Sign in to follow this  
PinkSapphireAngel

what happens if governors say they cannot meet your child's needs

I have just been told the secondary school we wish to be named in part 4 of Luke's statement (which is not yet finalised) say they are not able to meet his special needs.

I have been reading the CoD and it seems to say that LEAs can infact over rule this.

Has anyone got any experience / advice on this?

I am currently home educating Luke myself and have been since start of term.

Great links , Brook!

I hope it works for you PSA!

I also think that there's still hope that my son goes to the school of my choice...

Curra

OK, please don't take this the wrong way, but do you think that a school that says it can't meet your son's needs would actually be the right place for him?

Even if they could really meet his needs (but didn't want to), do you think it would be a positive placement if you did manage to get the decision over-ruled and he went there?? You might find yourself constantly battling the school :(

Have you looked at any of the independent special schools that are AS-specific, as these cater for young people for whom an LEA MLD special school would not be suitable??

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid

Edited by bid

Hi Yes

LEA's can over rule, we have just had this. Schools cannot say they cannot take a child because of special needs, they are breaking the law.

Howver like the others have said, why would you want to put your child there?

The primary school our ds was transferring up to said the same and the LEA said he could go there if that was my choice.

In the end I sent him to a different school anyway, one that wanted him.

At the school I am a governor at, last year we had a similar issue. In 1 class there was to be 3 statemented children along with several others not stemented whom we knew had additional needs. The governors wrote to 1 of the parents and said we felt their needs would be better met elsewhere. If the lea had said that child must come to our school we knew that we would have to take them and do our best for the child!!!

It was just a matter of too much need in one class and not enough monet from the lea!

It may well be the school is just struggling financially and there is more demand than places. I wouldnt just take this at face value as it may well be the lea is applying pressure on the school as well to save face.

Id look at the school and see what your instincts are.

Remeber if this is not the right place the lea should be telling you whcih school they think is right????????