Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

IEPs

I wrote to my son's secondary mainstream school, chasing up various things discussed in a meeting with her on 16th May, because nothing has happened.

I asked for copies of R's two past IEPs with outcomes filled in - got them the day ofter I sent in my letter . The outcomes are: "not achieved", blank, "no record can be found of review".

I stated that R's targets were still not written in his planner - set in April - written in the day after my letter (July).

His targets are:

1: complete all homework set to the best of your ability and hand it in to meet deadlines.

One action is "include sufficient detail to be able to complete the work" - when we have already discussed that R cannot write it down fast enough (before end of class or it is wiped off board), and TAs are supposed to check if he needs help.

Sources of help and support: none

2: Proof read written work before handing it in.

Sources of help and support: none

3:Research info on GCSE courses and make well informed option choices. (Choices don't need to be made til dec 07).

Sources of help and support: none.

I did not realise at the time that these were replacing his IEPs - all the children have targets, which they (and the teachers) tend to take little notice of. These will be reviewed twice yearly (instead of termly).

I asked for a copy of the SEN Policy - but apparently it is unavailable as it is being updated. The last one I had a copy of was last reviewed in 2002. I look forward to finding out who is supposed to be doing what. They don't have a SENCO - they have an Individual Needs Manager and an Individual Needs Teacher and another person.

She says all staff have been reminded of R's difficulties - not sure how this has been done or how they will remember.

She says "in the light of recent dfes guidelines it is now school policy not to provide an IEP for children other than those with a statement". Can anyone refer me to these guidelines, please? I know some schools have been using provision maps instead of IEPs, but I've not heard of schools doing nothing.

I can't see how I could apply for a statement for R, based on a few silly targets, which show no help has been given and whose outcome is not recorded - or is this the intention??

When I went to visit this school in 2004, prior to R starting, I was very impressed with the SEN, but in the past two years they have completely changed the SEN set up, and I find it hard to believe that what they are now doing is acceptable.

Karen

>>She says "in the light of recent dfes guidelines it is now school policy not to provide an IEP for children other than those with a statement". Can anyone refer me to these guidelines, please?

As there are no replies, do I presume no one has heard of this?

Karen

It's news to me.

No IEPs except for those on statements...hmm.

To get considered for a statement normally going through stages of support and intervention which involve School Action and then School Action + both of which, as far as I am aware, involve an IEP which set achivement targets for each child when these are not reached it moves the support up a level of support, the top level being a statement. No IEPs means no targets to meet...therefore no close record of achievement to base a statement request on...so how will anybody get a statement - this ARE still issued and ARE, as we know, still enforcable!

you need to call your LEA/LA and ask for this: Detailed Guidance Matrices For School Action and School Action Plus and Criteria for Statutory Assessment. It may be called something slightly different, but what it does is outline in GREAT DETAIL for each deficit what a school MUST do for each level. They differer from LA to LA. Also specify what key stage your child is at. That is the doctument the school MUST follow and your only real resource in proving that they are or are not doing what they should be doing. The LEA/LA MUST send it to you when you request - they will try to put you off. Most common excuse is - we are in the middle of rewriting it.

IN WHICH CASE... you ask for the old version as it is still valid until the new one is published!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same goes for the school - they are accountable for the old policy until the new one is published - if it is out of line with the SEN Code of Practice, then you can wave that in front of their face and insist they follow it as ALL local school policies MUST reflect/use the SCP as the base for it's own.

Dont let them put you off - that is what their sole aim is - to make you go away.

Phasmid - that's exactly what I thought re:statements. So far my son has 4 IEPs, all of which have no outcomes recorded (and I have tried hard to get it sorted!).

Nvapid - I guessed that was the case re: the SEN Policy.

Thanks for the Guidance reference - that's what I need.

I will be following this up. I don't think they are trying to put me off (yet - lol!) - I just think they do not have a clue what they are doing. There have been so many changes in the SEN Provision, and apparently little monitoring by the SEN Governor.

My son has been doing a lot better this year - but he now has a new tutor, and they are moving tutor rooms in Sept, they are moving the SEN Unit and he now says they are changing all the groupings for subjects - so I can't see things going well in September!

Karen

Karen. My ds is in yr7 and statemented. His 'I.E.P.' is a lot different to the one he had in primary school :wacko: He has had targets such as to complete homework, which really :angry: me, as it is probably one he will never achieve. This is something I am planning to sort out at the beginning of Sept. Sounds like your son's school is going through some big changes, but that no exscuse. Funny what Senco's are now calling themselves, at my dd's school she is now the access and inclusion coordinator :)