baileyj

Loosing Teeth

Hi everyone,

My Max is 5, and I'm noticing other children of his age are starting to loose their baby teeth.

OMG how am I going to explain that in a way that doesnt scare him, and make it seem like a good thing?

His communication is basic, he understands quite alot if I use simple words and sentances. He can read like an 8 year old, so perhaps a story?

How did any of you explain it and handle it, any ideas appreciated. Did you use the tooth fairy?

Jo

The Tooth Fairy!! You can buy books about what happens, some of them have a little pouch or box for putting the tooth in for the tooth fairy to find.

Most books shops will have something like that in, or amazon will.

Flo'

NOTICED REECE HAD 2 WOBBLY TEETH 2 WEEKS AGO. AND EXPLAINED THE TOOTH FAIRY TAKE HIS TEETH THAT FALL OUT AND LEAVE HIM A POUND AND HE SEEMED HAPPY WITH THAT, THE ONLY THING IS ABOUT A WEEK AGO HE BIT ME ON THE ARM AND AS I PULLED AWAY FROM HIM HIS TOOTH CAME OUT SO HE WASNT HAPPY WITH THE BLOOD. BUT WAS FINE ABOUT AN HR LATTER AND NOW TELLS EVERYONE HE GOT POUND 4 IT. AND HE BRUSHES THE GAP WHEN HE DOES HIS TEETH :wub:

Ben had two tooth pouches - a little 'sewn' one somebody gave him and a gold foil one i made... One was for the tooth fairy and one was for the poo fairy (who is a tooth-fairy-in-training who has the VERY IMPORTANT job of collecting those occassional teeth that get accidentally swallowed during sleep and need to be rounded up a couple of days later!) As well as a pound per tooth (inflation, I'm afraid!) they also leave teeny tiny little thankyou notes that can only be read backwards in a mirror because they are MAGIC!!!

I got so caught up in it all I got the pliers out and started pulling my own!!! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

Agree with the tooth fairy!

G lost both bottom teeth a few month ago and getting ?1 cheered him up no end (although I almost forgot with the second one and had to sneak it under first thing in the morning - thankfully he wasn't up at 5am that day!)

Like the above poster - G opened a packet with his teeth and the tooth got stuck at a right angle to the rest - lots of blood and he was hysterical as it wouldn't go back in position. Luckily it dropped out later that evening.

There are a few books about and maybe his own social story about his teeth and how they might drop out. Maybe mention that A, B and C in his class have had teeth drop out and got money from the tooth fairy so it's more 'real' and personal?

I made a big deal about how his new teeth are grown-up teeth, what a big boy he is and how exciting the whole event is.

My dh got all cross with me when I didn't mention in the letter that the tooth fairy uses the teeth to build her castle - blimey, who comes up with this stuff?!

Now that J has two new teeth growing, I can see that orthodentist fairy will be paying a visit one day.

Eva

A POUND!!! I used to get 20p, and nothing for swallowed teeth.

It was a shiny sixpence in my day, but then I'm very, very old.

Karen

x

My ASD son was 6 when he lost his first baby tooth. He was scared, so much so he didn't want it to come out, did everything possible to keep it and the big one was nearly completely through before we eventually talked him into letting us help it out.

When he got money for the tooth afterwards he started trying to take the ones that were not loose out :blink: Also pulled his brothers out which was only a little loose and tried to keep it to put it under his pillow. I forgot how spurred on he is by money :huh:

Interesting - my son lost his first tooth on Saturday.

I had noticed a new one coming through the gum underneath and that his two front bottom teeth were wobbly (he hadn't noticed).

Then on Saturday we were playing on the beach and I noticed he looked different so I said "oh my god, you've lost your first tooth" and he said "yeah I know, I spat it out in that shop we just went to". He hadn't even thought of telling me, like it was nothing ... and I was worrying terribly about how he would cope ... with the sensory stuff and all the changes etc.

So I guess I am saying, I wasted a lot of worry ... it might be fine.

He doesn't seem to know or care that the other tooth is wobbly and will fall out within the next week or so ... most kids would be there wobbling it trying to get it out.

I have told him he has to hang on to it next time (I want to keep them) if he wants the tooth fairy to call.

My Dad used to do the old string on the tooth and slam the door technique - nightmare memories!

Just going back to this thread and hijacking it a bit.

My son has lost one tooth, it fell out in a shop and he didn't tell us. Now there is another well wobbly one, ready to come out but he doesn't feel it, he doesn't wobble it, he doesn't seem to be bothered about it falling out, fairies, etc etc.

I try to wobble or grab it but he is being resistent.

He is my eldest, so I have little experience ... will the tooth just fall out on its own or do I need to persevere in getting it out?? I am worried I am going to traumatise him the way my Dad did with me using the string on the door technique. I obviously wouldnt do that!

Thanks everyone for your replying, its really helped. Ive gone for the tooth fairy angle, saying its cus he is going to get "big boy" teeth, and the tooth fairy will bring a ?1 in a special packet. He just sort of looked at me oddly and that was about it. As he never forgets anything, hopefully it will be OK.

Will let you all know when the big event happens.

Jo