Sign in to follow this  
PinkSapphireAngel

Anyone drive an automatic?

I had been learning in a manual on and off for over a year (lots of breaks due to instructor being my mate and also because I had my gallbladder removed after being very ill for long time)

We have just started lessons in her automatic, today was my second and I loved it.

Was just wondering what everyone else thinks of them and whether I am a bit useless not being able to quite get the hang of coordinating everything in a manual.

My sister got an automatic recently and the only thing she can't get used to is the points when it changes gear she says she's always thinking: "I would have changed gear before you car!" :lol:

They're great for people with dyspraxia - less co-ordination involved so I can see one of my sons going down the automatic route when he learns to drive. In the USA most people drive automatics, those driving a "stick" are not as common.

Go with the automatic - although I understand if you pass your test in one you are not qualified to drive a clutch controlled car, only an automatic but they're supposed to be almost as fuel efficient as a normal gear shift now.

They're great for people with dyspraxia - less co-ordination involved so I can see one of my sons going down the automatic route when he learns to drive.

See dh has always thought I might have Dyspraxia like my 2 eldest ds as I am so bad with coordination.

Passed in a manual but drive an auto now. Love it, so easy peasy. Only downside is finding one after you pass, if you only take test in an auto that's all you can drive, where as for example I can drive DPs car when mines broken etc. Tend to be bigger engined cars that have an auto box, mines a 4.0 :blink: and new cars they usually add extra on for autos.

I passed my test in a manual but we have an automatic at the moment and I love it. DHs car is a manual though. My parents have one of each and I drive their cars frequently also so go back and forth between the two.

I love driving an automatic though - its fab if you are going to be stuck in traffic etc.

Lynne x

I struggled to learn on a manual, so changed to an automatic when pregnant with no.3 because I had to pass.

It was 'pip-squeak' as no.3 (now 9) would say! :lol:

I have definite dyspraxic problems, and just couldn't master all that multi-tasking in a manual.

Boho :dance:

I drive an automatic. I use hand controls (my feet are not strong enough to work the pedals) so I didn't have the choice of manual or automatic because it'd be complicated and expensive to put hand controls on a manual car.

I like my car, I find it easy to drive and as far as I can tell it drives just as well as any manual car I've been in. I think sometimes there is a 'snobbery' thing because yes it's technically easier to drive than a manual car and it seems almost like people resent that sometimes.

I struggled to learn on a manual, so changed to an automatic when pregnant with no.3 because I had to pass.

It was 'pip-squeak' as no.3 (now 9) would say! :lol:

I have definite dyspraxic problems, and just couldn't master all that multi-tasking in a manual.

Boho :dance:

I am so glad to hear its not just me, I think I can do the various bits and pieces but its coordinating everything especially when you have to do it in a hurry and it really affects my confidence and concentration too.

I have had 2 lessons in the automatic (without dual controls) and my confidence is so much better and I can see myself I am better.

I agree there does seem to be some snobbery with some people about them, my dh was very anti automatic at first as he says if I pass in one then I can only drive one and not his car as its manual, but in the year I was learning in a manual he never put me on his insurance as he did not want me to drive his anyway.

i passed my test in a manual car and we later had two automatics and i truly hated them.But as k wants to learn to drive maybe an automatic may be better for him with is co ordination, but im putting off letting him lernt as im not sure is concentration is good enough, ive watched him swearing and ranting and raving at other drivers on his xb360 games

I too passed my test in a geared car, but saw a car that I fell in love with. It's quite unusual looking, it's an X90 - it's sort of a two seater four by four. Anyway, loved it to pieces, had to have it. Initially I was a bit put off because it was automatic but I found it a pleasure to drive. So relaxing. Because I didn't have to faff with gears I also usually beat people away from traffic lights - bonus!

BTW, it was only a 1.6 too, so automatics don't have to be big engines if you're not comfortable with that much power on a car (or fuel consumption).

Alas "Arthur" had to go when The Boy came along. We did buy another one recently (they're really cheap now) but this one was geared & I soon found that what I really loved about the X90 I had before was that it was automatic!

But as k wants to learn to drive maybe an automatic may be better for him with is co ordination, but im putting off letting him lernt as im not sure is concentration is good enough, ive watched him swearing and ranting and raving at other drivers on his xb360 games

Most driving games are unrepresentative of road driving including those with tilting fibreglass cars you sit in.

A driving instructor told me that if a kid can't use gears on a bike then they probably won't be able to use gears on a car. Anyone planning on learning to drive a manual should use a car with a rev counter and a driving instructor that explains how to use it. Don't stand for this listen to the sound of the engine tosh. Make sure the car is fitted with power steering if you have co-ordination problems. Not all driving school cars are fitted with rev counters and power steering.

I passed in a manual after many attempts, and have driven both manual and automatic. I prefer the response from a manual, but also like the ease of driving in congested traffic in an automatic. I think that the most important thing is getting from A to B and not how you do it, so would go for it in an automatic if you are happy driving one. I persisted out of sheer ###### mindedness to pass in a manual. It took me 3 years of off and on lessons and tests,when I may have been driving sooner if I'd gone for an automatic.

KW

Can't believe it has bleeped that out

Edited by lollypocket

I am a qualified hgv 1 & 2 driver so am fully competent in complex manual gearboxes (*5&splitter - 4 on 4 range change*) , but have had a few auto cars and love them , its just so much easier and far less hassle in stop start traffic.

I wouldnt go back to a manual unless i had to.

*Basically a splitter is like half a gear and range change is high and low ratio , ie start in 1 and go up to 4 , then up to high range and back to 1 , giving 8 gears in total.

Well if you can confidently drive an automatic then it will be better than not driving at all wont it :lol:

Good luck with it.