Sign in to follow this  
lotty

dla, reapply, appeal, reconsider????

Hi, I have posted on the DLA topic but it seems quite general over there. My eldest has aspergers and was quickly awarded higher rate care DLA. my middle son is much harder to look after, incontinence, selective mutism, sleep walking night time weeing, behavioural problems and you know what i mean yhe list goes on, as i put on my other post i applied for dla for him and he was refused on the grounds of no incontinence and no night time care? they were my very reasons for applying as i am like a zombie through never ever slepping for a night.

Now I dont know what to do, some people say they phoned them and got it sorted, some appeal, or can you just send another form, with more evidence in? I do blame the school as the dla wrote to them and they sent a letter back stating he was absolutley fine. I wouldnt mind but when i try to speak to the school they dont have time to listen. All I want to know is the easiest way to reaply. like the reason of his refusal was not right as he has all the things they said he doesnt....HELP

Lotty, you need to make a list of their reasons for turning your son down and then under each item put down all the difficulties your son has relating to those things. Put in the post with a letter asking for reconsideration because of the reasons you have stated, recorded deliver (or if you don't mind paying for it... special delivery). Immediately ring them and tell them you want a reconsideration on the decision because the reasons they refused are not applicable to your son. Tell them you are also putting this in writing. Don't be afraid of being emotive but don't get angry either.

Lauren

I think there is a benefit helpline or something like that where someone can come out and help you.We have a lady named *________ and she comes from our Childrens Disablilty team.Maybe someone on here knows of one in your area.Other than that my Social worker was very helpful with my application do you have a SW ?

Kind regards

Lisa

(* edited by moderator to remove name)

Hi

Definitely appeal. Appeal procedure should be advised on paperwork. Can you bypass school. I know that contact names of people are required but your son doesn't need night-time care at school, so bypass them on that one and appeal on those grounds. With my son's DLA form, I listed his care worker, nursery manager, educational psychologist, health visitor, paediatrician, consultant, etc. I also photocopied reports from various professionals. Most of these people won't have a clue what level of care your son needs at night.

Best of luck

C.

We were initially refused with Logan too, but phoned and asked them to reconsider, and they give you six weeks to pull additional information together and get it sent to them. We ended up getting the highest rate of care. Even if you are refused when you ask them to reconsider you can still appeal that decision too.

Good luck.

Lynne x

Hi,

We too are stuck in the DLA whirlpool!!!!

I applied for M in November. He was refused in Jan because of the school report. I asked for reconsideration during which time i put together all the info I could. i asked strangers to write up accounts on M's behaviour, asked friends with kids the same age to write with the differences and sent in letter from pead. The school however were another story. the head initially agreed to re-write the report up but weeks later and I was still asking. Eventually he was turned down again. This time i am going to appeal.

I took my hubby along to see the head with me and we managed to get her to rewrite the report stating all his problems ( I had to tell her before hand though what she should have written about with regards to what had been happening at school). She did do a letter and I have been told by a lovely lady at the DLA office that even though i have asked for appeal they will relook at all the info again before the appeal. If sucessful no appeal, if not then appeal it will be. I now have a letter from the DLA stating it is being looked at again and we will have the decision in 11 weeks.

Keep on at the school. Keep making appointments and going in there telling them what the problems are. Have you asked the DLA for a copy of the school report. If you haven't do it and then you can take the actual report in to the school and list all the bits you disagree with. That is what i did and for every thing I disagreed with I had a example to back me up with regards to the school.

Good luck.

mum22boys

When doing the dla forms you di not need to give for the dla permission to contact the school. Most people dont realise this - Schools just dont realise the importance of these forms and they lack our experuince in dealing with the red tape surrounding our children.

I would advice anyone to look and think carefully when filling this part in and if you do have problems with dla contacting certain professionslas make it clear on the form.

When you appeal you can request a copy of all the evidence they used.

Our local Welfare Rights team helped me with mine and my sisters applications. Would suggest you contact yours.

When doing the dla forms you di not need to give for the dla permission to contact the school. Most people dont realise this - Schools just dont realise the importance of these forms and they lack our experuince in dealing with the red tape surrounding our children.

I would agree, if you are asking the DLA officer to take in things that only happen at home then school is not the best place to suggest that they seek further evidence. You can ask your spouse to do it as they are a different person as far as DLA is concerned. I don't think teachers are the right people to ask to do this - unless there is a statement perhaps and the teacher is a good SENCo.

I would agree, if you are asking the DLA officer to take in things that only happen at home then school is not the best place to suggest that they seek further evidence. You can ask your spouse to do it as they are a different person as far as DLA is concerned. I don't think teachers are the right people to ask to do this - unless there is a statement perhaps and the teacher is a good SENCo.

in that box i used my mum, on the form it says give the name of there school and teacher, so i did, i had no idea they would write to them as i told dla that accademically he was fine, no statement etc but they contacted them anyway?