KarenT

Jumping on the bed

I know this must sound trivial in the wider scheme of things, but lately J has taken to jumping on his bed all... the... flippin'... time... and it's driving me crackers. It's a testament to the quality of Argos' product range (or perhaps the industrial strength bolts dh used to fasten it together last time it fell apart) that the bed's not on a skip as we speak, the amount of time he spends bouncing on it. He says 'it helps his imagination' but I don't know if that's true. It certainly seems to be that he has some need to bounce and I can't get him to stop. The noise is doing my head in, both with the bouncing and the incessant talking to himself that accompanies it. Any suggestions? Or do you reckon I should just let him get on with it?

Karen

x

Hi Karen,

I must admit to having a little giggle when I read your post, because you couldv'e been talking about my

son. :lol:

He is always bouncing about on MY bed, I'm sure it will collapse one day.

I think you'll find it's very common for our kids to like trampolining, my son loves it!

He seems to go off into a bit of a trance, I think it's sensory.

Lots of people have got their kids trampolines for the garden.

When I take my son to the kids indoor playcentre, he spends the first half hour jumping on

the trampoline, he comes off completly soaked.

I'm just waiting for the day that our bed comes crashing through the ceiling with my son still

jumping on it. :D

Brook

Edited by Brook

How about getting him a little trampoline one that women use for exercise.He can jump about on that then.

Noise will still drive you nuts but it might save the bed.

My son's paed recommended we get a mini trampoline, as this kind of thing is a form of stimming. It is called something along the lines of deep muscle relaxation, and they can get the same effect by making a child sandwich (kid lies on the bottom with an exercise mat on top, and another kid lies on the top), and even though when he first started asking for this is scared the life out of me, it is what his body needs to relax. The other thing we managed to do is get the school to buy a mini trampoline, and he gets to use it in between doing something that he has to concentrate really hard on (ie 10 bounces and then he does the next task).

You can get them for around ?20 - cheaper than the price of a new bed!

Lol....my son is exactely the same....argggggg. Doesn't it drive you potty.

Anyway was gonna suggest what everyone else has suggested and thats a little trampoline. Rather than telling him he mustn't jump on the bed, you could tell him that if he wants to jump then he must go to the trampoline....something like that anyway!

Best thing we ever bought was the trampoline for the garden!

Kane goes out all times of the day and sometimes night - before this he constantly bounced on the bed.

I reckon that as soon as you get your dx you should be given a voucher for this VITAL piece of equipment!!

Think we should lobby parliament!!

We bought a trampoline at the weekend. The Boy absolutely LOVES it.

Trouble is he won't bounce on his own - mummy has to bounce with him.

The plus side of this is that I have lost 2lb in three days without cutting down on food at all.

The downside of this is that my knees are killing me - not in a "I've done some exercise and have a muscle ache" kind of way but in a "OMG I am old enough to have arthritis and this is killing me" kind of way

Think I need to change my technique - I'm obviously locking my knees too tight and jarring them. :lol:

Oh - another major plus - instead of getting home and pootling round the house, he goes into the back garden and bounces for an hour or so. End result - he's tired and has been going to bed between 8 and 8:30 WAHEY :dance:

We used to have a mini-trampoline in the garden till the ropes snapped with overuse last year (sigh). I mentioned to him about getting a replacement but he insists he MUST have something to bounce on in the house as it 'helps him think' but we just don't have the room. It's only a small house with no spare rooms, and a trampoline's not something you can just tuck into a cupboard when you're not using it. He also wants to go straight from it to his toys so presumably he's thinking up Robot Wars battles as well while he's jumping, and knowing his attention span no doubt his ideas would drop out of his head by the time he's got back indoors again...

I think I'll still consider getting a replacement for outside - you never know, he might use it with the summer coming. No way I'm using it though, Jill, not with my pelvic floor!

Karen

x

Adam is always bouncing on the bet and has broken loads. He gave himself a black eye on his old metal one so we got him a divan. That didn't last long so we got him a pine one now he's eaten that one so not shore what to do

William used to do this all the time. He broke a bed, I replaced it with something really cheap and he broke that in a week. After that we decided to decorate his room and buy new furniture. The day I was going to ikea to buy the stuff he was up in Luke's room and guess what? Yes he broke Luke's bed too! :o So I had to buy two beds in one day. I really told him off; then when his room was finished I heard him bouncing again and ran upstairs and to not put too fine a point on it, put the fear of god him in :devil: He's never done it since :lol:

Lauren