Sign in to follow this  
Fionamg

Hi to everyone

I have posted but thought I'd better introduce myself. My name is Fiona and I have three children. The oldest, my son (8) has ASD, my daughter (7) has DiGeorge Syndrome (a deletion on chromosome 22) and my youngest daughter (3) has ASD. My children have multiple allergies such as milk, eggs, nuts, penicillin and my oldest is on a milk-free diet. My youngest has been on a milk-free diet since birth and we are now trying her on a gluten-free diet with good results so far.

My son had a terrible time with cows milk and suffered very bad eczma until I took him off it. I then (rather foolishly) put him back on cows milk at two and within a couple of weeks he had lost all his speech and all his understanding of speech, which had been good. I didn't make a connection between milk and losing speech as you don't expect cows milk to have that sort of effect! We had him assessed and got a diagnosis of autism and I was told that he had had an autistic regression. It wasn't until 18 months later that I made the connection and took him off cows milk again. In a week he went from single words to putting words together and has just gone on from there. I'm not saying it cured his autism, he is still just as autistic but he is no longer lethargic, tired all the time, can concentrate and so can learn. He is in a mainstream school and is doing well.

I took no chances with my youngest and never put her on cows milk. She has however stopped making progress and has gone from being 'intellegent' which is what we were told at her diagnosis to having severe learning difficulties only 18 months later, so she must have made no progress at all during that time. In desperation and bearing in mind my sons' experience I am now trying a gluten-free diet. Time will tell.

Sorry this is so long but I had complicated children (don't we all)

Fiona

HI FIONA IM DONNA I HAVE REECE WHOS SUSPECTEDLY HAS ASD HE IS 5 AND SHANNON IS 4 NT JUST GOING THROUGH HELL TO TRY AND GET REECE ASSESSED I HAVE NOT LONG FOUND THIS SITE BUT EVERY IS REALLY NICE AND HAVE GIVEN ME HELP AND SUPPORT HOPE TO CHAT SOON