Gardenia

Age appropriate

My ds2 seems to have been playing with the same type of toys for the past 4 years. Toys which would seem more appropriate for a child who is in nursery. He is also the same with his books and T.V. shows. Although he can read quite fluently he still prefers much younger stories read to him.

I sometimes worry that he has reached his 'mental age' as he does not seem at all interested in moving on to older toys/dvds etc. It seems that playhouse disney has been a permanent fixture in our house, along with Thomas the Tank trains. Did anyone elses child display these types of fads.

Gardenia

Guest flutter

I battled with this for years in my head

and as soon as i got diagnosis i "went with the flow" and she is happy and learning at her pace, and playing that way too

intersting thing tho when talking bout this, how many men play on puter games, or ps games, ( how age and stage app is that :jester: )

Hi Gardenia,

Can't remember the exact age of my daughter (she's 13 now) - but I just remember that very often when she was younger - she stayed on the same 'obsessions' for quite a long time - and yes sometimes that was years and years. I think with my daughter is wasn't so much as 'age appropriate' but that it's routine/repetition etc.

Take care,

Jb

An ASC is a developmental delay, technically it is pervasive.

Because our children have differences of perception and strengths and weaknesses that often contribute to a very uneven profile of development they can be well ahead in some areas and way behind in others.

Play is the way we learn social communication skills best and so our children's level of play will likely be behind simply because their communication skills are behind and they still need to work at a less advanced developmental level in order to progress in a natural and comfortable way.

If we don't let them continue to learn at their own developmental level we risk them not getting enough experience at that level to allow them to move on in a useful way which will support their later development. If a child misses out on stages of development they develop serious deficits in later years as they don't have the base to progress from - it's a bit like expecting a child to understand subtraction before they understand what a number of things is, they just can't do it.

Com is chronologically 14, intellectually/academically he is about 18 but his level of play and his social and emotional development is around 6 - a very unbalanced profle. Com still plays with his brio train set, and oddly enough, when the adult AS group come round, they like to get it out with him :dance: (one of them even gets it out when he's not there to give her an excuse and nobody minds :clap::wub: )

I love to see Com playing like a 5 year old - he is so happy in that world :D

Z

my lil bat had problems with manipulating and working many baby toys due to cerebral palsy, now she can twist, pull etc (not all things still) so she is interested in these toys again. I think she needs to do these skills to move on in her development so am quite happy to buy toys she likes, that I think will benefit her even if they are aimed at younger children.

REEC E STIL WATCHES THING LIKE TELETUBBIES AND BUISY BUSESAND PLAYS WITH YOUNGER CHILDRENS TOYS BUT IT DOSNT BOTHER ME AS LONG AS HES HAPPY IS ALL THAT MATTERS :wub::wub:

I think what's important is maybe not whether toys are 'age appropriate' but whether they are 'developmentally appropriate' for each particular child, IYSWIM.

So long as a child is happy and enjoying his chosen toys, I think that's great! :thumbs:

Bid :)

Nathan is 16, he still has some of his baby rattles (he LOVES them) his trapdoor DVD that replaced his beloved Videos and he stil sneakily watches Cbebbies.

He once said it reminds him of being little safe and happy and when he is stressed he wants to be safe and happy.

I am just grateful he does not want to sit on my lap to watch them anymore!

Thomas lasted way past all the other children in G's class, I didn't mind (I like Thomas!) and he watched 'young' programmes longer than his peers.

Suddenly at 6 1/2 all was dumped and replaced by Star Wars and Boomarang + 1 (got to be +1!) - I much preferred Thomas and Cbeebies :D