Sign in to follow this  
board

advice

hello was wonder if anyone can give me some advice on this my dd6 aspergers last night she went mad just trowing her self on the floor then swearing and hitting me but she dose that but last night was diffrent she sart hitting her self and biteing her self i had to hold her to stop her it up set me to see her do this what can i do any help please jill

I wish I could advise you. I've never really worked out a formula for dealing with melt downs. I just run with it as it happens. I've swung from staying calm and talking him through it, to going down on my knees begging him to stop :lol: Nothing really works. If I ignore him it gets worse; if I reason with him it gets worse. I reckon that once they'e reached the melt down stage you just have to let it run it's course.

What I have found is that as he's getting older I'm finding that if I keep talking none stop in a postive way I can sometimes avert a melt down; although that will be more difficult with a 6 year old.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> a few hugs is about the best I can offer :(>:D<<'>

Lauren >:D<<'>

Hi Board,

Sorry can't offer any advice really - wish I could but my daughters how Lauren has said - once she's lost control there's no getting through to her.

She self-harms - head butts the walls, scrams her face and pulls her hair out - she also bites/scrams me and she'll be thirteen tomorrow. She's had these when the CPN has been visiting - and she walked me through loads of things that they advise - nothing worked and she felt totally helpless - when she could see the advice they give was totally useless.

Take care - hope something works for you soon,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Hi Board,

Can't offer advice either because I have still the same problems with my DS12. When he was 6 I held him and tried to divert his attention to something that he liked. Sometimes it worked and he stopped his screaming and hitting. I think that the main thing during a meltdown is to avoid your child, you and others getting hurt - and staying calm. I've made things worse by losing my patience.

Lots of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Curra

Jill read your post . >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I have had a similar experience with Ben.Fortunately we only had one episode of headbanging against his bed post.I found it one of the most upseItting things to manage.Ben is 8.I held him firmly and told him very clearly that I would not allow him to hurt himself.I kept hold of him until he calmed down.However anxious you feel try to appear calm.I have a book''people with autism behaving badly''[Author John Clements.Publisher JKP]I found it useful.I have asked the EP to cover self harm in the next session on behaviour at ASD parent support group.Will see if I get any new ideas there and will pass them on.Karen

I agree with what everyone has said but it might also help to find the trigger to the meltdowns, easier said than done i know but thats the advice i was given when keegan had a mega meltdown last thursday!!!

Could not find the trigger and let the meltdown run its course......