Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

TRANSPORT TO SCHOOL

Has anyone gone throw the procedures for Transport to school, I would like some help and wanted to know if anyone gets this.

JsMum

If your children go to a Special School or other school named on a statement that is not the childs local school than they should get help with transport to school. In our area this is usually a minibus or a taxi.

If there is no statement you may need to argue the case individually,but I don't think you have a right to transport over and above the rights of any child who lives more than 2 miles from their local school.

Simon

Has anyone gone throw the procedures for Transport to school, I would like some help and wanted to know if anyone gets this.

JsMum

Good luck! I'm just starting out on a battle to get transport. My son is in a ASD unit and I currently do nearly two and a half hours of driving a day. They said we weren't elegible for transport, but I'm at breaking point.

Take care.

~ Mel ~

They told me my son wasn't eligible either but after a long hard fight, it is now written in his statement and they HAVE to provide. I suppose it helped that the busdriver started refusing to take him, he ran away off the bus at one point as well and generally created more trouble than the driver thought was his due. This probably helped in getting him a taxi.

They told me my son wasn't eligible either but after a long hard fight, it is now written in his statement and they HAVE to provide. I suppose it helped that the busdriver started refusing to take him, he ran away off the bus at one point as well and generally created more trouble than the driver thought was his due. This probably helped in getting him a taxi.

I've written to my LEA today to tell them I am no longer able to transport him to and from school and he will require transport there from January and that I will continue to collect him, and that I have been told by staff at his Unit that this is my right. I'll await with interest their reply! :blink:

~ Mel ~

whilst not wanting to appear an expert or lead you in anyway perhaps you could, if you feel you would like to, contact the lea and ask for their sen specific transport policy which is mentioned as good practise in the dfes guides

I would be inclined to find out the SEN transport policy from the LEA you come under to find out. My son is still in mainstream so haven't hit that hurdle yet but have friends who have.

Our youngest dd goes on school transport. We had no hassles sorting it. Luckily we were all in agreement which school and class our dd should attend and it was very straightforward, with the transport sorted for us and put in statement.