Helen

Parental Representations

The 1996 Act and the associated Code of Practice stress that the statutory assessment of a child's special educational needs should be undertaken with the parents as partners who have a positive contribution to make. In order to be fully involved, it is important to make your views and ideas clear to the other people concerned with the assessment. You know the most about your child and your information and views are of vital importance.

Try to compile your 'Parental Representations' before you request a statutory assessment. This will provide you with more time to gather your thoughts - there will always be something that you've forgotten about, perhaps someone posting something on this site may trigger something in your memory about a personal issue?

The early years.

*What do you remember about the early years that might help?

*What was s/he like as a young baby?

*Were you happy with his/her progress?

*When did you first feel that things were not right?

*Did you receive any help or advice at this time?

What is your child like now?

*General health. Eating and sleeping habits, minor ailments, any regular medicine, special diet.

*Physical skills. Crawling, climbing stairs, jigsaws, drawing and other activities.

*Self help.Dressing, feeding, wiping nose, combing hair, washing, any problems managing personal hygiene, tying shoe laces, buttoning shirts/blouses and cuffs, preparing a school tie and general organisational skills at home - remembering to put the top back on the pop bottle, turning the taps off, closing the fridge/freezer door etc - after the event.

*Communication.Pointing, copying sounds, using words/phrases, starting conversations, telling the time, describing events.

*Playing and learning at home.Favourite toys and things to do, sharing, stories, watching t.v.

*Activities outside the home.Attendance at playgroup or school, coping with separation from you.

*Relationships.With yourself and the rest of the family, other adults, is s/he a 'loner'?

*Behaviour at home.Co-operation, helping in the house, good and bad moods, fitting in with routine.

*General situation at school.Relationships with school friends and staff, progress in various subjects, does s/he enjoy school? What does s/he like or dislike?

Your general views

*How does s/he compare with others of the same age?

*What does s/he enjoy doing and what is s/he good at?

*Has s/he any worries and is s/he aware of any difficulties?

*What are your concerns and worries?

*What do you think his/her special needs are?

*How do you think these needs can be provided for?

*What do you think are the family's needs and your needs?

Other points that a parent can include in their parental representations

* all formal diagnostic reports.

* copies of extracts from the child's school planner - poor organisational skills in writing and recording information.

* copies of any homework, school work that shows the child is experiencing difficulty - maths, spelling test results, a story writing exercise, a comprehension task - untidy/awful handwriting.

* old school reports which states the child's weakness in certain subjects.

* a signed written statement from a swimming instructor/horse riding instructor/ski instructor/ cricket coach or any other relevant professional who is involved with your child in relation to an outside school activity - lack of co-ordination, kicking a football, catching a ball, running in a race etc.

This is a rough guide to what you could include when writing your child's profile. When making initial notes put down everything including what you would like to see for your child at the end of the assessment. Your report will be circulated to everyone involved. They may not agree with you but at least it will put you on a firm footing for further discussion. If you have difficulty in writing your views, contact your Named LEA Officer and ask if arrangements can be made for someone to write down your views and information.

Some LEA's will have printed guidelines for parents, if it's possible, ask for a copy of these guidelines before you request your statutory assessment.

Edited by Helen

Hello all,

A parent ought to be careful what they write in their parental representations.

A parent may mention in their representations their constructive view on how genuinely supportive the school has been, yet the school still hasn?t been able to meet the child?s needs etc, hence a referral for a statutory assessment. This type of positive feedback from the parent could strengthen their position.

Then there are occasions when the parent doesn?t have any trust or confidence in the headteacher and the parent could find it a little tempting to write about the headteacher?s shortcomings/ those of his staff members and ?how the school failed the child?. This could further lead to the parent writing ?personal remarks? ? I would strongly urge against this particular form of criticism. If the parent doesn?t get on with the headteacher, then it would be better to avoid mentioning him/her altogether, especially if the parent wants their child to remain at the school.

The reason for this is because when the parent submits their representations to the LEA, once the LEA has made its decision on whether or not to provide the child with a statement, the LEA will distribute all submitted reports/documentation to the parent and the relevant departments ? which also includes the child?s school.

Helen

Edited by Helen

Then there are occasions when the parent doesn?t have any trust or confidence in the headteacher and the parent could find it a little tempting to write about the headteacher?s shortcomings/ those of his staff members and ?how the school failed the child?. This could further lead to the parent writing ?personal remarks? ? I would strongly urge against this particular form of criticism. If the parent doesn?t get on with the headteacher, then it would be better to avoid mentioning him/her altogether, especially if the parent wants their child to remain at the school.

Another reason why the parent shouldn't make any personal criticisms in their representations about the headteacher or the school is because the parent may have to go to tribunal at a later date - an LEA officer and also the school's representative would be present in the tribunal. In such cases, the school's representative would normally be the Headteacher (or possibly the Senco).

I wonder who the headteacher would side with, in this type of situation? The parent or the LEA???? ;)

Sorry for the cynical comment, Helen

I am new to this, and have only just asked for an assesssment of special needs. Well no, not just asked, but just managed to get asknowledged...

