Sarah666

Re : Letter from CAMHS, Anyone have any advice please?

Hi All

Im fairly new here, have posted a few times, but mainly I listen to all the good advice you guys give, and try and apply it to our lives. :unsure:

J is 9, and we have been waiting to hear from CAMHS since our GP referred him, last September. Yesterday I got a letter, The gist of it is this:-

It says that that have received a referral from our GP, and in order to help them decide if their service is the best one for my son and family, please fill in form and send back. Thaey will then decide, based on the info I give them. whether or not they are the most appropriate service to offer us help at this time. :unsure:

The form, is quite straightforward, asking for permission to contact school, and asking me to outline the problems, and also let them know of other agency intervention.

Can anyone tell me please, Is this the way it works? When the letter arrived, I thought it would be an appointment :tearful: No such luck.

Does anyone have any idea how much longer we will have to wait? SENCO says that in her opinion diagnosis is essential.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Sarah

:(

Edited by Sarah666

Hi Sarah,

That is practically exactly the same format as the letter I first received regarding my daughter.

I rang them up and spoke to them as to how long we would have to wait for an appointment - at the time we were having a serious problem with my daughters eating which was why we were referred.

She told me to send the form in straight away - I faxed it through there and then (I've just checked and the letter was dated the 5th and we had an appointment through for the 18th of that month).

I would ring them tomorrow morning and if you can fax back the form.

Good luck,

Jb

Hi jb

Thanks for such a speedy reply. I have the form filled in, and I will telephone CAMHS tomorrow. I think its time to put the pressure on now. Poor J seems to be getting worse and worse, his meltdowns are just awful sometimes, and as hard as I try to keep his life stress free, I dont seem to be doing very well.

M is 7 (J's little brother) and I feel so guilty sometimes, because his life seems to be suffering so much, and I truly do think that to get some help for us ALL is well overdue. My hubby doesnt really talk to me very much about J and his behaviour, and when he does, we seem to disagree about the best ways to deal with it. :tearful:

Once again, jb, thanks for your advice. I'll fax the form to them as well.

love

sarah

>:D<<'>

We had to fill in a form like this. at the time the educational psychologist was involved so CAMHS decision was to await the outcome of that assessment first, it all seemed to take ages at the time, and it was ages about a year in total. But now we are under the care of CAMHS and have a diagnosis in writing, so just keep on filing in the forms, phoning and chasing up appointments, hopefully it'll be worth it to get some help and professional monitoring of your childs condition, and guidance for yourselves.

:D hi sarah yes we filled in a similar form, make sure in your reply you highlight the difficulties and problems.Our school were very quick to reply back also, the fact he was having a very bad time there helped us get an urgent appointment. good luck suzex.

Hi suze

thanks for your reply. I think that J's school will also be quiet prompt in replying, they are seeing a lot of his behaviours. :tearful:

We are lucky that SENCO is very very helpful, and has been phoning CAMHS for the past fortnight to get them to get a move on.

Sarah

I had exactly the same form and sent these straight back this was late nov..... I then rang just after christmas and they said they hadn't received the form giving my permission for them to contact school so she emailed me a form which I sent off that day........... I received more forms (more detailed) a few weeks later and so did the school we both sent off our forms around the start of Feb.

I spoke to CAMHS at the beginning of this week and she said I am on the list for the next meeting where they decide if they are putting him on the Aspergers list for an appointment and I can look forward to that appointment being early next year..........

My son has very mild AS, *by my dx* and I am lucky this isn't as yet causing any problems at school.......... its just his behaviour and social understandings out of school.......

My main reason to get the dx is so I can start learning some strategies that may help him adapt socially.

I have been told that most children with mild AS aren't dx until senior school and that I have noticed it very early...... what use is my noticing it now if no one can help me?

Sorry to ramble.

Joanne xxx

I have been told that most children with mild AS aren't dx until senior school and that I have noticed it very early...... what use is my noticing it now if no one can help me?

Sorry to ramble.

Joanne xxx

Hi Joanne,

I don't want to go off the topic of the thread here - and I'm probably going to sound very silly asking this - but I've read this before and I can't really understand a diagnosis of 'Mild AS'? What does that mean? Surely a diagnosis of Aspergers is a diagnosis of Aspergers.

I thought AS was only diagnosed if a certain criteria was met i.e. triad of impairments plus all the other stuff they look at - I can understand people having 'better' and 'worse' days or much more difficult periods of their lives - which is probably only due to the level of anxieties or frustration they are dealing with at any given time.

'Mild AS' just doesn't make sense to me. Or is it that some people with AS have 'mild' social or communication problems?

Sorry for rambling on but I'm just totally confused over this.

Many thanks,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

When k was referred to CAMHS all we did was wait for an appointment i cant ever remember filling a form in but we did wait 19 months for an appointment.

lynn

I ddn't have a form to fill in we got a letter from them to say that paed has been in contact and could we go in and have an appointment, they wanted to see all of us. From then on it went pretty quick and we had appointments staraight away. :D

i must have been lucky. my gp referred ds and within 2 months i had an appointment and the dx him in the appointment!!!!!! so from referral to dx took 2 months. got another appointment next month but the dont want ds to be there just me and my husband to discuss him further - hes 4 so i dont know if age makes any difference???????????????????????

Hi Joanne,

I don't want to go off the topic of the thread here - and I'm probably going to sound very silly asking this - but I've read this before and I can't really understand a diagnosis of 'Mild AS'? What does that mean? Surely a diagnosis of Aspergers is a diagnosis of Aspergers.

I thought AS was only diagnosed if a certain criteria was met i.e. triad of impairments plus all the other stuff they look at - I can understand people having 'better' and 'worse' days or much more difficult periods of their lives - which is probably only due to the level of anxieties or frustration they are dealing with at any given time.

'Mild AS' just doesn't make sense to me. Or is it that some people with AS have 'mild' social or communication problems?

Sorry for rambling on but I'm just totally confused over this.

Many thanks,

Jb

Hi Jb

To be honest I haven't a clue either, I took it to mean that he is only showing mild social and communications problems, but after reading your post I am feeling that perhaps its due to the level of anxiety or frustration he is feeling.......... I am led to believe by my SENCo he isn't in need of urgent DX as he wont need support at school, and as friendly as she is I don't think she gets how hard I am finding home life........ I work in the school and she is my line manager...... sometimes I find this a bonus but others a hindrance....... Also I have seen an increased amount of bad days of late....... but I am not sure if that is now down to my knowledge (books I have read on AS) rather than his behaviour changing.

Joanne xxx

My main reason to get the dx is so I can start learning some strategies that may help him adapt socially.

Joanne xxx

Mummy21, I do not think a lot of people get any help in the form of strategies after dx, at least not by the ones giving the dx. All strategies I have learned come either from trial and error, reading about them in a book, and last but not least, from all the wonderful people on this forum.

Mummy21, I do not think a lot of people get any help in the form of strategies after dx, at least not by the ones giving the dx. All strategies I have learned come either from trial and error, reading about them in a book, and last but not least, from all the wonderful people on this forum.

In that case M.I.N I am sooo happy I found this forum :thumbs:

We filled a form in but at our first appointment. If it is the same type of form at least it will save you time when you get there.

CAMHS clearly varies from one county to the next. Ours does not diagnose problems like ASD's. We are then pushed on to another list!!! I still can't get to grips with what they actually do but i have been told they don't deal with M's problems! :blink:

mum22boys