Sign in to follow this  
justamom

Honesty!!!

Today in science lesson K saw 2 boys hugging and he called the one boy g*y, which started a argument. Taking things in the literal sense he said what was on his mind, he should not have called this boy a name and he admitted that he started this fight by calling him g*y. This boy got really physical with K and shoved him over the desk, he then picked up a GLASS jug thing that they use on the bunsen burners and threw it at K which smashed at his feet, took his goggles off and threw them too which hit him in the face!!! He then stormed out the class and K was left shocked. He never retaliated he was to shocked... He is quite placid at school but one day he is gonna blowif pushed.

NO LSA in the class today - no idea why - when questioned by the teacher K owned up to the fact that he was in the wrong and started the argument. He was threatened with a black mark on his permanent record and dention K was sent out of the class. K was then made to clear up the glass while the other boy was let totally off the hook. Why should he pick up the glass (which is a health and safety issue in itself) what repocussions where there for this other lad who threw it at K, he should have been made to pick it up he threw the blasted jug.

Not one mentioned in the home school diary. K upset by this all - just got him to stop stammering at he is really battling to get a word out tonight. I phoned the school - SENCO busy will ring you later..

What would you do - I don't think i am over reacting - he could have been seriously hurt...

A friend of mine is a Criminal Barrister, he once said to me he was pleased he wasn't having to work with me on a case because I was "pathologically honest", I quite like the fact I tell it as it is, what you see is what you get, that's me. Not everyone feels happy with this, but that is their problem, not mine.

I think it was a compliment, but he probably thought it was constructive criticism - a lesson in spin.

Hi Justamom.

I know your son started the arguement with his comment, but it definitely doesn't justify the reaction of the other boy involved! I would definitely complain to the school about it. There's a big difference between name calling and physical violence and the latter should be treated much more seriously.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Lynne

hiya justamom,

had to post a reply as i'm totally outraged by how the school reacted to this!!! NO!!! i don't think you're over-reacting at all. how the hell can they possibly consider name-calling to be a worse misdomenor than violence??? especially when your son was completely honest and admitted where he'd been at fault??

how are they supposed to encourage any child to be honest if all it leads to is a harsher punishment, let alone a child who has an asd???? surely they must realise that all they've taught him is that it's ok to hurt people but not ok to tell the truth!!

and as for making him clear up broken glass, that's got to be a breach of some kind of law?? what if he'd injured himself, would their insurance have covered the compensation costs they would have incured if he'd been scarred?? that's a permanant disfigurement so i'm sure they'd have some kind of policy in place to insure such accidents don't occur as that would be a serious drain on school funds!!

pull them up on this, they definately shouldn't get away with it!!

(sorry, i'll get off my soap box now)

hope k feels better soon >:D<<'>

kinky j

Thanks for your replies, at 8.15 today i am gonna be on that phone telling them just what i think... I have stewed over it all night and have woken up more cross than when i started...

Will let you know.

Justamom

Spoke to SENCO who very unresponsive to the fact that my son was in trouble for owning up to calling someone a name, so its ok to throw a glass jug at someone unpunshied but name calling is worse... :wallbash:

K came home from school in a mood because his class tutor heard about this incident and told him off again... Why??? The tutor said to him "how would you like it if your support was taken away from you??? Like whats that got to do with the price of eggs??? Is he threatening K??? This is because there was no LSA in the class and they are saying that this is why the boy went for K because the teacher was out of her depth with no help....

I have left another message with the SENCO coz i am revved up now.

Justamom

Senco sound ,s useless.......as does the school........shows you how different schools are, my son gets called spastic, g*y , w*anker............every day and the school does nothing...........guess it,s just part of the playground banter every child has to put up with :huh: .In my opinion they,ve dealt with this incident very heavy handed, ..........o.k. they should have made him say sorry to this lad for calling him g*y...........but this lad should have been severely reprimanded for his violent behaviour.........have you thought of writing .....and maybe complaining to the head?

I've had a good talk to K and he said to me that he knows that calling this boy g*y was very wrong and he says he will not wind him up again but said that he does not think being honest has helped him because he did get in trouble and the other boy lied and he got away with it.... How do you explain that one. I said just always be honest because your punishment will not be as bad because this boy will be found out and he will get in big trouble for lying.

I might have to write a letter to the school, to air my views. Its holidays tomorrow but i might just type one out now and send it in tomorrow.

justamom

I always had this trouble with my son.I'd stand there and watch other kids lie through their teeth and if I tried to explain that K does not/can't lie ,then I got the funny looks from the teachers and nods to each other.....you know the ones I mean.