jen

music

Has anyone used any music to help calm there child down? How successful was this? There is one advertised by mozart which is supposed to provide a calming influence.

Jen

My kids used to go to sleep to classic music as babies, very quiet in background. Youngest is only 5 and has gone music mad, hates the quiet, oldest is opposite.

Use music at home alot. I let him chose what he likes and cos I like quite a varied amount he does too. The only problem being is many of my cd's are now scratched and sometimes the music may make him more hyperactive.

Son likes alot of rap (so we have to sift through non swearing ones first, btw I don't like rap, hehe) and he likes alot of soft stuff, bless him he know's quite a lot of the words and pretends he is the singer I would say he likes alot of eminem stuff, I think maybe some of the words/lyrics must relate to his feelings.

Best to find what your child likes and then just let him listen and play.

>:D<<'>

When my son was younger I got a hippy-dippy meditation tape from our local 'head' shop, that was just sort of gentle running water, tinkley type sounds with the odd bit of bird song and instrumental bits.

It worked very well in helping him relax once he was in bed.

Bid

Hiya, I know I'm not a kid (well technically) but music is a big part of my life when it comes to easing stress.

I would say, in my experience, it doesn't so much depend on the genre of music but the nature of the music itself. If the music is varied and goes up and down a lot, quiet and loud or gets quite dramatic or quite invigorating or makes you want to dance.....big no no. Whether it's dance music that makes you feel all pumped up or rap or rock music that can stir your emotions. Even the sheer number of different instruments used in classical music can have the adverse affect to what you're trying to achieve.

My advice is to use music you can ignore, middle ground, which I guess is why a lot of people suggest some classical music, because you can dip in and out and put it on in the background and if you want to you can forget it's there. I found people like Jack Johnson, Zero 7, Norah Jones, Badly Drawn Boy, Elbow...*opens up itunes to check for more*...Free, Turin Brakes, even Katie piggin Melua I suppose. I don't want to say bland because I'm a big fan of all this music, but they don't really go for the gut in terms of wringing out the emotions in you. Listening to Melua wail on about Nine Million Bicycles isn't going to stop you from getting to sleep, whereas a bit of Kelly Clarkson will either bring up the things you might be feeling sad about or make you want to dance on your bed. (Not that I've ever done that, ever)

Anyway hope this helps, oh and one last thing, if you put music on to go to sleep to....put the music on so that you can only just hear it. Once you stop rustling about getting into bed and everything settles down for the night the music will seem louder. I have learnt this lesson the hard way, many times before I have gone to sleep with the remote because I knew I would eventually have to turn it down and then I wake up in the morning with buttons 1-9 on my remote imprinted onto my forehead. So now I turn it down and let my ears adjust.

Badonkadonk

xxx

When my son was younger I got a hippy-dippy meditation tape from our local 'head' shop, that was just sort of gentle running water...

It worked very well in helping him relax once he was in bed.

Bid

Mind you - we did have to get a rubber sheet......... ;)

H loves "you are my sunshine" Ive sung it to him since he was a baby and that seems to calm him, he also used to like "Fields of Gold" Eva Cassidy version, he's a right mushy boy :lol:

Classical does nothing for him but he does like bands :huh:

Clare

DS listens to classical music all the time. He used to like popular music and bands but lately he just wants to listen to Baroque music though it's not what I like most. He buys his own DVD's online and he complains if I play anything else... :wacko:

B loves music of any type. He never watches TV but he loves to listen to the radio or CD player. He has no real speech but will sing simple songs and you can clearly recognise the tune and rhythm and an approximation of the words. At the moment his favourite is ging gang gooly because he has a toy snake that sings this and vibrates when you squeeze it. He sings it well enough for his teacher to recognise it when he sang it at school. He loves the response he gets when he sings it. If I sing it he laughs (probably because of the poor singing). I play a tape of nursery rhyme songs at bedtime which seems to help him settle. But he is just as happy with his dad's loud dance music CD's.