Sign in to follow this  
butterflycake

Anyone else have a child with asd who is nonverbal?

Just wondering, as i know this site is for all levels of autism and my son has low functioning autism and some days i just feel a wee bit down as i feel so helpless. Thats it really i just needed to put these words down.

Adam is 7 and nonverbal. He did say his fierst words the othrr day but nothing since it do's show it's posible and it's one of the best days of my live. mentaly Adam is 18months so it can behard at times but the other day made it all worth while. Good luck

Hi thanks for the messages and virtual hugs :D Its just one of them days where you see kids the same age as your child chattering away and think he would have been in their class if he hadnt had autism. Dont get me wrong i love my son to bits , and tomorrow i`ll be fine again but sometimes its hard not to feel a bit down. Thats excellent news about Adam speaking, adamsmum. :thumbs:

Hi Butterflycake,

Just sending a few more >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> your way.

Sorry today has been a low day for you. :( Hope tomorrow is a little bit better.

K x

E is low functioning and non-verbal (mainly) though she can occasionally say the odd word or sentence. She is 5 now and at a special school. It is difficult sometimes, particularly when you see friends' children aged 2 who can speak and communicate better than she can, but then you get the moments when she does manage to communicate in some way, and it's a great feeling when that happens, unlike with my NT son, who sometimes drives me potty with his constant stream of chatter!

Hi Butterflycake, my son 5 is mainly non-verbal - only the occasional " bye bye get down " and "want some juice" and echoalia.

It is really hard as you dont know how they are feeling - you have to be a detective all of the time to try to figure out whats upset them, if they are unwell - whats hurting and why they are going berserk at 2 in the morning.

What a life! But i wouldn't be without him :wub:

Clare

Hi Butterflycake

Logan is 3 and low functioning - he is still completely non verbal with very little non-verbal communication in terms of gesturing etc (doesn't point, wave etc)

We are starting to see some progress with PECS though which is encouraging.

Feel free to email/pM me any time.

Lynne x

My son is 5. Low functioning and mainly non-verbal. He has a small number of words that he uses regularly such as bath and drink. Other odd words appears ocassionally but then seems to disappear again. He does pick up some simple tunes and sings them. At the moment he is singing quite clearly "Ging Gang Goolie" that he has picked up from a toy that he has. It is depressing seeing other children and seeing what he is missing out on. I try and take him out as much as possible in order to feel that we have a normal life but I have to keep him in his buggy most of the time for his safety and my sanity. He is lucky enough to have got a place in an autistic unit attached to a main stream school. He is making progress at his own pace and I can see that his receptive understanding is increasing. But it is so frustrating for him when he cannot make himself understood although my "mindreading" abilities are improving. Having said all this he is a joy to be with and very affectionate. In some ways reading posts on this site makes me feel lucky because B has no understanding that he is different and will always be clearly in the special school sector. I think things must be so much harder for higher functioning children who have to cope with a mainstream education that does not cater properly for their needs and must be so stressful for them.

Hi. My son Kyle is 4.5 and non-verbal. The only clear thing we've heard him say is "Oh Dear" although have heard him trying to count it wasn't very clear. He does PECS but only for food really as he is obssessed with eating and drinking (although he has PECS'd for bubbles a few times) It is very hard work trying to figure out what he wants or why he's crying but most of the time he is pretty easygoing although going through a very destructive phase (please let it be just a phase!) so I understand how you feel about it getting on top of you sometimes. I feel very down when I'm constantly trying to stop him wrecking yet more of our furniture.

He is starting school on Monday :crying: My baby!! He still seems so small. It's a special school and hopefully he will like it as much as he did playgroup. He's going on transport as well so I expect he'll like that.

I too feel sad when I see friends children of the same age starting school and chattering away, doing things that Kyle doesn't. Even DS3&4 chatter away at the age of 2.5.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> everyone.