Tylers-mum

Changing his mind when it's too late.

T had his bedroom in a Buzz Lightyear/Space theme for 2yrs. He didn't wanna sleep in there for the last few months of that so slept in with me. We BOTH decided to paint his room in a Power Rangers theme as that's what he is into at present. Painted it in Jan (I think) and he's got PR bedding, curtains, lightshade etc and new furniture (he wrecked the last lot).

In his last room, I paid for these people to come paint murals on the wall and they were fantastic and I explained to T that once I paint over them, they are gone forever, he cannot have them back. He was fine with that b/c he wanted a new Power Rangers bedroom. All is complete other than the PR murels that I am having the same people paint whom did his last theme but I haven't got the money to do it yet so it's on hold.

Lastnight he was sent to bed as usual and he come back down (as usual) and was really upset b/c his Buzz Lightyear was gone and he now wants it back. It's nearly 3 mths later! :blink: Why now???

He cried and cried and cried for about an hour and a half and nothing I could say or do helped. He wants his Buzz back. I told him he can't b/c it's gone and now it's all 'my fault'! :wallbash: Offered him the option of me printing a picture out (I took photo's before painting over it) of it and framing it to hang on the wall - That is no good! :(

What am I supposed to do??

He come to me 10mins ago asking for Buzz again. I know he's gonna have the ab dabs again very very soon. :tearful:

Edited by Tylers-mum

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I often say my son is comeing in via satalite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And theres a time delay in his reactions to stuff could be 10 minutes could be months.

Theres nothing you can do i guess.But i have been there and its a nightmare.As the realisation of what theyve agreed to sets in.

Good luck for tonight i hope the meltdown doesnt come if it does i hope its short lived.

Hi TM

Why do kids do this!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

My son wanted Buzz, so we gave him a Buzz bedroom for his b'day......10 mths l8r wanted spiderman, we said no. Compromised and bought just the duvet cover. Boy am i glad we didn't, his spiderman stage lasted all but a month!! Anyway he now loves Harry Potter, but he's not asked for his bedroom this time!...YET!

And guess what.......he is now back into bleedin Buzz Lightyear!!!!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I often say my son is comeing in via satalite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And theres a time delay in his reactions to stuff could be 10 minutes could be months.

Paula, you have a wonderful way with words :D What a fab description!

TM, it's the law of sod, as they say. Your son sounds like mine, and a copy of Andy from Little Britain :lol: 'I want that one'.....'Don't like it' :lol:

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

J's the same, TM. His bedroom preferences change according to his obsessions at the time. Last year he was bored daft with his fab Robot Wars themed room and just before Christmas at the height of his Harry Potter obsession he wanted it changed. We told him we couldn't just redecorate his room in an instant like that and he made up for it by cutting up the pictures from last year's HP calendar and sticking them all over the walls.

Then Santa brought him some new RW stuff for Christmas and that triggered off the robot obsession again. Now he's convinced he has the best bedroom in the world and never wants it to change. Fine by me, it's not getting done for another couple of years at least!!

Karen

x

PS: A tip for decorating - we half-panelled J's bedroom walls so it means half a job when it comes to repapering, you could do it in a day. The panelling is varnished wood so it hasn't needed redoing yet and will last for quite a while longer. It also means there's loads of space in the lower half to stick things to the wall without tearing the paper.

Most people on the spectrum can't visualise something until it happens, for example they can't see that if they flush that toilet roll down the toilet it will block it until it is too late, so the same goes for his room, until you removed it, he wouldn't have been able to guess what it would be like, hence the changing his mind.

With my sons I have refused to decorate the walls specifically to one design, he just has plain walls and can put whatever he wants on them, then has the duvet sets etc he wants.

If you've still got a buzz duvet cover could you hang that on the wall - sounds a bit bizarre :o - but the story of our lives really .... :lol:

Hi >:D<<'>

I think Mother-eve is right may be a duvet set on the wall or a big poster would work until he changes his mind again :bat: .... good luck with it.

Malika.

He never had a buzz duvet cover. There was enough on the walls without adding that too! LOL. so he just had a plain duvet set b/c it would have been too much.

Touch wood, he an't mentioned anything bout it lately and I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!! LOL

:o Oh lord, how are we supposed to cope in these situations. My daughter is always asking ppl back to the house to play or inviting ppl to her birthday parties, then as ive handed over the invitations or arranged it with parents she says no, I dont want them to come.

Its soooo embarrassing haveing to tell them she has changed her mind again, Im going to wait till shes am little older and them make her tell them herself. :(

good luck with the room sounds like yore going to need it!