Anyway, I don't quite understand all this regarding the parental representation. From what I read here and via Section 8 (useful link, thanks Nellie) it seems to be more of a general picture of the child from birth to now, but it does not seem to cover the actual needs that the child has in school and why they need this statement and extra help. Or am I reading this wrong? :wacko:

It would be really useful if I could read an actual parental representation so I could get a clear picture of how it is supposed to be done. When I struggled with the DLA form I was send several copies of the information that people had put in and it gave me a brilliant starting point and ideas as to how to write it. :clap:

Would anyone be willing to share their parental representation with me?

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

Hi, Mother-in-Need

Take a look at National Autistic Society guidance. It tells you the evidence that the LEA are looking for:

In considering whether a statutory assessment is necessary LEAs will seek:

*Evidence that the school has responded appropriately to the requirements of the national curriculum

*Evidence provided by the child's school, parents and other professions where they have been involved with the child, as to the nature, extent and cause of the child's learning difficulties

*Evidence of the rate and style of the child's progress

*Evidence that where some progress has been made it has only been the result of much additional effort

As well as evidence of attainment the LEA should also seek evidence of any other identifiable factors that could impact on learning outcomes including:

*Evidence of clumsiness, significant difficulties of sequencing, deficiencies of working memory or delays in language

*Evidence of impaired social interaction or communication or a significantly restricted repertoire of activities, interests and imaginative development

*Evidence of significant emotional or behavioural difficulties Evidence of clumsiness, significant difficulties of sequencing, deficiencies of working memory or delays in language

*Evidence of impaired social interaction or communication or a significantly restricted repertoire of activities, interests and imaginative development

*Evidence of significant emotional or behavioural difficulties

Use this as your guide as to what further evidence to submit. We included copies of reports from professionals, our notes of meetings etc. The statement will detail the extra resources that the LEA will give the school in order to support them in meeting your child's needs. Make sure that they have no excuse for not fully understanding the extent or nature of the needs or any professional's recognition of them.

I don't think I should share our parental advice 'cos it was a bit specific but note that they are looking for 'evidence'. Your advice is 'evidence' but if there is any supporting correspondence or hard example then it can only help - especially if there are differences in opinion around. Similarly there may well be strategies used now or in the past, at home or at school, that work. Make sure you refer to these so they can build on the successes. Get someone outside your son/daughter's immediate circle to help you or to review the text of your evidence. Parent Partnership should help (contact via the LEA) or maybe there is a local Aspergers club?

Thank you Gavona, and welcome to this wonderful forum! I think this place is the only reason I'm still sane (oh well, somewhat sane I should have said) :lol:

By now, several other people have sent me their representations (THANKS) and parent partnership has indeed helped as well, though initially adviced me to write about 2 pages worth.......well, after all those brilliant examples I'm afraid that mine became a total of 90 pages :P including my own report and lots of other reports including those of 'the experts', letters, emails, whatever else could help me make those points. :devil:

LEAs deadline to respond and let me know whether they are rejecting or accepting is on Tuesday, so am getting a little nervous here.... :unsure:

Hi MINeed, my parental representation was 9 pages long, plus many attachments in the form of reports gathered from professionals independently. I will keep fingers crossed for Tuesday for you, we're waiting to here as well but not until later in the week.

Good luck, hang in there and remember we are here to share the burden.

HHxx

Yessssssssssssssssss!

'believe that a statutory assessemnt is necessary as D may have special needs requiring support additional to that generally available in school'

We're on to Stage Two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

hi,mother in need ,

Really glad for you, it feels great doesn't it ! My sons statement came through a few weeks ago after being turned down the first time. It's also come at the same time as his diagnosis(aspergers). So this is all a steep learning curve :wacko:

Let me know how your getting on will be really helpful to share info >:D<<'>

we're on Satge 2 too, only got a few weeks to submit our report.

just struggling with writing parental representation - any tips appreciated, would anyone be kind enough to let us see their parental report? (I can't get the link to NAS advise page to work )

I am finding it hard to make is succint, and present our son's case effectively. What we've done so far is disorganised, repetative and overlong. I am concerned that unless it's snappy they won't take notice. We're applying for place at Special secondary school

L has never attended school, we've asked a friend and ex-teacher to write a report as our evidence is rather thin on the ground. it's just our word, but thankfully the LEA ed psych's assessment is fair. The GP has said she'd write a letter, but would need pointers - once again any tips one what to ask her to comment on?

it's a lot to get together as well cope with day to day needs of our kids, never mind have a life ! The eldest is having a college crisis, refusing to go. Erk- more education authority figures to cope with :tearful:

TIA

-

Katya

Hi I have a couple of hints.Make certain that any professionals who have seen your child provide information.It sounds obvious but others here have found out too late that the LEA missed asking people who would have provided information.If your child does any activities during the week Eg clubs,sports activities then ask any leaders who are knowledgable to write a report for you.We basicaly looked at every aspect of Ben's life.We made a note of anything we do differently due to his needs.Eg at the cinema he will talk loud ,at the supermarket he can become anxious due to noise and activity around him,at Taekwondo the teacher spends extra time offering support.

Yes it is a lot of work and stressful.However just stick with it it is just for a time.Once the information is in things calm down for a while.Another thought if you have not contacted parent partnership give them a call.They went through our information with us.Karen

many thanks Ultramum.

thanks for the hints Karen A. We've almost broken the back of the beast, just a matter of pulling it altogether now we understand what's needed.

Parent Partnership lady offered to help, but she's off on holiday and the deadline is looming. I was hoping to get the report in decent shape for her final comments.

cheers

:D

-