lorryw

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, anyone?

Does anyone out there own a Cavalier King Charles spaniel or know anything about them?

We have toyed with the idea of getting guinea pigs but I so miss my little dog we are seriously thinking about having another. She was a little beagle and I dont want to replace her memory so would like another breed. Cavaliers have a good press and seem good natured little souls but I thought Id ask you guys just in case anyone knows differently.

cheers!

Loraine

Hi Lorryw,

Don't know about a King Charles but spaniels generally have great characters and are gentle. We have a cocker-spaniel and he's absolutely gorgeous - needs loads and loads of exercise but his temperament (especially around children - our youngest is 3yrs old) is absolutely fantastic and he doesn't bark at all (which we were worried about because our AS daughter is sensitive to certain noises) - although he is a digger (in the garden!!!) and a sniffer (when out walking!).

Good luck and take care,

Jb

We had a King Charles years ago. Lovely temprement. The vet told us that they were the best family dog to buy in terms of behaviour and being around children. :D We also had a cocker, but found them too hyper, although this could of just been ours :wacko:

Take care,

Debs

Cavalier King Charles are wonderful wonderful dogs to have around children. We've always had them in our family, but after our last one died I was too upset so wanted a different dog this time and we have a Lhasa Apso - he's brilliant with the kids, so intelligent and so gentle.

I couldn't recommend Cavaliers highly enough though.

Lynne x

Cavaliers are simply wonderful, so affectionate, intelligent and real companions. We have always had them since we got married. All they want is loving - an ideal dog for children. I wouldn't have anything else.

Yoyo

I had a cocker spaniel and he was lovely. The only thing to consider is that they have long fur and it needs brushing every day to prevent knots. they also suffer eye and ear problems. My Dog ended up blind and during his life he had ear trouble on and off, more on than off. If you do get one I would seriously consider pet insurance.

I have two cavaliers aged 2 and 4 they are really lovely gentle dogs and my son who had a terrible fear of dogs when he was younger loves them .I often find him curled up with them fast asleep( he is 15) he seems to get great comfort from them and will turn to them when he is upset for hugs etc. even when he is in a mood with us he never gets upset with them and will often storm off and go talk to them. We had a jack russell whom we all loved but he began to get jealous of my son so we had to rehome him and the vet suggested getting a cavalier as we were broken hearted after he went .It was the best choice we ever made.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Theresa

Just to add they need a lot of affection and attention much like children and don't like to be alone for long,if you brush their hair everyday ( as you do your own and your childrens) they will not get matts.

Edited by asereht

Thank you for all your replies, we will start our puppy search after our summer holidays. Ive taken all your great advice on board.

Love Lorainexx