brooke

hairdressers

Took o to hairdresser today what a nightmare!!! Normally leave it for as long as poss! We had diving on the floor :P then lying on the seats then hands flapping under the robe so there was hair going everywhere the hairdresser did well under the circumstances i should just be gratful i can get him there!! I find it quite hard to explain what is wrong with ol so i normally dont tell people maybe if i was better with words but it just sounds like im making excuses for him and im not too bothered what other people think :whistle:

Hi Brooke,

Know exactly what you mean - it's a nightmare. I've managed to get someone to come to the house now - although it cuts out the waiting time (which causes my daughter massive anxieties) she still finds it mega stressful.

Take care,

Jb

I avoided taking our dd to the hairdressers until she was 5, and I only took her then because she managed to get hold of some kitchen scissors and cut half her hair off :( I was the same with the dentist :( Now she visits both on a regular basis and our fears proved to be unfounded thankfully, although we do whip her in and out as fast as poss :D I think the idea of having someone visit your house is definately worth a try and may make some difference.

ahhhhh i recall this well - luckily I've a son :dance: so i invested in hair clippers and a quart of vodka ( the vodkas for me!)

Basically i weep and wail and he howls and shreaks and we finally get a 'number 2 all over' every few months when my mum pulls me - calling aforemnetioned son ' coconut head' LOL

i did the hairdresser path - and i never went back since he was about 6 ( hes 13 now! ) He tells me that after my last vicious clippering that school mates called him 'chav' cos i billiard balled his bonce :crying:

The last time I took T to a hairdressers, he kicked a glass shelf in front of him from the wall. I vowed never again!

Npow I have found a wonderful lady who's nephew is Autistic so she has experience and is great with T. She comes to the house when I call her so he's in his home environment. The first few sessions were a nightmare but he calmed down and has since been great. The last appointment, he was an angel. :thumbs:

She did comment on not leaving it too long between haircutting sessions b/c as the hair grows longer, it's more sensitive and so the child plays up. I had once let T's hair grow b/c I didn't have the money at that time to have it cut and boy, did T kick off.

Now he has it cut every 5-6 weeks without fail! :lol:

Think I must be one of the lucky ones Char just freezes on the chair the poor woman has to move his head into the position she wants.He does flap if the hair goes on his face but the woman is really good with him and knows he doesn't like it touching his face and tries her best to make sure it doesn't.

Lisa x

Hairdressers is stressful here too making DS particularly hyperactive. Aside from the looks you get when people talk to him expecting him to react like a typical four year old and he just looks blank he's also lunged at the poor hairdressers breasts, shrieks loudly and tried to pick up random customers coats with his mouth pretending to be a dog :whistle::oops: Hairdresser is very young but lovely and has got used to him!

Preschool teacher made me a social story about going to the hairdressers and last time he was as good as gold. It took advantage of his rigidity as he sat there holding his book doing exactly what it sad at the appropriate time like a rule manual. He refused to turn over the page until we were at that point! Off again in the next week or so so will see whether it was a fluke but hope not.

don't know if your child is into social stories but if so might be worth trying

Lx

:P we do home haircts with the old vidal baboon hair clippers.My boy has,nt had his hair done for months and it,s grown into a long floppy shaggy mess........which he loves :whistle: ..........but last night I really had to trim the back and around his ears........he went nuts...........he,s a big lad and was shouting and yelling at me...........a bit intimidating :crying: ...........we ended up screaming at each other............oh the joys....... :rolleyes: .............sonow I,ve decieded he can grow it long and deciede himself when he wants it cut :P

I have a really close friend whose son is blind and has many sensory difficulties similar to my boys.He also hates to have his haircut, she discovered it was the hair falling onto his face he did,nt like so she now clips his hair as he lies upside down...........and it,s been heaps better.Just thought that might work for some of your kids.Suzex.

My boys are fine now, just a bit fidgety when having their hair cut. I've never had a problem with William....but Luke :o He's still talked about in Fenwicks barbers in Newcastle for virutually bringing the whole hairdressing department to a stand still. All the stylists used to nip round to the barbers bit to offer him biscuits etc. There was Luke in this special kids chair shaped like a car, me and him sweating while I tried to hold him still, tears, hair and sweat all over Luke, me and the barber (who is a family friend and was very very kind and patient)... it was a veritable night mare. If it wasn't for the fact that he has very thick hair which when long makes his head look like a balloon I wouldn't have bothered.

Then, one magical day he just stopped and sat like an angel while having his haircut. But before that happened it got to the stage where two of us had to go to hold him still. I feel terrible now knowing how much he hated the whole experience :( He was exactly the same with having his hair washed.

Like I said, luckily for us that's all a thing of the past and I think he was about 7 when he stopped having problems.

Lauren

Haven't done hairdressers for a long time. All the boys (me included) get a number 2 all over every 6 weeks courtesy of a set of clippers we bought for a tenner from Woolies.

Taking our two Autistic boys to the hairdresser is far too stressful to think about. It's stressful enough at home!

Simon

hi

Lauren you have just reminded me of a time when i took Ol to fenwick barbers it was hilarious not at the time!! but ol wouldnt sit still and the hairdresser just kept chopping his hair i have never seen such a bad haircut in my life my husband thought id done it myself it was that bad :lol: it was in the salon bit though so i dont think it will of been your nice family friend!!

Edited by brooke

Hi

I have problems with my son getting his hair cut. I understand your reluctance to tell people about your child's difficulties, but personally I think the only way people will understand is to give them the chance and tell them. Chances are that that would relieve a bit of stress on all parties including the hairdresser who may be wondering what's going on. Admittedly I let me son's hair grow fairly long so that it's almost in his eyes, tickly, gets sweaty, etc. He's actually asked for a haircut which is brilliant. At least that way he realises himself why it's best to get your hair cut.

Good luck!

Caroline.

i hav to cover reece from his forehead to his toes with a sheet as he cannot get any hair on his face we usually still end up in a sweat and a few tears later we r usually done i put the clippers over on the lowest setting before bald lol as not to hav to do it again to quickly.

hi

Lauren you have just reminded me of a time when i took Ol to fenwick barbers it was hilarious not at the time!! but ol wouldnt sit still and the hairdresser just kept chopping his hair i have never seen such a bad haircut in my life my husband thought id done it myself it was that bad :lol: it was in the salon bit though so i dont think it will of been your nice family friend!!

:lol::lol: oh wow, you've reminded me too of the many 'half' hair cuts Luke had... you were very brave brooke to take him to the stylists part :o I wouldn't have dared venture in there with Luke I think we would have been thrown out and banned :ph34r::lol:

That particular barber has retired or it might be the end of this month, but thank god for him is all I can say or Luke would've had hair down his back :D

Lauren

kieran will only let me cut is hair, clippers are a godsend to me otherwise he d look like chubbaka from star wars ,mind you if sometimes they pull his hair he goes off on one.He once said that i couldnt carry on but i told him you go round with only half your haircut then.he soon changed his mind.

lynn

I have someone come to the house for my two ASD boys. Its taken quite a long time, but they will now sit and have their hair cut without too much fuss. Turns out it was the water spray one didnt like. Hairdresser cuts it dry now - perhaps not such a perfect cut. The other one didnt like the noise of the clippers so she uses scissors only. He also became a little more co-operative when he began to realise that girls prefer boys with nice haircuts (he has recently become interested in the subject of girls). He then let the hairdresser give him a spikey sort of doo which wasnt too bad. At least at home if they kick off (and they have many a time) its less embarassing and the hairdresser has been very patient.

Daisydot :curlers: