Sign in to follow this  
PinkSapphireAngel

Luke's last day of Primary school ever

Well today Luke leaves primary school and without a statement or a secondary school I will home schooling him myself in September!

Its horrible in the playground with all the children and mums so excited about secondary school :crying:

Very best of luck to you with the home schooling. We felt we had no choice but to home school our J for two years. I was terrified and dreading it, but once we'd gotten into the swing of it it turned out to be the best thing ever, I ended up wishing we'd done it years before. Honestly, once you get into a pattern and find your own ways of working you'll be amazed at how much progress you and Luke will make! >:D<<'>

Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Thank you, I am pretty terrified of doing it tbh (but have not let on about how I feel to anyone)

I know it is probably going to be great for Luke as primary school has been so hard for him in every way but its just not the way I had hoped to have to go.

Thank you, I am pretty terrified of doing it tbh (but have not let on about how I feel to anyone)

I know it is probably going to be great for Luke as primary school has been so hard for him in every way but its just not the way I had hoped to have to go.

Yes, I totally understand. Primary was a nightmare for my J, we were all climbing the walls. The last year they tried him part-time but it still didn't help, we really felt forced into HE as no-one was offering any alternative, sounds like you're the same. :huh:

It took us over a year to make the decision to HE (mostly due to my fear), and everyone we talked to about it told us it's the actual decision to do it which is the hardest thing, once you actually start 'doing' it things fall into place. Well, the first few months were difficult and I was scared that it wasn't going to work, but once we'd gotten into our stride it got so much better.

Have you got any plans of how you are going to work together, or are you just going to play it by ear and have a rest first? I totally understand as well about how it feels to walk away from the playground from all the excited mums and feeling so isolated.

Take care >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Luke is pretty keen to have a structured day so he knows exactly how long we will be working on each subject and how many breaks etc so it will have to have some sort of schedule I guess.

During the holidays I am going to look up the various websites and look into workbooks in the shops (I ave seen various ones in WHSmiths.

Do you use these methods?

Luke is pretty keen to have a structured day so he knows exactly how long we will be working on each subject and how many breaks etc so it will have to have some sort of schedule I guess.

During the holidays I am going to look up the various websites and look into workbooks in the shops (I ave seen various ones in WHSmiths.

Do you use these methods?

That's great, sounds like you have it all planned out really well. I went in totally blind and made a right dog's dinner of it at first!! :D

My lad is now in an ASD secondary unit attached to mainstream school. He's been there for a year, but there's a big part of me that regrets sending him there. Ah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The emphasis when he came out of school was simply learning to sit and write, because he was nine and wouldn't even write two words and when he did it was like a five year olds writing and he'd scream and cry like crazy, so I was working from scratch really. For maths I did use workbooks from WHSmiths and they were really good, they'll cover everything you need. Luke sounds really motivated and that's a really good start! :D

Have you thought about joining a local HE group? They're not for everyone but they can offer interesting outings and give you a chance to meet up with other HE families, you're bound to find some of them are AS as well!

~ Mel ~

WE have home educated our 11 yeard old AS son for 18 months now due to him developing school phobia. Our way of life has improved so much in this time and our son is a different child Good luck for September and if you haven't already have a look at education otherwise as there is lots of advice on there.

www.education-otherwise.org.uk

We are members and we also subscribe to learn premium through them as it's so much cheaper. If you wish to follow a formal curriculum it has a lot of lessons for secondary school age.

Good Luck

Denise 2

Well he DID go to the assembly in the end.

He came out of school with some names written on his shirt, mainly the little Year 3 children.

He went in the limo ride but that really brought it home to me how much of an outsider he is at that school even after all thesse years.

The other children were all standing together taking photos of each other and Luke wanted to stand with me and the other children never even noticed he was not with them.

Luke wanted to stand with me and the other children never even noticed he was not with them.

Oh PSP :( that's so sad. On the plus side tho, I think it MAY be that it's sad for you, but not necessarily sad for Luke. I think the key bit here is that "Luke wanted to stand with me" so although you felt sad that he wasn't mixing with the others, p'raps Luke was actually much happier with you?

It is hard tho isn't it? As The Boy gets older I am starting to notice more now the gap between him and his peers & the kids on the street do sort of play with him but they'll all run off at a certain cue and he doesn't notice until they've gone. Then again, he doesn't seem bothered & just carries on doing what he's doing.

PSP,

It sounds hard, but HE seems to be the best thing to do for your lad. Your posting reminds me of my DS's final day at primary, he also got a few signatures on his shirt but didn't join any groups for taking pictures. He wanted to come back home asap. There were no invitations for him during the hols. For him getting a statement (which he hasn't got yet, but he's being assessed) has been on the much harder path, going to secondary mainstream with school action (which meant NO action) and having a breakdown in year 8. Only then, the LEA accepted to assess him.

Good luck! >:D<<'>

Curra

PSP >:D<<'>

The day I walked out of the school yard for ever I felt elated and liberated for us as a family and especially for my son. But then home ed was my choice - well not really as we could not get a statement either and my son was falling apart. Having already seen one son have a massive breakdown just 6 weeks into Comprehensive Education I knew that I was doing the right thing.

To begin with Matthew wanted a very structured environment but I have now come to the conclusion that for some of our children structure is the only way that they can cope in their learning environment when that is a school. Within a few weeks when the pressure was off and he relaxed we were for the first time able to get up and do what we wanted to do on that day :dance: Matthew is much more flexible than he was while at school. Of course the need for structure is still there when he is stressed but on the whole it's gone.

Many parents who de-reg also allow their child a period of un-schooling to wind down, especially if they have had a rough ride through the system. I am not as active here as I used to be because of my local committments so I do not know if anyone has pointed you in the direction of this list

http://www.he-special.org.uk/ which is especially for parents who have children with SEN and decided to home educate.

Oracle