opheila

so sick fed up with my local council its just not funny anymore

I have been having an ongoing battle with my coucil in central scotland to try and get a disabled parking space. my son and i both get DLA but not high rate of mobility.

I understand what they are saying the rules are for a parking space but for god sake how much more am i suppose to take

I live on a top floor flat of four in a block on the busy's street in our town. Most of the neighbours have two or more cars. The ones on the other side of the street well most of them have turned there front gardens in to parking bays. All bar a couple who constantly take the parking facilities outside our buildings. They treat us like dirt when we ask them to move and explain about our disablities and the amout of stuff that needs to be taken out when we go out ie special needs push chair, nappies food as he is on a special diet etc.

Last weekend was so bad as a guy with a hugh van parked outside on the pavement as well as the road refused to move and told me to F off. police etc were called and he was told to move it. I have a sign up asking people to please not park as i badly need to park because of my son.

I have just writen to my MP again and ask for help

and i have now been waiting over a week for the council to get back to me about the situation as the police told me it is for the council to put parking restrictions up to stop this happening all they can do is move people on

I am so fed up and depressed struggling day in day out to get in and out of these flats i have also been awarded 70 medical points because of the problems and waiting to be moved. This could take a while as they have no where suitable

well if that wasnt bad enough came home and a women who lives on the otherside of the street at the beginging just took the parking space and laughed and told me to get los

cant take anymore at the end of the line with struggling and to top it off my son kicked me in the ribs while changing him i have bruised ribs :crying::crying::crying:

are council couldnt give a dam about us they dont treat you much better than those ignorant people in the street sorry but so down had to share it before i completly crack up

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I hope its sorted soon.

Its a rotton thing to say but i hope one day these ignorant nasty self centered im alright jack sod you people get a taste of there own medicine and remember how they treat a mother and her child.

Hello Opheila,

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time at the moment.

Have you considered reapplying for DLA at the higher rate of mobility? From what you say it seems you are eligible.How old is you son?

We have the same problem in our street. In fact we dont leave the house after four because it is impossible to get a parking space when we return. I didnt realise you could apply for your own designated parking space.

Take care

Lorainexx

>:D<<'> Ophelia >:D<<'>

Sorry to hear that these ignorant people are doing this to you :angry: .

You say that you have just been awarded medical points. Could you get your GP/Paed etc to write (again??) to the Council saying just how much the present situation is affecting your health and the difficulties you are having.

Annie

xx

thankyou for your support

I have spoken to the DLA and again they have told me i will need to wait until my little boy is five before i can apply for mobility

I told them the problems i was having and how it was affecting my own health they also told me the council have their own polices for giving mobility spaces and it was nothing to do with them awarding people mobility which is what i was told by some person at the council

I am hoping to hear from MP soon maybe she will be able to hlep and disablilites social worker is coming to see me again on wednesday

you know what i didnt realise there was people who were so selfish like this it is a shame the tv programmes dont ask us parents what it is like living with children with disablities and living with in a community they are only intrested when there has be a tragady

thankyou so much for your support because right know i really need it you are all so kind

It is possible for your son to be awarded full mobility under 5 - I know of someone who was awarded it for their child when said child was 2 and a half. He is able to walk but only for short distances. I know each case is different but for them to just say 'He can't have till after 5' is WRONG! If he is bad enough HE CAN.

All I can say about the situation regarding the parking is shame on them! Likewise your local council too. Have you thought about getting in touch with your local paper and seeing if they will run a story...it might shame the council (and some of your neighbours) into action! I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Ophelia >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time at the moment.

I hope the others have some advice that can help you, get through this hurdle.

Just sending you lots of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hopefully you will get the right assistance you deserve soon.

Hailey

Im agree with phasmid getting in touch with a local paper or news programme could work wonders into raising awareness and shameing the council into action.

Hi Ophelia,

I'm so sorry that you're having such a difficult time with selfish and narrow-minded people. We've all gone through similar situations in one way or the other. I have seen on some streets bays that say only "keep clear" and usually they are respected. Couldn't you apply for such a solution for the time being? Sending a letter to your local newspaper could also help a bit. I have no other advice but don't let them bring you down!

>:D<<'> Curra

We have a designated parking space outside our house as we live in a terrace where all the parking is on the road.

Does your social services department have an occupational therapist? Our occupational therapist sorted this out for us before my sons were 3. We had to apply for a blue badge before we were able to apply for the parking space and although they are not usually given until the child is 3, the OT rang them up and explained the situation and they were fine with it. We got the blue badges quickly but had to wait until the beginning of the financial year (a couple of months) for the parking space! My sons also both got mobility from aged 3.

I really do understand how stressed you must be with the situation. I struggled up and down my street with my 2 autistic sons, their older sister and bags for a long time! Even now we have the space, people still park in it which drives me absolutely insane! I leave notes on their windscreens now as follows - "Please do not park in this DISABLED parking space, we have 2 disabled children who we need to get in and out of our house SAFELY"!!!!!!!! I have had many rows with people in the street as well. It is incredibly stressful and when you have an autistic child you have enough to deal with without that on top.

I am pretty sure that the reason we got the space was because of the fact that we have 2 children with no road sense and live on a main road. I would have thought from what you have said that you have a similar case as us so keep nagging them!

Good luck with it,

Melinda

Hi,

You can claim mobility for a child younger than 5. My daughter was awarded DLA mobility and care when she was 3. Not sure about designated parking spaces, as we havn't faced this. We have Blue Badge, and have encountered so many confrontations in car parks.......young family, 3 kids....must mean no one is disabled then and we've stolen the badge ( and yes, we have been accused of this!). Before jessica got her first wheelchair a few months ago, she was using a major buggy, supplied by wheelchair services. It was appalling the amount of people who assumed that because she didn't have wheelchair she wasn't disabled.....oh, I've developed a very thick skin! If it were me I'd be contacting papers etc, the more you highlight this the better. Stay strong and keep fighting!

Take care,

Debs

Edited by Bagpuss

Although you can automatically get a blue badge for High Rate mobility, you can get a blue badge without as it's discretionary. Do follow up with the OT, but speak to the council about the problems, because even if you reapply for DLA, it's going to take some time.

The papers are a good idea too. Can you phone your local reporter to highlight the problems, not just for you, but for anyone who has these problems.

Sending you big hugs!! ASK your Gp, your son's paed, his school, everybody you can think of to write letter's of support.

Iv'e got an app with the GP tonight as it got to the point that i need a badge. As you can see from my siggie is that i have got 3 children all with disabilites and in the past when i just had the 2. Somehow i managed but now i worry. So will be asking the GP if she will support me and will be taking the 3 of them as well :devil:

I have asked my eldest school to write a letter as well. Going to give the GP a copy of the reports where it is hinted very strongly at ASD.