Sign in to follow this  
tabz2711

Warped Sense of Humour

I just wondered whether I should be acting differently with my 15 yr old who is suspected of having AS.

We have a very warped sense of humour especially me and kids, hubby has not got as it its been past down from my side of the family Grandfather, my Dad and all my brothers and sisters.

Our 15 yr old really makes us laugh with what she says, we laugh with her and not at her and she seems to join in, but I wondered whether we should be diferent with her. I am a counsellor and am hopefully aware of her feelings especially if we might have gone too far. Its mostly me and not the whole family.

I always check out with her if we have had a laugh and she is able to talk to me anytime. Last night she was sat on our bed and I asked her to move the cat from the bed, we started laughing about her telling us a few months ago that when the cat sleeps in her bedroom, she turns around away from the cat when she is getting undressed ready for bed so the cat can't see her with no clothes on. I asked her whether she would do the same if a mouse, hamster, etc were in her room, she said yes she would turn away but she would be ok with a fly, insect or bee seeing her get ready for bed.

I really don't want to upset her and she seems fine about it, but maybe she might be feeling different on the inside.

Edited by tabz2711

my dd 6 was on the computer with my dh and ds when hollywood came up on the computerand my ds said look theres hollywood thats in the us at that my dd sarted to screm hes calling me names she didt under stand that they were not talking about her she was up set all night her name is holly so it makes you think what they do understand all the best jill

Laughter is the best medicine and i too have a warped sense of humor, we too laugh constantly here and it does help alot because otherwise i would be crying most of the day. We too laugh with out son and not at him....

I could write a book about the things that he says, its was makes him him IUKWIM, its his Keeganism's

Edited by justamom

Hi Tabz,

I can understand what you mean - my daughter has inherited my hubby's sense of humour which is totally different to mine - she enjoys things like the simpsons, futurama and family guy - which she watches with her dad because they laugh together.

However, lots of stuff she says makes us all laugh and she will say very similar things like the cat/fly thing that your daughter said - my daughter laughs with us too.

My daughter finds it very difficult to express what she is feeling - basically because sometimes she isn't aware of what she's feeling or why she feels like it.

Although I don't know what your daughter is like - but with mine I've always had a saying that what you see is what you get - there is no hiding/manipulating/sneaking/or covering up of emotions - if she was upset over something we laughed at or said you would be able to read her like a book as her whole body/gestures/speech would change instantly.

Take care,

Jb

Tabz

i think youre doing a great job and have got it just right.

We too laugh with and not at our son hes 12 and As.You have to else youd be crying.Thing is he doesnt realise hes funny but he is.We can joke with him and say stuff like "come on be dareing put a clean paire of socks on" or " how about being spontanius just for once eh live dangerously" :D

I never ever though make fun of the fact hes problems tieing sho laces or difficulty putting things into words coz that would be in my mind an attack on him as a person and hit his confidence.I love him to bits and againe when i go to cuddle him and he says "get off" i will give him a kiss and say oh shut up its happened now yer paine.To which i met with gunfire from his toy gun next time i pass him.he calls it revenge.

I think we all cope in a way we best can and who is anyone to say were doing it wrong.

:D