Sign in to follow this  
Sallya

My gorgeous girl

Hi all.....

my little girl (6, ADHD) has been having assessments for Aspergers....paed says that she has AS but won't give her a formal dx...she's calling it......

ADHD with Social Communication Difficulties :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Wasn't expecting this...thought they might say that she was just ADHD...worried that schools won't take that dx seriously and LEA will use it to wiggle out of statementing if we go down that route....

So do I carry on trying to get them to call it what it should be called or stick with this? Can't think straight right now...feel raw, upset and exhausted.....

s

xxx

ive had similar, our paed wouldnt give a dx of asperger because of the educational pyscologist said she gave appropiate non verbal communication whilst inside on a wet play. this pinned on the fact that my daughter aparently gently rested her hand on a boys shoulder whilst asking for a car. so she has a dx of PDD-NOS. they have said however that they will re assess her when she is 8. in the meantime we have to wait. her dx has led to loads of confusion with school staff who comment "well she hasnt actually got autism has she" i dont know what to say half the time i get so cross.

i have just applied for statutory assessment for her, and im not botherd about her dx just fighting for her individual needs to be met. i think thats all we can do. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I would wont them to dx AS if thats whot it is. Ks not dx yet and it couses hassel not just with school and dss but at dentists and docters to thay always ask if hes dx and dont take it seriasly when i say no. Pluss it may be usfull when shes older. Good luck

Did the paed give a reason for not making the AS dx formal? seems a bit strange to leave it up in tha air like this! I hope you get the help from the LEA that your daughter needs, lots of >:D<<'> to you, take care.

Her reason was that they often go together.....she said they merge into each other and sometimes one shows more than the other....I said I know that and all the more reason to give her the dual dx and not some half baked name that teachers won't take any notice of...

DS has a dx of ADHD and has ASD traits but they don't want to formally diagnose the ASD side of things because with enough understanding, help and he might 'grow out' of the traits and learn appropriate social and communication skills!

Hi all.....

my little girl (6, ADHD) has been having assessments for Aspergers....paed says that she has AS but won't give her a formal dx...she's calling it......

I would ask for a second opinion, or to be referred to someone who is an expert in ASDs (eg can unravel what is ASD and what isn't). My understanding is that ADHD can incorporate difficulties with social communication anyway, so the paed's dx is just confusing the issue. How can she say she has AS but she won't make it formal? If she lacks the confidence to make it formal, ask to see someone who can!!!

That being said, it's true that conditions can overlap. In that case, a dual-diagnosis may be appropriate, and that's very important when it comes to Statementing etc. One of the criteria my LEA uses for children applying for statutory assessment on the basis of having an ASD is that there MUST be a dx of ASD or AS.

It may seem petty, but if you're going for dx and a 'label' that'll ensure your daughter gets the support she needs, then I'd go for a recognised dx.

Hope that helps. All the best,

Lizzie x

Sallyanne,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :(

It's very frustrating, I don't think these health professionals realise how much these labels are needed .

K x

Thanks all. This is the second or could be the third or fourth opinion...lost track now..... blow her .....(hope the fence she's sitting on is a bit spikey) :whistle:

Sallyanne, >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

You must be so frustrated, to say she has AS but not give a diagnosis is madness. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Nellie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

oh no!!! half a dx is no help to anyone is it? especially not your gorgeous girl :shame: on them for not saying either way. yes there can be an overlap between conditions, but there are various traits that do not co-incide.... :wallbash:

call me paranoid, but to me it all boils down to funding......a dx of ASD would probably make a big difference between your daughter getting a statement or not..... :ph34r:

Hi all.....

Wasn't expecting this...thought they might say that she was just ADHD...worried that schools won't take that dx seriously and LEA will use it to wiggle out of statementing if we go down that route....

So do I carry on trying to get them to call it what it should be called or stick with this? Can't think straight right now...feel raw, upset and exhausted.....

s

xxx

I had my DD referred to a pead when she was in year 1, first thing I was told was that my DD just had her own agenda .. really usefull! :wallbash::wallbash:

Then in year 2 paed did a school visit and then said, hmm maybe there is more to it. We did a Connors assessment. Which at the time and with the particular teacher showed strong signs of ADHD. :hypno::huh::blink:

Then we had an appointment at the end of Year 2 with the paed who said she was wrong when she forst said DD was not on the autistic spectrum somewhere and that she thought it could be that my DD has AS. :clap::wallbash::unsure:

I then asked to be referred to CAMHS as I see them with my two boys.

Yes it took another year to get to see the Child Psychiatrist, but then we are now in year 4 and have a Dx of ASD maybe AS after all the assessments are in.

I just feel that at the Paed is not the right person to be Dx'ing ASD.

Especially with girls as I think now that school spend so much time dealing with boys with ASD and AS and ADHD that when they see a girl with the same things they don't recognise the signs as girls are so much different to boys in the way they cope and exhibit their struggles.

This is of course JMHO.

I had my DD referred to a pead when she was in year 1, first thing I was told was that my DD just had her own agenda .. really usefull! :wallbash::wallbash:

Then in year 2 paed did a school visit and then said, hmm maybe there is more to it. We did a Connors assessment. Which at the time and with the particular teacher showed strong signs of ADHD. :hypno::huh::blink:

Then we had an appointment at the end of Year 2 with the paed who said she was wrong when she forst said DD was not on the autistic spectrum somewhere and that she thought it could be that my DD has AS. :clap::wallbash::unsure:

I then asked to be referred to CAMHS as I see them with my two boys.

Yes it took another year to get to see the Child Psychiatrist, but then we are now in year 4 and have a Dx of ASD maybe AS after all the assessments are in.

I just feel that at the Paed is not the right person to be Dx'ing ASD.

Especially with girls as I think now that school spend so much time dealing with boys with ASD and AS and ADHD that when they see a girl with the same things they don't recognise the signs as girls are so much different to boys in the way they cope and exhibit their struggles.

This is of course JMHO. i adgree with you girls are harder than boys to dx i have a dd6 dx with aspergers they use to say she is shy and would out grow it when they were draging her off me and she was crying and up set all the best jill

Hi all.....

s

xxx

Hi I am catching up and just spotted your post.I thought I might be able to offer a bit of moral support.Ben has a Dx of DCD with social communication difficulties.The Psychiatrist did not think Ben has enough areas of difficulty in relation to ASD to Dx Asperger syndrome.Ben has significant support in school.I was able to argue that Ben had needs in several areas as he did not just have a Dx in one category alone-as Asperger syndrome would have been.Hence as far as I can estalish when the panel looked at his application he was given an allocation of support for each area of need-He ended up with more support than many others with Asperger syndrome.I just wanted to encourage you that although it makes things more complicated it can be done.Ben even has support from ASD outreach teacher and SALT.

I have been advised by a SENCO at a secondary school we looked at that not having a Dx ASD may cause problems in the future and I cannot decide for you what you should do re pushing for a clearer Dx.In our case we have a lot of respect for the psychiatrist and so will not put pressure on her to change the Dx at the momment.

I thought it may help to know all is not lost even if it is very frustrating. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Karen