Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

the school where my son is are totally ignorant

hi

basically i remember ages back on the forum somewhere some one posted links of info u could print of and hand in to the school .

my son is at mainstream -school action plus -and the hospital are considering statement next sept -hes moving up from reception -to next class this sept.

because i have no dx -but am waiting reports from camhs team /autistic lady-and im too take them in school.but they reluctant to give firm dx as they say hes just scored on autistic scale-but admittedhes got major sensory probs and processing probs ect.....

i think the school are sweeping me and my son under the carpet -ive been in many times ect....... blah ...blah.......i just come away with the impression they think im making a big deal out of stuff.

i even spoke to head teacher yesterday regarding the moving class /teacher-she gave me load of clap trap saying all his stuff -paperwork will be passed on to next teacher ect....

and this thur they are all getting a hour in new classroom to see it ect.......

to be honest -my son needs more explaining and help to relise hes moving class .

ive had enough problems at home with him regarding ###### supply teachers.

guess what she said -the famous all the children will feel like that cause its a big change .and that was it -i left.

this woman is a head teacher -are they not educated in autism??

i belive this school is rubbish and considering changing to one i know deals with sen -but ive put it off cause i thought that only would make my son worse -moving school? plus was waiting these assesments -not once have the hospital said they would move him.

of course i now know it all boils down to goverment and cash .

any way i was just aftwer some paperwork i can take in to the headteacher -cause im not good with words and find written down stuff is better for me at getting point across.

she even said well its not our problem if hes doing that at home - :wacko::wacko: self hurting -of course its there problem -cause thats the reason hes doing it -im sure i read somewhere about this -and it was put down in a good way explaining why they r doing it at home cause the stress hes coping with at school----hope u all understand that.

anyway any links welcome ect.....

thanks all

rq :wub:

Hi rq Sorry school are being so unhelpful.In answer to your comment re headteachers being educated about autism unfotunately in a word no a lot of them are not.If you are looking for info to give to the school to raise awareness NAS have information that you can download.Go to NAS website then professionals there is a list of articles on ASD and aspergers for teachers.Thought I would add-school should provide support according to SEN not Dx even if you do not have Dx yet don't let them fobb you off.Karen

Edited by Karen A

RQ,

Even some of the teachers who do have knowledge of autism are still reluctant to acknowledge difficulties and intervene. I am dealing with an HT/SENCo who has been provided with everything she needs to know from general descriptions to specific assessment reports on my boys, and she is still of the attitude that they are no different from anyone else and somehow, by osmosis they will be fine. She has no choice but to acknowledge their difficulties, but she seems to think that they will just magically go away if we ignore it long enough. I suppose technically she's right; because William has already left, and Luke only has another two years there, so from her perspective it will all go away!!!!

As for moving schools. If you know of a school which is better suited to meeting your sons needs, then taking into account his age I think you could do no harm in moving him.

If you contact the school (quickly before the end of term), you are happy with what they can offer, and there is a place for your son I'd move him (if it were me).

I'm stuck with our rubbish school because my son is 9 and would be miserable and very upset if I moved him now. However, your son is young enough, but more importantly if a different school is able to support him properly he will feel the benefit and any upset at moving would be minimal.

Lauren

what steps do you?the process to start for statementing? you can start the process yourself you know.they are loads of peeps that give advice on that.Is your child on scholl action etc and have you any ieps?i would just kept asking in a polite way how they are getting on and how your child is doing on the pscales etc.good luck.

Hi Rainbow Queen,

Your story sounds very familiar.

M is in year 1 (going into year 2 in sept) and I too have battled with the school for over a year. They too sweep it all under the carpet.

As your child is under CAMHS I would suggest you ask who you are under there to attend a meeting at the school with the head and yourself in September. M's head would not accept from me that M was having problems until CAMHS came in and actually said to her 'he is showing signs of AS'. (M is still waiting to be diagnosed) That wasn't the end of the problems though as I still fight for them to acknowledge M's problems with change. If you are having all the problems at home because of the stress of school then I would emphasise this to your childs pead. M's wrote to the school and suggested they contact the AA teacher. After lots of moaning from me she finally referred him.

I also had the NAS send me lots of info on ASD in the classroom and handed it to his teacher , although I have to admit her knowledge and understanding of him only came after she attended a course.

Do not give up fighting. I realised that once i started bringing in outside agencies in such as CAMHS, behavioural support etc that she had to listen and act on what she said.

mum22boys

RQ,

Even some of the teachers who do have knowledge of autism are still reluctant to acknowledge difficulties and intervene. I am dealing with an HT/SENCo who has been provided with everything she needs to know from general descriptions to specific assessment reports on my boys, and she is still of the attitude that they are no different from anyone else and somehow, by osmosis they will be fine. She has no choice but to acknowledge their difficulties, but she seems to think that they will just magically go away if we ignore it long enough. I suppose technically she's right; because William has already left, and Luke only has another two years there, so from her perspective it will all go away!!!!

Lauren

My experience with M's school is just like Lauren says. After 2 years of putting information and evidence in front of their eyes, I have achieved very little more than the school's recognition that they cannot meet M's needs. Move your son to a better school, if you can find one, it's the best advice I can give.

Teacher's net also has good information for teachers on ASD. Try this link

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/sen/asds/

Good luck! >:D<<'>

Curra

Hi, your comment about how they behave at home? I think Tony Attwood refers to this in his book (plugging this alot :oops: ) How they hold together at school then release all the stress at home! He even gives stratagies to help. Will try and find the reference and get back to you.

Anna x

ok, found it! PG 39, Tony Attwood, sub heading "be aware of two characters" , the "jekyll and hyde" effect from the stress to conform at school and explains how the school can help alter this too!!!! ;)

Anna x

RQ,

The school sound like they are non inclusive and changing their attitude will be a long hard battle. From personal experience I would take your son out now and move him to a SEN friendly school. Telephone some local schools and find out about to see if there are any spaces available for September talk to the senco tell her your worries and concerns. Ask what experience and training they have had with ASD and how they could help your child.

Making the move now will be easier on your child. The schools which are non inclusive tend to end up exluding the child instead of dealing with your child difficulties. Remember your child is not happy where he is otherwise he would not be coming home and having meltdowns.

What do the ASD team say about your child and to the school. They do not have to have a diagnosis of ASD to see the ASD team just concerns.

Jen

we have had all that with our first dx asd son, now we are in process of "the fight " again with our second close to dx son. i think that unless you have an asd child no one can understand fully the implications on everyday life. like your example of your child needing things explained to him, lots of warning as asd children cant cope with change at all. a teacher would not have a clue about these difficulties. our school has an inset day based on asd and our two children, they still made pathetic comments and had no idea what asd was by the end of it. the only reason my two have made it so far in mainstream is the teachers they have had, have tried really hard,read up,tried different strategies that worked for them and communicated well with us,even readind about asd in assemblies ect. the head is ***** hasnt got the time of day for special needs but the staff do try generally.

we have recently had words with school as they are not meeting my youngests needs in any way. they say they are not aware of his needs until they get a dx. we thought a statement may be needed to find out those needs but were told we would be turned down as the school have to try certain measures first before you can get a statement.

it is a complete battle all the way, all we as parents want is for our children to be safe and happy and as parents we have to fight for it. it is quite wrong. the only advice i can give you is school is meant to meet your childs needs and if not they need to explain to you what they have done to help your childs needs be met.

you do not need a diagnosis to meet a childs needs. These needs should be assessed by the way the child learns, his behaviours, his strenghts and weaknesses, his difficulties.

This school is talking rubbish.

Jen