danielsmum

grrr housing, im going crazy please help!

hi everyone

ive live in norwich for 23 years in 2004 i moved to the country to try and give daniel a better life, sadly my daughter died and we moved back home cuz we needed more support....i lived there 4 11 months!

anyway the council wont house us becuase we are classed as outsiders now! so weve had to move into a 2 bedroom private lil house with no garden and steep stairs (if u know terrice houseres youll know what im saying)

anyhow, this proved to be more difficult than expected cuz daniel has to share with his brother..so daniel likes things tidy and organised and ash is messy, daniel likes to line things in a row and ashley will trash it and then hell breaks lose, alot of blood shed!

so we applied for housing on medical points with daniel, the school wrote a note as we have to travel to and from daily by bus as its miles away, autistic society wrote a note saying we would benifit froma 3 bedrrom house, his pedriactrtion wrote a note saying the same and i wrote a note saying what hell we r going through all 5 of us in a 2 bedroom house miles away from his school!

and guess what!!! they still wont house us!

any ideas, i wrote to the mp and he passed me onto cab and they told me to write the letters!

so grrr im going crazy!

and can anyone tell me where i get permission to put a photo under my name xxxx

I can really sympathise as we are in a similar situation with the 2 boys sharing and it's a nightmare. We desperately need more room too as the rooms themselves are very small. Even a dining room would be fantastic.

Anyway we applied for medical points in August and have just come off the phone to see whats happening and I will get a letter saying they're coming out to visit in a week or so, then it will go to a panel (who have refused us medical points before) then months later we may get a decision. Grrr!

My argument is that if the teachers refuse to be alone with G due to the risk of violence then why should his 3 year old brother have to put up with it!

Good luck and I totally understand your frustration - I have also involved our local councillor who will become involved if we get refused medical priority.

Sorry to hear about your daughter - that must be terribly hard.

About 4 and a half years ago we were in a similar position. I had to fill out a medical form for the Housing Association which gave us enough points (also our lease was due to expire and was non-renewable, plus we were over-crowded), then we had a home visit when they said we would get a house there and then, and then I sent letters from consultants and SN HV to underline the urgency.

In the end I think it took about 9 months from start to finish (moving in to the HA house).

I don't understand why some of you are being refused points on medical grounds?? I wonder if different HAs have different procedures or whether there is a standard procedure they all have to follow...it certainly seems our HA was more understanding than others :(

Good luck all >:D<<'>

Bid

Edited by bid

Hi,

I got 30 medical points for Kai as his bedroom was too small to swing a cat in, so that sounds about right. What i found out (don't know if all councils are the same) is that there isn't a specific amount of points you need for a certain type of property. It goes on how far up their "list" you are.

I also found out that you need less points for Housing Association properties than you do for council (not sure why), so make sure if (you haven't already) that you ask to be considered for both. I was recently moved from a council house to a HA house, as i was told i'd be waiting a few years for a bigger council house. Also, some housing associations do part-rent part-buy schemes if that would be suitable for you?

Have you tried applying for an assessment by the Occupational Therapist? They can do a home visit and can write a report on your housing situation and make recommendations. I think they have quite a bit of power too.

Good luck,

Loulou xx

They're classing you as outsiders because you moved away for a while? Here you only need to show that you have some kind of connection to the area. I moved away for a few years, came back, and was still re-housed.

Good luck. >:D<<'>

I was in the same situation 3 years ago.

I got a local councillor to help us and he spoke on our behalf at a special panel meeting at the council.

our old house was far to small to meet my sons needs, it was also damp and in a rough area.

we was rehomed 2 months later into a housing association house, in a nice area and much bigger.

I really feel for you as I'm in the same situation. We have been on the waiting list for 2.5 years. There are 6 of us in a 2 bed house. (Me, DH and 4 boys) We have had to move downstairs to the dining area as DS1 could no longer share with DS2. So DS1, 3 &4 have the big bedroom and DS2 has the small one. We are apparantly low priority medical so only got 4 points. (although this was 2 years ago when DS2 was first diagnosed)

The only "useful" advice our Housing Officer gave us is to privately rent somewhere bigger (we are privately renting at the moment) Like someone is going to want to rent their immaculate 3/4 bedroom house to us, with DS2 who will pull up the carpets, peel of paint/wallpaper from the rooms, scratch nails into the doors or window frames etc etc plus we would need housing benefit and the snobs round here won't like that!! There's also the fact that we'll probably lose our deposit on this place because of the damage so won't get a reference anyway!

All the while the council/HA are busily housing 3 person families in 6 person houses while telling me they haven't got any 6 person houses!

