kerrybobs

update for embarrasing situation

Hiya,

I thought I would give you an update to my previous post regarding my daughter Robyn.

I had a visit from cahms. They have been in touch with social services and had a meeting with them.

They have decided that it could well be a sensory issue regarding Poo. Apparently as one of the posts I received last time indicated that some AS people do seem to like the smell and texture. Cahms seem to believe this is the reason for Robyn behaving the way she has been.

Also they have said they dont think what she did to her sister was sexual and that it was a case of Robyn checking to see if her baby sister had any poo in her bum. As being still in nappies she often has a pooie nappy.

They are starting next week with one to one work with Robyn and we have been advised that supervision has to be in place. Which obviously we are being extra careful for her not to be left alone for any amount of time with the baby. I received funding for 2 days a week at a holiday club for her and she seems to be enjoying it. Its also giving her older sister a break from her, and all the fighting.

She is still wiping poo everywhere and I am still putting a cloth and disinfectant in her hand and making her clean it, yet she continues to do it.

I just hope she will stop doing it. And also that these sessions will make her understand that it is not right.

Once again thanks for your replys to my last post.

Take Care

Kerry

Pleased you're getting some help for this.

Perserverance stopped my lad doing it, (About 10 MONTHS worth on a daily basis with frequent lapses). He has stopped 'though, albeit he does still handle it in the toilet, as he took to washing his hands with a venegeance (Something he didn't used to do !), and the towels are stained. At least it is confined to one manageable area now, alebit the battles still go on, he can revert any time to previous behaviours we thought 'cured' as we found out. You just don't ever assume that's stopped that, it doesn't work that way...

He now enjoys swearing at the top of his voice to all and sundry, this is a real biggie as we do not have understanding neighbours, who have reported him a number of times to police, this is very hard to get under control too, as they report him even in his own garden doing it. Explaining his issue was wasted time, they adopted zero tolerance, something that is simply not attainable with an autistic, we need space to tackle this issue and our neighbours won't give us that time or space.

I read of one autistic child given an ASBO, for swearing it is quite a worry. If our neighbour tried to engage our child except shout at him, I feel he would stop a lot of it, he seems to now enjoy the 'rows' over his swearing making it worse, he seeks the neighbour out now !

Pleased to hear you are getting help with this, and most of all Robyn is. Hope things improve soon and great news about the play scheme :thumbs:

If your daughter likes the texture is there not another material you can use to replace it. Maybe your could use soft bananas. Or there is a childrens toy which has tiny beards in and you can use it to shape and decorate things it is call floam this is advised on TV and is available in toy shops.

The other thing you could do it take your child to a shop which has lots of different cushions and materials and let your child feel them, see what she prefers and buy some.

The pleasures of ASD children with sensory problems

Jen