Sign in to follow this  
soni

how can i stop him chewing?

My 4 1/2 yr old asd son wont stop chewing, he chews everything! clothes, wires, fingers you name ! but when he has totally chewed his t-shirt he has to take it off, we go through about 5/6 a day but he starts full time school in sep and hes not going to be able to change all the time or walk around half naked!

if anyone has any ideas i would be more than greatful

soni, mum of 4 1/2 yr asd,9 yr adhd and two nt teenagers.

wade went through the chewing thing when he was about 7, he would come home from school and his shirt would have huge holes in it..(thank god for charity shops!) we'd sometimes go through 2-3 shirts a day and I can't tell you how many i just sewed back together because he was driving me to bankruptcy in clothing! he still picks at his clothes (ie: pulling strings or picking at fluff) what helped us was gum and in the states thet OT gave him a chew tube.. which was esentially rubber tubing that hung around his neck loosely like a necklace and when he got the urge he could chew it..a few kids in his special needs class had them so he wasnt alone. but gum was a huge help because it curbed his need to chew his clothes..although we had to be careful he didnt' take the gum out and play with it and end up with THAT all over his clothes rather than holes! :blink:

Hi there,

You can get Chewy tubes to help with sensory issues like chewing, there was a link somewhere on a thread a while ago...

I am not too clued up on computers but i will have a look for it....

William has always chewed; his clothes, pen tops, bits of lego, basically anything he can fit into his mouth. I was really concerned that he'd choke on a bit of plastic, so I told him this little gem - Chewing plastic pen tops is carcinogenic!!!! He still chews his clothes but has since stopped putting little bits of plastic into his mouth. The may not work on a younger child, but it certainly worked on 12 year old William. I still haven't worked out how to stop him chewing his clothes; he only really does it when he's upset or tired and they are the times when I wouldn't want to say 'don't do that'.

Lauren

Hi

My son doesn't chew things but he went through a stage of biting when he was younger. It was suggested that we could try giving him a toy or flannel so that he could use that..............

Forbsay

x

Thanks to all of you

them chewy tubes sound like a good idea, does anyone know where you get them from? like the rest of you i'm more bothered about the other things he chews which he can choke on but im also worried about when hes at school like i said, once his shirt is wet he has to take it off there and then.

Thanks again everyone x

What about a piece of material like a baby comfort blanket which is just for him to chew / suck on? If it works I'd get a few in the same design / size in case he will only chew / suck that certain type.

Lisa x