My next step is a letter to the head of housing requesting a review of our medical points and pointing out exactly why we can't rent anywhere bigger. (or as it's half term soon I might take all 4 boys to the housing office for a visit!) Then I will try the local MP who has helped out people before, and if all that fails I will go to the local paper, although that's really the last step as I really don't want to be seen in the paper.

Good luck, I really can't see why they can't house you just because you've moved away for a while. They house anyone from anywhere here! (except us!)

Just an idea but have you tried mutal exchanges. Sometimes people do want to down size. I was lucky it happened to me. In your council offices you can put in your own advert and also look for other adverts, sometimes doing it that way you get a better chnace of getting somewhere you want. Have a go at that also putting adverts in shops in the area you want to move to.

If you ask s/s to get involved I think they may be able to get letters written for supporting if they can't then try the MP.

Best of luck and I hope you get something sorted soon >:D<<'>

Have you asked the council for their policy on returning to the district? Please bear in mind different councils have different policies and this was some 13 yrs ago but, mu mum moved back into council accomodation in my area having been away for just short of three years. At that time (and it may have changed and never have applied in Norwich) if you had lived in the district for 6 out of the last 10 yrs you could apply to go on their list. She was being made homeless 100+ miles away but I got her back here.It's a long shot, I know, but ask them again. In these situations you have o keep on at them and make noises. Also dont forget to check their swap lists (many of which are on-line these days) on a regular basis.

HTH

Edited by phasmid

I have tried, and tried, and tried again :(

There is simply not enough HA houses in my area.

I'm privately renting now - and it's a huge struggle :( .

I know many people in my situation (and worse) who are also getting nowhere. Seems to differ from area to area.......... :crying:

i was in this situation-regarding private renting ect,,,,i moved from a 2 bedroomed private rent but the second room was only a box shape.............into a 3 bedroomed private rent ..........i managed to get housing benifit upped but it didnt cover it all so i payed 25 a month out of my cash................but the house was really damp...it was victorian ...heaps of space but boy it ended up making us all ill.............there was no yard or garden[u must write down all the negative points about where u are]................mold grwing on windows and in cellar...it had been flooded ....house smelled....gas bills was huge and electric and was still freezing cold.............windows were ######.......ect...............

i honestly thought id never get a council property as like some one said they just isnt enough council housing about.....since everyone has bought them...........

but i did ..........i even got a 3 bedroomed in a good area...............took me year ....but it became my goal and i wouldnt let it drop...............

i wrote letters mainly as i find they can fob u of more on the phone..................i photo copied them and sent them everywhere........ :lol:

head of housing

housing associations[cause council said they needed proof id applied to them to ]

local mp

counciller for your district

doctors

health visitor

in my case police force [had a past with ex]

i wrote real long letters about it all effected our health and mental health...............photo copied all my paperwork thast i had on my son and his appointments ect.............

dont be shy on telling it the worst it is.......................

maybe i was lucky because the private house id got was in real bad state and had many points i could argue over................like the fact it caused asthma in my son.............and i ended up in a and e one night cause i couldnt breath.............mold

i even got environmental health involved.

oh yes they were sick of hearing from me................they fobbed me off till .....i broke there will.................

please dont give in...............i know it takes up more time wring to folk but it was worth it for me .............i even went as far as sending my local mp a photo of me and my sons........... :P ....

hi there,i know how you feel hun i sold my home last year(10th of october) and my new house was not ready for three months.twas a nightmare.i had a big house and moved to a small two bedroom rental which was running with damp.it had awful storage heaters and a electric meter in the cupboard which i had to feed.i felt like a was constantly thinking do i have enough electric to do this and that it drove me mad.yes i will admit to being spoiled.but i moved out of my home everything went into storage so we didnt even have our things...my sofa would fit into the living room so for three months we sat on garden furniture...all through christmas... we didnt get our keys for the new place till the 10th of january.which means misery over christmas...being in a horrible house over christmas is the worst feeling,along with being somwhere you dont want to be..oh and to put a tin lid on things hubby went away to work on the 1st of january so i was on my tod for the second move in three months....(the only answer was drink lots of wine and beer infact in the end i was not refusing anything.lol)..... so can i send you a hug...and and i honestly hope you manage to get somwhere to live soon ...love noogsy

i know how u feel we have been on the urgent band in our area for 2 years and they still say its a 2 and a half yr plus to get into thje area wewant we rent privatly and r 9 miles away from reeces school and my job and i dont drive we rely on buses but as reece is not usually in any state to use the bus we rely on there dad to get us there but as he works nights he ends up with about 4 hrs sleep aday so we r all exhausted i wrote to my mp many times but not got anywhere also have had all the proffesssionals write letters but getting nowhere hope you get there soon i no how streessful it can be goodluck >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>