Sign in to follow this  
jomum

Nursery reckon they're going to charge me for damage to door.

My son has been going to Nursery for over 2 years and the staff are only too aware of his impulsive nature. He only has two sessions left before Summer, then he will be starting school in September. He goes to an 'opportunity group' one session a week. The Nursery have been fully supportive of his differences and have assured me that they could look after him.

The staff at his nursery called me aside yesterday, waving a pice of rubber that my son had pulled from the door frame (the seal) ,and told me that they have let a lot of things go over the two years, but we'd be billed for this damage. I just raised my eyebrows, since I was not talking to the owner of the nursery. She had got her staff to do the dirty work for her.

Now, I believe that since they know his nature by now, that it is not unreasonable for me to refuse to pay for this damage, since we are paying them to have him in their care while he is there. It's not my fault he wasn't properly supervised.

Anyway, a rubber seal can be pushed back into the door frame.

What does anyone think about this? I don't want to leave on a bad note, but I feel strongly that I have been paying them for a service that they said they could live up to.

Roll on school!

Thanks. J x :dance:

part of running a business it repairing and replacing things that get damage. A drubber seal does not cost alot of money hence the nursery should pay for it.

Jen

I agree, wear and tear happens, especially where little kids are involved. If a nursery is pristine, it's not being used properly!!!

And what do they mean, 'they've let a lot of things go over the years'? Fine time to bring it up, now.

Stick to your guns, I say, and let them pick up the tab.

Lizzie

I think this is laughable!! I mean, are they actually saying that no child has ever broken any nursery property before, or do they present bills to parents for every broken toy or paint chip or paint stain! They're being ridiculous! I hope they come to their senses and don't make you feel uncomfortable about this, but I certainly wouldn't pay! :huh:

Good luck!

~ Mel ~

Hi J,

That's ridiculous - don't pay it!!! I work with pre-schoolers.... We'd never charge for things like that.

Ignore the silly moo! :P

Pulling rubber from a door frame is not the work of an instant - how long was he left unsupervised in order to do this? :huh: I'd be asking serious questions about this - don't let them bully you. :wacko:

K x

I'm with the others on this one..I'd be asking why my child wasn't being properly supervised. Lucky it was only a rubber seal he had unsupervised access to, could of been doing something that could of hurt HIM...heck, what's the cost of a door seal, surely the nursery has insurance to cover all breakages and damage :rolleyes:

Bagpuss has posted exactly what I was thinking !

If he had time to peel off the rubber strip from the door without anyone noticing, just think what else he could have done ? !!!

My son went into a side room and attempted to make tea whilst in nursery, thank god he couldn't reach the switch for the kettle.

In nursery (and school) things get damaged, do they bill every parent ?

I don't think so, I would refuse to pay, surely they must have insurance ? (am assuming this is a private nursery ?) Even if they don't, then the cost of repairing/replacing fixtures and fittings is allowable as a business expense.

You are paying for your child's nursery place, not the nursery's upkeep !

let us know how you get on,

wac

Hi J,

I would be far more concerned about the safety issue if I had anything to do with the nursery. All youngsters go through a mouthing stage and they should ensure that all fixtures and fittings cannot be peeled/removed or picked off by little fingers.

I worked in a creche for several years and we were constantly assessing safety issues. Your son or any other child could quite easily have swallowed this. They are totally in the wrong here. I would ask for a copy of their latest Ofsted report jsut to put the wind up them!!

Please dont let them bully you, they really are totally in the wrong.

Love Lorainex

Lorryw - that's what i was thinking too ... if the seal was correctly attached and regularly checked then surely it wouldn't be able to be pulled off :huh: - unless a child was left unsupervised for some considerable time .... :o

Thanks so much, everyone, for this. You have all confirmed exactly my thoughts. I will not let them bully me. Your support has given me the confidence to stick to my guns on this. Jo. xxx

... and if he'd strangled himself with the rubber strip, then they'd really have something to worry about. Jo x