elainem

High Incidence

can anyone tell me please what does it mean. And would Autistic Spectrum Disorder (not Aspergers) be declared as high incidence.

Thanks anyone who can help.

Elaine

In our LEA (Hillingdon) they do say in their STUPID criteria that ASD is high incidence, but my argument is that many of the needs within asd are complex and actually come under the low incidence, this will be a big part of our argument at tribunal this week.

In our County, Autism comes under low incidence (though that is not a definite), AS comes under EBD which is high incidence (unless they are very autistic, then they may come under low incidence - not my words BTW!)

Karen

High and low incidence shouldnt be used if it means that there is no true individual assessment merely a blanket policy. See IPSEA website and do talk to them as they are interested in this issue. Ian Coates wrote to leas reminding them that balnket policies are illegal.

Hi,

Ian Coates is Head of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Division at the DfES. You can access his letter to all LEAs on the Ipsea web site here

PSA,

As madmes says, using assessment criteria amounts to a blanket policy which is illegal. The only lawful criteria for assessment is whther the school can provide the support your child needs.

The very best of luck for tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you,

K x