Sign in to follow this  
claire33

another question

Hi again

Just me, could anyone tell me has any of your children ever suffered from seizures at all?????

I was just wondering if this is common in kids with asd???

It can be linked. My lad was tested for absense seizures when he was younger. It's when they just kind of go blank and stare into space for a few mins and close down almost. He was doing this a lot and he still does it now. He had brain scans and they found some abnormal rhythms but no epileptic traits.

~ Mel ~

It can be linked. My lad was tested for absense seizures when he was younger. It's when they just kind of go blank and stare into space for a few mins and close down almost. He was doing this a lot and he still does it now. He had brain scans and they found some abnormal rhythms but no epileptic traits.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel

Its just my k took had seizures for a while not constant maybe a few months apart thankfully he hjas,nt had any for approx 2yrs now, but his were actual fits were he would jerk, clasp his teeth together each time he would stay in the fit longer, the longest being 45 mins(which was the last) this was also the time he wet himself.

I was told its not the actual seizure that does any damage its the amount of time they are in it as there is not enough oxygen getting to the brain.

Just wondered if this could be linked that was all

My daughter is having some type of seizures she had an eeg which showed slowwaves in the left temporal in light sleep.she is having an mri scan on tuesday

my son was also having these sort of absent periods which we mentioned to the psych at our diagnoses meeting and she referred him for an eeg in case it was petit mal epilepsy. apparently there is a known link.

So if you are worried about it at all - mention it to your doc and get it checked out. :D

my son was also having these sort of absent periods which we mentioned to the psych at our diagnoses meeting and she referred him for an eeg in case it was petit mal epilepsy. apparently there is a known link.

So if you are worried about it at all - mention it to your doc and get it checked out. :D

Thanks phoebe

Hi Claire my dd has epilepsy. She was diagnosed with this before ASD. She is on medication and has rectal diazepam for when the seizures last too long. She has had an MRI scan and a CAT? scan which all proved normal. Her EEGs have shown spike waves and a problem in the front left temporal lobe (I think) long time ago since the diagnosis. They are gradually weaning her off medication as she has not had a seizure for 2 years now touch wood.

My son had an EEG done recentley due to having absences. It came back normal so we have put it down to him having a break from the world. Very odd though as when he was 1 1/2 we thought he had a hearing problem as when he was sat one day staring we clapped our hands and made loud noises behind him and he never flinched. Probably something we will never have an answer to!

my dd has epilepsy, she had a recent MRI which showed damage to the white matter throughout her brain, we were told this explained all her conditions.

A x

My son has petit mal type absences, usually due to sensory over load.

Same as Suze here... The initial problems in very early childhood pointed to petit mal absences. Years later (and after lots of examinations) it's become obvious it's a sensory shut down.

Yep - that was what we concluded with our DS in the end.

He also has this strange appearance when he is sleeping sometimes where his hands will be clenched up - almost as though in spasm - anyone else seen this?

Danny has had a couple of seizures. a few years ago. We had only arrived at the camp site 5 mins before, he was about 10/11. His 1st was a very large one with another straight after it ( he was unconscious for prob. a hour or more, & in hospital for a few days, he had another a few months later & even though his scans were OK was put on Epilim. He now refuses to take it & so far has been very lucky not to have any more ( his consultant knows & is happy for him to remain off as he understands his other difficulties ).

My nephew was dx with epilepsy although he had never had an epileptic fit, thrugh brain scan at the same time as dx weth autism.

I have had episodes of petit mal, and I think it could be linked to sensory overload or some other explanation, but I think seizures may be linked