Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

Im so indecisive

I am about to put my name on a list for a new puppy(I think). As usual I have thought about about all the cons and non of the pros. Will my son like it, will it settle quickly, training etc etc. Ive even started worrying that it may electrocute itself on the Christmas tree lights!! My husband has left the final decision up to me and says I overthink everything. It has suddenly dawned on me that he is quite right, I think things to death and then sit frozen in indecision never knowing which way to jump.

Am I the only one and how can I stop?

Lorainexx

Hi

We have a bullmastive girl she is brilliant with the children we got her as a pup and it was hard to train her at first just going to the loo!! She still isnt that well trained with visitors jumps all over them!!!

I think as long as you have a good home for a pet why not? They are a lot of responsbiliy but so are kids!! My asd son was 2 when we got her and ive had two more children since she is very gentle with them. The only fault she has is she is protective but people say thats good anyway. i think it nice to have a family dog. Good luck.

Brooke

I think pets benefit the kids definitely. We have two cats, a dog and a big tank of fish and Logan is fascinated by them all. We had the kids first too which helps as the animals didn't know any different and are unbelievably tolerant of the kids.

Our last dog we had prior to my having Leona and he didn't really adjust well at all - he did to her as a baby but not once she reached toddler age. We sadly had to have him put to sleep through ill health when I was 39 weeks pg with Logan. Thats the only downside of pets.

Re overthinking - yes I do it all the time !!

Lynne x

What about starting with something smaller? Guinea pigs? Rabbits?

Just thougth it might be a bit of a big thing if you find out that you've made a mistake in 6 months time

Edited by TheNeil

I tend to have the opposite of your problem, I tend to jump in with both feet having not really considered the cons, I think its hard to get a balance sometimes when weighing things up

as for the dog, I have three but only had the little fella from a pup, I wont say they are trouble free but I would say they certainly add more to our lives than they detract from them and I wouldnt have it any other way

Oh Lorraine, I'm right with you on this one :D I think too deeply about everything :unsure: Then I make a decision...........then will change it.........then will go back to orignal decision.........then change it again. I can honestly say I've lost count of the number of holidays we have booked, then cancelled , then rebooked at different location, then cancelled, then rebooked :wacko::wacko: . Even worse with pets.......had a few dogs over the years, but have ended up finding them new good homes because i couldn't cope with mess, whining, chewing, pooing, etc etc :sick: . Now I stick to hamsters and a goldfish, and so far so good :D Good luck with the puppy...........and hope your Xmas lights stay shining all thru Xmas and New Year >:D<<'>

One thing I'd say about getting a puppy; If you're having reservations then don't do it! They really are hard work. I have 3 children and then in 2003 we got a puppy, then in 2005 we got another puppy. It's really and trully like having two very dirty toddlers. They are a massive commitment on your time and your purse. So if you're having second thoughts, leave getting one until you're sure. There's always puppies to be had at a later date.

Flora :D

our friends went to the dog home and aked for medium sized dog of good character. The staff at the dogs home advised them of a dog with a good tempement. We are dog sitting at the moment and he is a fantastic dog.

Because he is older, you miss all the mess and chewed furniture and you know how the dog is going to turn out.

Jen

Thanks for all the good advice.

I took a deep breath and added my name to the list. Our little beagle died in February and this is the first time for almost 30 years that we havent had a dog or cat.

Looking forward to the patter of little paws!

Love Lorainexx