitre which has so far displaced my windpipe.

Carole

Hi stresshead and welcome. >:D<<'>

I have hypothyroidism and taking 100 micrograms thyroxine a day, my daughter has hyperthyroidism (Grave disease) now more or less under controle with "cabemazole" and my Gran died nearly 50 years ago following badly treated hyperthyroidism.

Time ago I had put this link if you read the part about Environmental factors you will find that hypothyroidism in the mother is mention as a possible cause of autism in a child.

http://www.alspac.bris.ac.uk/topics/mrc_proposal.shtml

Take care. :)

Malika.

I have an underactive thyroid too but hadnt heard of the link to brain disease. who whould have thought such a little thing could cause so much trouble?. good luck with the research.

For masses of info on thyroid conditions, including explanations of the different thyroid hormones, what they are and what they do, and, in particular, when to treat, check out the "Mary Shomon" website. It is just fantastic.

In particular, note the role and "normal" values of "TSH" (which is what docs normally measure) and note the arguments for treating at a TSH above 3 (rather than say above 5 in the UK). I argued for treatment with a TSH at 4.7 using the downloads from this website... and got it.

VS xx

hi Pepper,

do you understand the thyroxine levels? DR said my daughters was 5.5 and most people are between 4-4.5, I thought this was confusing, to me that seems like to much thyroxine, over the normal level??? But he def. said underactive, and she is sleeping excessivelly.

thanks A

5.5 means there's too much Hormone in the blood - meaning the Thyroid gland isn't working properly- Hence Underactive Thyroid :D

Clare

I have an underactive thyroid which was dx in the later stages of pregnancy with ds. We have quite a history of it in our family which was why I asked to be tested while they were taking blood for something else.

Carrie