Sign in to follow this  
shortie

blood test hell!

took DD for blood & urine test today,it was absolutely AWFULL!! taking the blood wasn't the problem i dont think, it was the fact i had to hold her really tight which she hates,it took me holding her,2 nurses to take the blood and 2 play theraspists to try & distract her!!took blood from her arm then her hand,STILL didn't get enough but the nurse said it would have to do,she refused to put her through it any more as she was hysterical!! :( as for the urine test they gave me the pack to do at home,taking it in tomorrow when she goes bk for HEARING TEST!!another day from hell :tearful: But on the bright side went to a parent support group this morning and it was great,really friendly,they even do a pre-school session every day so days shes not at SALT,I can take her there,they will even pick us up in mini bus as i dont drive :dance::thumbs:

Ooh Shortie I feel for you.

I know when you posted the other day I wanted to say how terrible it was for my daughter - but didn't want to get you worked up - I know sometimes for me the little I knew the better.

My daughter had loads and loads of these tests done when she was a baby and it was a nightmare - I can remember the once - they told us to leave the room because she screamed so much - they were putting in a drip/antibiotic line - and she was completely hysterical but she was also very ill so we knew she had to have it done.

Nowadays my daughter is 12 and she is absolutely petrified of blood, needles, hospital etc - and I'm sure it's from all her experiences in hospital.

Hope she's calmed down now.

Take care,

Jb

Oh, shortie i know how destressing it is for both you and your daugther... When my son was little he had to have loads of blood test and it was a nightmare... One time it was so bad they wanted to put a drip in a vein in his head and i said no, he used to struggle and it also took 3 people to hold him down, Its not the blood test like you say its the restraining that upsets them.

On a brighter side he is so used the blood test now that he just holds his arm out....

Sorry it was a bad experience for your little 'un. Hope you're both feeling better. I can just reiterate what justamom says.

My son had lots of blood tests as a little 'un, plus he has regular heart check-ups involving scans, blood pressure tests, EEGs etc. He doesn't much like them, but he is 'used' to them, and is brilliant when doctors say 'let's just listen to you chest'.

He's also great when doctors ask him to open wide and say aaaah - he's had so much tonsillitis, bless him. In fact he's better when doctors ask, rather than wading in with their big wooden spatula, which he hates. I try to get them to ask first - a little sensitivity goes a long way!

My son has just had his tonsils out in hospital and I'm sure his previous experiences helped him through the latest.

Remember also that they do change with age - I never thought it would be possible for my son to lie still while having his heart scanned, with all that goo all over his chest, but now he jumps up on the bed and watches the screen intently.

Oh, so feel for you on this one. Same here with our daughter :tearful: Lots and lots of blood tests, from various locations on her body, and endless screaming and being physcially restrained :(:( So, so tough as a parent not to pick them up and run out the door :tearful::(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Debs x