nicki41971

hi i'm new

Hi i'm new on here and thought i'd teel you a bit about myself. I'm 34 (35 on mon) I'm mum to 4 children, d16,s13,d6,s21/2. My youngest son has just been diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum & basically that is as far as i have got with him at the mo. I am in the dark about it & have no idea what happens next. i am trying to find out info but have so far not learnt very much & other than what my son does or doesn't do i'm afraid i do not know an awful lot. I was recommended this site & thought i would give it a go. I hope i got it right as excuse my ignorence but i'm not great at computers, >:D<<'>

Welcome to the forum. I have no doubt that you will have loads of questions you want answers to. Please feel free to ask us anything, we have all been where you are at one stage.

Hello and a big warm welcome.

Sites like this are a Godsend and I'm so glad you've found us so quickly.

Ask away - there's ALWAYS someone on here that's been there, done that, designed and sold the t shirt :D

Hi Nicki

Welcome to the forum :groupwave:

There's loads of warm and friendly advice on here. Your lucky to have your little one dx'd so early (that is 2 and a half isn't it?) - at least it will give you time to adjust to him.

Have fun reading the posts, it'll really open your eyes and you'll be addicted for ever :D

Edited by DaisyProudfoot

hi nicki,

welcome to the forum :D

my son was about the same age when i got the dx too(he'll be 3 in june), as with you i was left in the dark and had to find out just what it meant for myself, it's a tricky time with a whole range of emotions running through your head but you've come to the best place for support, the people on here are so understanding!

if you do a google search, you can access so much info about asd's and your local library should be able to suply some good books on the subject too.

it can all seem a bit daunting at first but give yourself a couple of months and garanteed you'll know a damn sight more that the experts!!

the only other advice i can give is trust your instincts( even when all the "pro's" tell you otherwise!) and keep in contact

all the best,

kinky j

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hello and welcome :D , although it may not feel like it , it is good to get a dx at such a young age.Once you start to think about pre-school hopefully measures will be in place to help your son.What sort of follow up appointments have you got, will you see speech and lang, or a play therapist , portage,etc.This site is brill and there are some very knowledgeable people here, :D Suzex.My son is 10 and was,nt dx till he was 7.

>:D<<'> Hi Nicki

Welcome >:D<<'> I think of this forum as my family, I know there will be someone here day or night if i need anything, whether it be to let of steam or just have a natter, they are great.... So welcome to the family.

Shaz

:gather:

Hi Nicki,

Welcome to the forum. :)

You'll find loads of info on here, so take your time browsing and feel free to ask questions, there is usually someone who can answer!

Click here for some basic information on autistic spectrum disorders: it doesn't tell you everything, but it's a useful starting point, and will give you some idea of the support your child should get, now and in the future.

Kathryn.

Hi Nicki,

Welcome to the forum :) .

As everybody else has said, if you have any questions, just ask. There's a lot to take in when you first get a diagnosis. We're all here whenever you need us.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hi nicki -

welcome aboard...

It's a strange time around dx - so many questions answered, so many new ones arising as a consequence, and all sorts of mixed emotions to contend with too...

Take your time getting aclimatised, and make the most of whatever personal space you can make whenever you can make it: it's a precious commodity!

An early DX like this is a blessing in itself, offering so many opportunities to smooth the way ahead...

L&P

BD :D

Hi Nicki

Welcome to the forum.

It's very early days for you and will take you a while to get used to the dx. You have certainly come to the right place and will always find answers to your questions no matter how diverse they are :D

Take your time to come to terms with the dx. It takes a while for it to sink in and then some time to fully understand it.

Lauren

Hi Nikki and welcome to the forum >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

You couldn't have found a better place for help and advice, and just a generall chit chat. This forum is a godsend.

be warned though it becomes very addictive!

Take care and look forward to speaking to you on the forum.

tmf

xx