:( Oh why did I make N aged 6 with AS take part in sports day - I know why - I wanted him to fit in with everyone else and it didn't work. I lost my temper, he got distressed, the whole school and parents saw the performance and now I feel guilty and worried about how this will affect his last few days at school. He is still only allowed to attend half days and I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel - any advice. :crying:

Next Thursday is Sean's Sports Day. He's in Year 9 and for the first time we have made a conscious decision that he will not be going to school that day. The school have been informed and there is sense of relief all round. I realised a while ago that there's no point trying to please everyone at the expense of the things that are the most important in our lives.

I'm still learning that !

we miss sports day also the last day of term due to all the disruption. The school welcome this with open arms. Sometimes part of fitting in is acknowledging what you can not do and taking steps to miss it.

Jen

hi, Joe had sports day today-even though school try to make it more team orientated and not about winning, we had tears tonight. Said an older child got mad with him and said Joe "made them loose"

Bless him, I guess as he gets older he may not want to participate (is 10 )

Lisa xx

We've got our youngest dd's sports day on Thursday , shes 5 ASD and muscular dystrophy......she is SO excited, can't wait, wittering on and on about it......oh yup, she's gonna win she says. Never been to one at this primary, so hoping its not all about races and winning, because dd won't stand a chance, and will be so upset. :tearful: Will let you know how it goes...if it's an awful experience for her, will keep her off in future.

My son lost 2 of his 3 races, he came second from last on the last race ... but only because one of the other boys plimsolls fell off. He wasn't sad to have lost, he just felt sad because everyone had winners stickers and he didn't have one. He just didn't understand it all, and I could see him ticking away with the stress of it all ... luckily the teacher had him on her knee.

I had a couple of stray tears going on under my sunglasses. Stupid really because every race has to have a loser, and he was by no means the worst loser if you catch my drift.

I remember hating sports day as a child, I think I was probably last in most races ... it seems just to make the esteem of the good athletes even higher.

Still, I bigged him up and told him how proud I was .. and that he has special powers that the other kids don't have and to me he will always be a winner ... and he will.

Stephanie - thank god for sunglasses to hide behind!

We survived our sports day today.

DS2 succeeded in getting to the finishing tape, this time without his teacher running alongside (!!!) and seemed perfectly happy to get a certificate saying I Ran In A Race (last of course).

DS1 needed masses of cheering (can't cheer DS2 because he gets cross, likely to stop running), with me waving and jumping and clapping the other side of the finishing tape, and my arms to run straight into. Too bad if it's against the rules! he coped really well with all the noise element, too, and is now tucked up in bed, relieved it's all over.

Phew.