Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Camper Van

Ok, dh really really really wants a VW Campervan. I really really really want one too. Our 5 year old twin ds's would adore one too.

We probably would not holiday in it, more for the odd night away, fun days out and just a fun vehicle that we all would love.

Problem. Me. Money.

We have two T reg cars, nothing fancy and we rely on them both. We own both outright having finished paying for one of them ?100 per month.

We still save the ?100 we used to pay (but been naughty and keep nicking it for other stuff :dance: )

So we could afford the camper - thinking about 5k - pay for it over 4 to 5 years. My concern is that we would be buying a much older vehicle that I guess would be less reliable and would we get the same longevity from it that we would if we say went and bought an 03/04 reg car.

Life would be alot easier if we won the lottery, or if I could make a bl**dy decision!!

I just have this real niggle, even though really want it. Dh thinks I am an old woman and should just go for it. I have never done anything rash in my life, always really measured sensible decision that have worked for the family. So please help, I would love to hear some opinions.

Elaine

Hi Elaine :) I must profess to having a liking for VW Campervans myself - I've always wanted one. However, 5k is a lot of money in anyone's eyes and it's something you must think long and hard about before coming to any firm decisions either way.

Ooooh, I love them too!! :wub:

Go on...do something rash and go for it!! :clap:

After having to buy a people carrier when no. 4 was on the way, 5K isn't that much really!! ;)

Woo hoo...and you could get a tattoo!! :clap:

(Are you sure this shouldn't be in the Midlife Crisis thread?? :lol::lol: )

Boho :dance:

Check out e-bay! There have been some great ones on there and mostly for a lot less than 5K! Search locally and go and look at a few before committing anything. Have a test drive too if you can and make sure you can actually drive it...nothing worse than buying a car/van and then finding niether of you likes driving it.

Good luck!

hi,adams mum dh here.we just spent 5k on a p reg t4 caravelle 9 seater for when no.5 arrives.i think what your looking for is not a full blown camper but a day van,if you get a vw.it will have seats a pull out bed and space. buy a tent that fixes up to the car a camping stove/kitchen and either use bushes or go on sites with toilet blocks.if you get a vw van or day van you can use it as a everyday car and will be easy to resale.when novelty wears off.if you get a van you can use sleeping bags inside.5k wont get much of a camper but will buy a late 90,s t4 or a very tidy older model.you could spend less but may pay more on repair bills especially if its not diy.oh dont buy autos the boxs dont last long.

Go for it Elaine! :thumbs:

I'm very jealous! Bit of a hippy-chic - i've always wanted one!

Was feeling very pathetic last week, and dp came home with a campervan keyring.... :clap: Cheered me up no end :wub: (easily pleased... :rolleyes::lol: ).

AND .... I have been known to base a whole weeks planning (i work with little 'uns) around them.... :whistle::D

Oh!!!!! - you have too.. :thumbs::bounce::bounce:B)

I've been trying not to get involved in this thread...

When Zemanski and I first got together we lived on a bus - later we had an ambulance for short and long breaks from the city.

They were The Happiest Days of My Life :clap::thumbs::wub:

You'd be mad not to!