Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

IEP's (x 2)

IEP Part 1:

In my role as (newish) SEN Governor, I was discussing IEP's with the new SENCO.

I found out that they are using the outcome section, to describe the hoped for eventual outcome (eg: he will read more fluently), and no where is it recorded whether the targets were met or not!!

Also (probably because of the above), most Teachers are just overwriting the existing IEP, and no copy is kept of the old one!

I am a bit shocked that no-one has picked this up before, and that it is not appreciated that these IEP's are evidence of progress or not (although one child has been recently statemented, so not sure what evidence was used for that).

I'm off to read the "Managing IEP's" link, and we are going to sort it out over the next few weeks.

IEP Part 2:

I at last managed to get a meeting with R's Individual Needs Manager (that's her new description!) and Head of Year. Saw them this afternoon (though INM coudl only stay for 15 minutes!!). I asked various questions eg: is R still on SA+ - yes, but doesn't really matter what level they are on, as all children get what they need anyway. Funny that last year when he was not even on SA, I kept being told there was no money for this and that, and that only statemented children get LSA help!

eg: can I have a copy of the IEP's from Nov 04 and June 05 with the outcomes filled in. She says yes, but I have asked several times before and they have not materialised.

eg: can I have copies of the two most recent IEP's? - apparently they are only doing IEP's for the statemented children now, as no one was taking any notice of the IEP's anyway!!!! I was a bit gobsmacked to put it mildly. The children are just going to have their individual targets (which all children have). R does not know his, as they have not been written into his planner (since April) and as far as I know no record is kept of whether they were met. The INM says that IEP's are not compulsory - yes - but I thought there had to be some way of recording targets and progress??

eg: his english teacher did not know that R has AS, and did not know he did not go to any English lessons last year - apparently that's because she is new - yes - but she's been there since Sept 05!

It is amazing what a difference a few years makes - when I went to look at the school the Unit was run by one teacher, then (before R started) she left and it was run by two teachers part-time, now it is run between three teachers part time.

It is just as well R does not have any major problems this year - how on earth is inclusion going to work like this!

Karen

Kazzen, is this IEP problem becoming universal I wonder?

Luke's HT/SENCO doesn't use them at all but she can knock one together whenever the LEA or OFSTED are hovering.

After officially requesting one she handed me a scribbled effort with the most ridiculous targets, dated back to January :huh: If it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious. This seems to give her carte blanche to announce to all interested parties that Luke 'is making excellent progress'... as there is no documented evidence to prove that he isn't.

Lauren

An IEP ought to be a working document. I frequently scrawl over the ones of the children I work with. They serve a very good purpose...provided of course they are there to be used in the first place!

Com had an IEP, hand written, not very specific but not too bad, at his Y8 review.

At his Y9 review we were given a 'new' IEP - it turned out to be the old one typed up :o

His statement now says he should have his IEP reviewed with us there every half term, that was supposedly put in place in November, so far he still hasn't got one and we haven't been invited to review it :huh:

I suppose as he's off sick long term it isn't really one of my most important issues at the moment - not when the responsible officer is refusing to return calls or acknowledge letters and we need to call an emergency review, even the ed psycho who works in the same office can't get hold of her :wallbash:

Zemanski

our irresponsible officer has never met Com (in 6 years) and only met us last March at his last emergency review. She didn't turn up to his home visit as part of his stat. assessment, has never been available to take a phone call or returned one, did not attend either tribunal (didn't even tell the tribunal she was 'on holiday' till the day of the last one) and hasn't replied to a letter or email ever since - thats almost 3 years now!!!

have been meaning to complain for some time :blink:

Zemanski

got rather a lot else to sort out at the moment - keeping a list of all the missed appointments and ignored letters though.

the trouble with complaining is then they will transfer Com to the senior responsible officer who might well turn up and answer letters but is a complete b*****d and I loathe him :angry:

at least I can work around the one I've got and when the time comes I'll have plenty of evidence to haul the LEA over the coals with :D

Zemanski

LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY!!

If you have NOT signed your child's IEP/IBP then it is NOT officially sanctioned and is deemed illegal/not applicable. If you don't agree - DON'T SIGN!!!

AT EVERY INSTANCE where you have not signed the IEP/IBP INFORM THE GOVERNING BODY! in writing!

you have to realise that these people are only protecting their jobs. thier priority is not your children. if the GB through constant and persisitant provable complaints see what a ###### job the school is doing they will give BAD JOB APRAISALS. This is your main tool against it.

*hugs*

Edited by nvapid

the trouble with complaining is then they will transfer Com to the senior responsible officer who might well turn up and answer letters but is a complete b*****d and I loathe him :angry:

Zemanski

at this point you need to go over their heads and go straight to your MP and head of education for your LA. works every time... plus i know someone on the guardian educational section...PM me for the email.