Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Difficult decision....

Hi :(

Bad news at the vets - my dog has tumors :( Not sure if they are cancerous or not.

Here she is.... :D:wub: She's gorgeous!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/smilwymab1/img057.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/smi...b1/100_0641.jpg

She's 12/13 (I'm not sure, she's a rescue dog), she's very happy with her lot, it's not causing her any pain.

I need to decide if i should go ahead with surgery to see if it's cancerous (in any case - not much they can do...). Vet/i'm worried about surgery on an old dog - and she's so happy at the moment... Chances are she could go on for another few years perfectly happily.. But i'll feel bad if i don't ahead with the surgery. :(

Ho hum. Anyone else been through this with a pet?

Hi Smiley,

She is lovely, my dog looks like her but with alsatian markings.

We used to have a staffordshire terrier (type) Who developed ovarian cysts, she must have had them for years, she just looked fat to us tho. At 10 year old they were discovered because she was so tired and inactive and poorly. We had choice of an op or put her to sleep. We chose the op, she made a full recovery and was as active as a puppy for a good few years afterwards. We were over the moon with her new lease of life. She eventually got cancer which couldnt be operated on because she was about 14, she died at 15. We were glad we had got her op at 10 tho cos we had another 5 years with her.

I know its a difficult decision, I know but I think I would go for the surgery, they may be able to remove the tumours then she's got as better chance of an even longer healthy life. Of course, thaats just my thoughts, your vet will know best - I doubt he'd be willing to perform the op if there was a big risk.

Good luck with the decision, they are such a special part of the family arent they :wub:

SV

>:D<<'> smiley, it,s really difficult making decisions like this, I,d listen to your vet , and your heart >:D.Your doggy is lovely :wub: .Suzex

Smiley, >:D<<'>

I'm so sorry, I know how much she means to you.

If I'm honest I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes, I love my dog so much I would probably do everything to keep him alive. My 15 year old cat took ill, it turned out to be cancer and we had him put down, but his quality of life was very poor, so it wasn't a difficult decision.

Like Suze, I would probably be guided by what the vet said.

Good luck.

Nellie xx >:D<<'>

Hi Suze,

We had the same experience with our dog when she was 11. We had the cancerous tumour removed but were told that the cancer would return. She had a good three trouble free before it came back.

I would opt for the surgery, shes a lovely dog.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Love Lorainexx

Lovely gorgeous dog >:D<<'>

Everyone who loves dogs would want the best. But what is the 'best' is very subjective.

I'd be more for the case of leaving well alone and enjoying what's left of their life. But then again I've had a bad experience of medical intervention with our 'disabled' puppy.

You do what ever you and your vet think is right for your dog now.

Hope all goes well whatever decision you make.

Flora >:D<<'> :D

I have just got my kids a westie pup and I could not make the decission you are faced with, its so hard its like having another member of the family!!!

I do hope you dog is ok!! All the best

Such a hard decision. Haven't been there myself but know many who have, with my Dad's dog countless surgery was done and he just kept getting worse, a year and �4600 later he had to be put to sleep, but many others success stories like those mentioned. I suppose with your dog she's a fair age and you'd have to discuss with the vets the risks of surgery with age etc. Don't envy you making this choice >:D<<'>

Hi Smiley,

Lovely dog, so intelligent looking. :wub:

I haven't had to make a decision like this: it's a difficult one when the animal isn't suffering any discomfort at the moment. I would want to ask the vet what exactly the benefit of surgery would be, before making the decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

K x

Hi Smiley,

She looks very much like a dog that grew up with me named Shep he was lovely :wub: and lived till he was 16.

I am however in the same shoes at you are at the moment but with my little piggy Chocolate

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/or...im/IMGA2205.jpg

He has a lump which you can see in his pic and it has turned out to be an abcess that burst three weeks ago now. It stinks and some but it's not hurting him and the chances are it wont. It appears that piggies and rabbits can live with these things for sometime - so long as you can stand the smell :sick: Terry and I are having to clean it out three times each day :sick::sick::sick: which neither of us wants to do but how can you put a little creature to sleep just because he stinks.

This is in part why we have added another two little pigs to our family just in case. It's not easy is it :unsure:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/or...aim/Pepper4.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/or...1aim/Honey2.jpg

Oracle

Edited by oracle

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks for all your replies. >:D<<'> Your all lovely :wub:

I still can't decide.

She's well now - so it may be worth waiting to see if they grow, and then operate... But equally, it may be worth operating now.....to prevent them from growing.. but it could have spread much further than we think....

Then i think ......... they 'might' not be cancerous, and it could be a painful (right across belly :( ) op, which will take months to recover from..

:tearful: Gawd, what a decision. Part of me is guided by the family dogs we had as i was growng up. Some we tried to help, and ended up making things worse for them. We wished we had left well alone.....

Took her out for a walk today - she was bouncing about and happy as can be. :D

K - Intellegent she ain't :lol::lol: The reason she was a rescue dog, was because she was brought as a working dog - and was scared of sheep!! :blink::lol:

She is lovely though, and very well trained - i never need to have her on a lead......

:wallbash: Blimey. :( This is yukky. :(

PS - Oracle - lovely piggies :wub:

Edited by smiley

I would say if she's happy don't operate.

I know it's no comparison but my brother-in-law's hamster has had tumours for years and they were advised to leave well alone. We call him the undead hamster because he's about 4 years old and still going strong!

Daisy x

That sux :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

when Zeus was run over & i thought he was going to lose his leg i was given this link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/bonecancerdogs/

its a yahoo group and they all have dogs with bone cancer. Even though Zeus didnt have cancer they have to cope with a lot of amputations & they kept me going a lot in the beginning stopped me giving up.

Not sure where the cancer is in your dog but they will be able to give you advice that is way over my knowledge.......they are really supportive :)

Might be worth joining up & asking them or some advice, theyve all been where you are in one way or another :wacko:

hope she gets through oki

its amazing how much it messes you up when ur animal isnt well :tearful:

ps....i added you to msn ;)